Immigation to the US

  • peterscotnz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
      I am in new zealand and have found a branch of the family in
      Pittsfield Mass.

      Would all imigrants in the mid to late 1800 have come in through
      Ellis Island, or is it possible that this family would have arrived
      in Boston or some other nearby port.

      I have no other information except that they would have been in the
      stated in 1866 as the 1880 census shows a son of 14 born in Ma which
      I assume is Massachutes (sorry about the spelling but I guess you
      will know where I mean).

      Many thanks

      Noelene Gratton
      Hamilton New Zealand
    • Alistair and Denise
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
        Hi, Noelene

        I daresay there are others more knowledgeable than me (or with the nouse and
        time to Google US abbreviations!) but it occurred to me that "Ma" might also
        stand for Maryland?

        Alistair

        > I am in new zealand and have found a branch of the family in
        > Pittsfield Mass.
        >
        > Would all imigrants in the mid to late 1800 have come in through
        > Ellis Island, or is it possible that this family would have arrived
        > in Boston or some other nearby port.
        >
        > I have no other information except that they would have been in the
        > stated in 1866 as the 1880 census shows a son of 14 born in Ma which
        > I assume is Massachutes (sorry about the spelling but I guess you
        > will know where I mean).
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Noelene Gratton
        > Hamilton New Zealand

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rayhennessy
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
          Hi Noelene

          Ellis Island didn't open until sometime in 1892 [see http://www.ellisisland.org/genealogy/ellis_island.asp%5d. Prior to that Immigrants passed through Castle Gardens, at the lower end of Manhattan Island. I think it was the site of an old fort.

          There are passenger lists for ships entering New York. You could try http://immigrantships.net although I haven't searched the whole of this site.
          The New York Arrivals lists are on subsidiary pages indexed at: http://immigrantships.net/nycarrivals1_6.html
          Some parts of this site are still being transcribed.

          There don't seem to be very many ships listed in the early years of the 19th century. I haven't been able to find an index to these passengers which has meant searching on every ship's list as we have no idea when Sheena's great-grandmother went or returned apart from it being in the decade 1871-1881. No luck so far but we keep looking for new angles.

          Good hunting.

          Ray & Sheena
          Reading UK