Re: [Peterhead] Immigation to the US

  • rayhennessy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
      Hi Noelene

      Ellis Island didn't open until sometime in 1892 [see http://www.ellisisland.org/genealogy/ellis_island.asp%5d. Prior to that Immigrants passed through Castle Gardens, at the lower end of Manhattan Island. I think it was the site of an old fort.

      There are passenger lists for ships entering New York. You could try http://immigrantships.net although I haven't searched the whole of this site.
      The New York Arrivals lists are on subsidiary pages indexed at: http://immigrantships.net/nycarrivals1_6.html
      Some parts of this site are still being transcribed.

      There don't seem to be very many ships listed in the early years of the 19th century. I haven't been able to find an index to these passengers which has meant searching on every ship's list as we have no idea when Sheena's great-grandmother went or returned apart from it being in the decade 1871-1881. No luck so far but we keep looking for new angles.

      Good hunting.

      Ray & Sheena
      Reading UK