RE: [Peterhead] Digest Number 1159

  • Becchi Oesterle
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2004
      MA does stand for Massachusetts, MD is the shortened version for Maryland.
      Also Pittsfield, MA is very near where I'm originally from. My great
      grandparents cam from Peterhead prior to Ellis Island opening. I have not
      found exactly how they got in, buy my grandmother suggested they came
      through Canada - Nova Scotia. I believe that is highly possible and
      especially those Scots that ended up in Massachusetts & Vermont. My great
      grandfather Alexander Wilson Cordiner came to Vermont at the request of a
      larget Marble quarry to recruited stone masons from Peterhead (Boddam) and
      stone carvers from Italy. The small town of Barre, Vermont has a rich
      history of Scots & Italians working in the marble industry.

      Becchi Oesterle
      St. Louis, Missouri

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:36:14 -0000
      > From: "peterscotnz" <ngratton@...>
      >Subject: Immigation to the US
      >
      >I am in new zealand and have found a branch of the family in
      >Pittsfield Mass.
      >
      >Would all imigrants in the mid to late 1800 have come in through
      >Ellis Island, or is it possible that this family would have arrived
      >in Boston or some other nearby port.
      >
      >I have no other information except that they would have been in the
      >stated in 1866 as the 1880 census shows a son of 14 born in Ma which
      >I assume is Massachutes (sorry about the spelling but I guess you
      >will know where I mean).
      >
      >Many thanks
      >
      >Noelene Gratton
      >Hamilton New Zealand

    • Anne E. Parkes
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2004
        You could try the National Archives site for Canada
        www.genealogy.gc.ca/index_e.html
        You'll find various info but to your subject, I'm of the understanding
        that many immigrants landed in Canada via Montreal and the Maritime
        provinces, then travelled by rail to their destination, some going to the
        U.S. Check the site. The site has quite an extensive list of "passenger
        lists" by date of arrival but unless you know an approximation of the
        timeline, it could be a large task. I've just ordered the passenger arrival
        list for 1910. Fortunately my grandmother specified a month of arrival in
        her 1940 Registratioin papers, even though month wasn't asked for. The
        lists aren't indexed so you can see time is needed for the searching.
        Montreal wasn't open year-round because the St. Lawrence River was frozen,
        so they entered through the Maritime provinces.
        Anne Parkes
        Toronto, Ontario, Canada
        > MA does stand for Massachusetts, MD is the shortened version for Maryland.
        > Also Pittsfield, MA is very near where I'm originally from. My great
        > grandparents cam from Peterhead prior to Ellis Island opening. I have not
        > found exactly how they got in, buy my grandmother suggested they came
        > through Canada - Nova Scotia. I believe that is highly possible and
        > especially those Scots that ended up in Massachusetts & Vermont. My great
        > grandfather Alexander Wilson Cordiner came to Vermont at the request of a
        > larget Marble quarry to recruited stone masons from Peterhead (Boddam) and
        > stone carvers from Italy. The small town of Barre, Vermont has a rich
        > history of Scots & Italians working in the marble industry.
        >
        > Becchi Oesterle
        > St. Louis, Missouri
        >

        > >Message: 1
        > > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:36:14 -0000
        > > From: "peterscotnz" <ngratton@...>
        > >Subject: Immigation to the US
        > >
        > >I am in new zealand and have found a branch of the family in
        > >Pittsfield Mass.
        > >
        > >Would all imigrants in the mid to late 1800 have come in through
        > >Ellis Island, or is it possible that this family would have arrived
        > >in Boston or some other nearby port.
        > >
        > >I have no other information except that they would have been in the
        > >stated in 1866 as the 1880 census shows a son of 14 born in Ma which
        > >I assume is Massachutes (sorry about the spelling but I guess you
        > >will know where I mean).
        > >
        > >Many thanks
        > >
        > >Noelene Gratton
        > >Hamilton New Zealand

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elisabeth Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2004
          At 02:09 PM 12/09/04, Becchi wrote:
          > My great grandfather Alexander Wilson Cordiner came to Vermont at the
          > request of a large Marble quarry to recruited stone masons from Peterhead
          > (Boddam) and
          >stone carvers from Italy. The small town of Barre, Vermont has a rich
          >history of Scots & Italians working in the marble industry.

          This is very interesting. My great grandmother's brother, Alexander (Sandy)
          YOUNG went to Barre, Vermont - and his father Thomas Young was a stonemason
          before he took up farming at Hill of Coldwells near Longhaven. Alexander's
          older brother Thomas is listed as a stonecutter in the 1881 census and his
          (A's) occupation with the LDS records a relative gave me is listed as
          granite cutter! Brother Thomas died in Glasgow but his family went to
          Canada so the plot thickens...

          Thanks for this - if anyone having relatives in this area knows any more
          I'd be interested to hear, although I'm in contact with Alexander's great
          great grand daughter also.

          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          South Hobart, Tasmania
          SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
          DAVIDSON (Strichen)