Local Peterhead Newspaper

  • rayhennessy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
      Hi list

      Please can anyone tell us what the name of the local newspaper is for Peterhead?
      Preferably one with a lo-o-ong history.

      We think it is the Buchan Advertiser but that's based on a very dodgy memory.

      Also how to contact it would be useful.

      Thanks

      Sheena & Ray Hennessy
      Reading Berkshire UK
      [anesfhs # 13148]

      [outgoing messages virus checked by Symantec]
    • Kenmalley4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
        Yes your memory serves you well The Buchan Observer. Their is a web site
        regards Kenny

      • rayhennessy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
          Thanks Kenny,
          We'll try to contact them when in the area next week.
          The web site only goes back 3 years, unfortunately.
          We need 103 years plus!! ;-)

          Ray & Sheena

          Yes your memory serves you well The Buchan Observer. Their is a web site
          regards Kenny
        • Margaret Hector
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
            For Ray and Sheena:
            Please could you find out when this paper went into business - I am looking for information about 1840.
            Cheers
            Margaret

            Yes your memory serves you well The Buchan Observer. Their is a web site
            regards Kenny

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
              As already mentioned it's The Buchan Observer. My notes say it began 16 Jan
              1863 and is available at The British Library, Newspaper Library, Colindale
              Ave, London (not sure if still same address) on microfilm. The list I have
              shows that the first film is for 1866-1868 (reference 4140/2), they only gap
              they have is for 1942 (possibly not produced that year). You can purchase
              copies of the microfilm, it cost 42 pounds + postage back in 1994, so with
              inflation who knows now.

              Before the "Buchanie" you have the Peterhead Sentinel. It was first
              published in 1856, but I can't tell you what the holdings for these are. I
              have seen references of it mentioned for May and September 1857, so they
              must be available.

              Boating accidents and other news worthy items about Peterhead appear in the
              London Times, I have found quite a few references for Peterhead by checking
              the Palmer's Index.

              Regards, Wade.
            • jasphd2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2004
                http://www.buchanie.co.uk/down_mem_lane_466px.asp
                is the address to get the on line buchanie.
                regards

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2004
                  you can veiw the buchanie and the centinal micro films at Arbuthnott
                  house museum peterhead for free

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@b...> wrote:

                  > As already mentioned it's The Buchan Observer. My notes say it
                  began 16 Jan
                  > 1863 and is available at The British Library, Newspaper Library,
                  Colindale
                  > Ave, London (not sure if still same address) on microfilm. The
                  list I have
                  > shows that the first film is for 1866-1868 (reference 4140/2), they
                  only gap
                  > they have is for 1942 (possibly not produced that year). You can
                  purchase
                  > copies of the microfilm, it cost 42 pounds + postage back in 1994,
                  so with
                  > inflation who knows now.
                  >
                  > Before the "Buchanie" you have the Peterhead Sentinel. It was first
                  > published in 1856, but I can't tell you what the holdings for these
                  are. I
                  > have seen references of it mentioned for May and September 1857, so
                  they
                  > must be available.
                  >
                  > Boating accidents and other news worthy items about Peterhead
                  appear in the
                  > London Times, I have found quite a few references for Peterhead by
                  checking
                  > the Palmer's Index.
                  >
                  > Regards, Wade.
                • rayhennessy