Nicol and Clark's of Peterhead

  • lexicanada1963
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2004
      I am researching the Nicol/Clark branch of my family tree. I know the
      information shown below looks like a fair bit, but it is all I have.
      Is there any one that may recognize these names, and might be able to
      help with the continuation of this branch?

      Charles Nicol married Helen Edwards, May 3, 1855, in Peterhead,
      Aberdeen, SCT. Helen is the daughter of John Edward(s)(b. July 13,
      1811) and Helen Stevenson. She was born in 1835 in Peterhead, SCT.

      Charles worked as the publisher for the Peterhead Sentinel Newspaper.

      Children of Charles Nicol and Helen Edwards are:
      Helen Nicol b. Jan. 22, 1856, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Whinton Nicol, b. Feb. 15, 1857, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Charles Nicol, b. Sept. 9, 1858, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Janet Nicol, b. Jan 17, 1860, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Isabella Nicol, b. Sept. 25, 1861, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      John Nicol, b. June 2, 1863, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Alexander Nicol, b. 1865, d. 1865, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT
      Eliza Nicol, b. April 26, 1866, Peterhead, Aberdeen, SCT

      Helen Nicol b. Jan 22, 1856, married Thomas Johnston Smith, son of
      Ferguson Smith and Margret Coutts. He was born December 26, 1852, in
      St. Nicholas, Aberdeen, SCT. His occupation was a plumber.

      Children of Helen Nicol and Thomas Smith are:
      William C. Smith, b. 1875, Peterhead, SCT
      Nelly Smith, b. 1877, Peterhead, SCT
      Maggie C. Smith, b. 1878, Peterhead, SCT
      Al. Smith, b. 1881 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, SCT

      Isabella Nicol born Sept. 25, 1861 in Peterhead SCT was my gg
      grandmother. She married Alexander Murray Clark, October 5, 1883 in
      Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, SCT
      Their children are:
      Elizabeth Clark, b. October 30, 1883
      Alexander Clark, b. June 7, 1886
      Isabella Clark, b. January 8, 1888
      Helen Clark, b. Nov. 29, 1889
      James Clark, b. Oct 4, 1891
      Christian Clark (f), b. Nov. 20, 1892
      William Henderson Clark, b. Sept. 23, 1895
      Rebecca Clark, b. Aug. 31, 1897
      Mary Clark, b. May 15, 1901
      Jean Clark, b. March 16, 1903

      Lexi
    • Linda Adam
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2004
        Hi Lexi,

        I have no connection to your families but have found a bit of information which should help you with your Nicol branch.

        Whinton Nicol & Janet (Jessie) Watt married Oct 01, 1829 Saint Nicholas Blotter And Scroll, Aberdeen, Scotland
        There is a second registration of their Marriage dated Nov 03, 1829 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland.

        The 1841 Census; Aberdeen Burgh-Aberdeenshire, Hutcheon Street:
        Nicol, Whinton, 30, Ropemaker, b. Aberdeenshire
        Nicol, Jannet, 35 "
        Nicol, Isabella, 10 "
        Nicol, Charles, 8 "
        Nicol, Hellen, 6 "
        Nicol, Margret, 2 "
        Nicol, Will., 6 mo. "

        Death; Aberdeen, Old Machar; Reg. # 168 / 02 / 0343 :
        Whinton Routledge Nicol, Tea Dealer (Widower of Janet Watt)
        March 26 1895, 2h. p.m., 63 Chapel street, Aberdeen.
        Age 89
        Parents: Charles Nicol, Overseer at Harbour Works (deceased) & Helen Nicol m.s. Routledge (deceased)
        Cause: Influenza - 4 days
        Informant: Helen Nicol, Daughter-in-law, Present, 14 Granton Place, Aberdeen.

        Children of Whinton Routledge Nicol & Janet Watt (Source IGI), all born Saint Nicholas, Ab.:

        1. Isabella Nicol, Bap. 10 Sep 1830
        2. Charles Nicol, Bap. 17 July 1832
        3. Helen Nicol, Bap. 30 Sep 1834
        4. Isaac Nicol, Bap. 19 Nov 1836
        5. Margaret Nicol, Bap. 12 Aug 1838
        6. William Watt Nicol, Bap. 16 Nov 1840
        7. Eliza Gibb Nicol, Bap. 21 Apr 1844
        8. Whinton Nicol, Bap. 08 May 1846
        9. Janet King Nicol, B. 06 Mar 1851 Bap. 18 May 1851; Died Apr 16 1871, age 20, Old Machar, Aberdeen
        (Death cert. showed Mother, Janet Nicol m.s. Watt was deceased)

        Marriage Certificate of Charles Nicol & Hellen Edward - Ref. # 232 / 01/ 0012
        On the 3rd May at Peterhead. Marriage (after Banns) was solemnized between us, according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Free Church of Scotland.
        (Signed) Charles Nicol, Present Residence, Peterhead; Usual Residence, Peterhead
        age 22, Printer, Bachelor
        Born in Aberdeen in 1833 and registered.
        Parents: Whinton Nicol, Ropemaker & Jessie Watt
        and
        (Signed) Hellen Edward, Present Residence, Peterhead; Usual Residence, Peterhead
        age 20, Spinster
        Born & registered in Peterhead in 1835.
        Parents: John Edward, Merchant and Helen Stevenson
        Witnesses: Thomas Bowman & John Currie

        Hopefully this helps you get started with your research. Good Luck.
        Linda Adam
        Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

      • Linda Adam
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2004
          Lexi,

          The Marriage Cert. of Isabella Nicol & Alexander Clark notes Alexander's parents as follows:
          Father: James Clark, Labourer
          Mother: Elizabeth Kelman wife of John Burnett

          The IGI has a Birth for Alexander Murray Kelman, 26 Feb. 1862, Rathen, Ab., Mother; Elizabeth Kelman. No father is noted. I would assume that Alexander Murray Kelman / Clark was illegitimate but you may want to confirm this with his Birth Registration.

          I was unable to locate a marriage for James Clark & Elizabeth Kelman. Elizabeth Kelman married John Burnett 09 Jun 1866, Rathen.

          Cheers!
          Linda Adam

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2004
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Adam" <taadam@s...> wrote:
            >Linda, You are amazing. A million thank you's. We are having a
            family reunion at the end of the month, and I am to bring as much
            information as possible to the gathering. What a wonderful discovery
            you have made for us.

            Lexi,
            British Columbia, Canada