Re: [Peterhead] GRAYS

  • Margaret Hector
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2004
      Hi, Alex,
      My email address is akoonah@...
      Many thanks
      Margaret
      ----- Original Message -----
      From:To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 5:43 PM
      Subject: Re: [Peterhead] GRAYS

      For : Margaret Hector

      No problem Margaret,
      Just send me your personal
      e-mail address.

      Alex Ritchie.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Margaret Hector <akoonah@...>
      To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 8:12 AM

      > For Alex:
      > Please would it be possible for you to send me the Excel list of ships etc
      as mentioned below.
      > Cheers
      > Margaret

      father) was also a shipmaster in Peterhead.
      > He married Margaret Reid on August 11th.1818.
      > Also, in case Gwen doesn't have this information, William Gray &
      Christian Sangster had the following offspring :

      > Thomas (this is the one I mentioned in my earlier note - Shipmaster in
      Melbourne)
      > Born 1801 Died November 8th.1857
      > James Born 1803 Died 1821
      > Jane Born 1806 Died 1814
      > William (Gwen's ancestor) Born 1811 Died May 22nd.1859
      > Mary (William's twin sister) Born 1811
      > Christian Born 1819 Died 1820
      >
      > Would you happen to know if Gwen knows any more about the above Thomas
      Gray who was the "shipmaster in Peterhead & Melbourne". He owned a vessel
      called the WARBLER ?

      > By the way, I've gone through the "Mariners & Ships in Australian
      Waters" web-site and noted down all the Peterhead-born entries (at least to
      date). I've put them on an Excel spreadsheet giving name, rank, ship,
      voyage, date, master of ship. I can send you this file if you are
      interested.it might be of some interest to some of our fellow researchers.

      > All the Best........................Alex Ritchie

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • rayhennessy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2004
        Hi List

        Re. sending/requesting email addresses:
        Just a word of caution to all Peterheaders. From the
        attached messages everyone may not be aware of
        this. [apologies if you already know it!]

        Alex: One's email address is carried by each message
        you send to the List. I don't know about other browsers,
        but in Outlook Express one only has to double click on
        the name in the "From" field for the email address to
        appear. If you are concerned about privacy, being on
        one of these excellent Lists is not safe.

        You might also notice that when you replied to
        Margaret's original request, her email was in the
        "Original Message" header. There is very little
        privacy in the web's email system!! :-((

        I personally think it's not a problem but if you weren't
        aware of it, Alex, and are worried, you need to take
        precautions now. [[Of course, I've no idea what one
        could do about it!! Wade might advise.]]

        Re. the GRAYs,
        ---------------------
        We have a GRAY connection but only in Longside:

        The earliest was John GRAY [qtr1 1782-15 Dec 1874],
        married to Janet GEDDIE.
        Their son Malcolm GRAY [17 June 1843-24 Nov 1912],
        married to Jane WISELY 14 Dec 1886.
        Their dtr Janet GRAY [20 Sep 1867-18 June 1945],
        married to Robert THOMSON 6 July 1895.

        Malcolm GRAY had a twin brother Duncan GRAY.

        If anyone has a connection to these GRAYs,
        we would love to hear from them. We know of a
        Peterhead connection with this line but the WISELY
        line does link to Peterhead in some way.

        Best wishes

        Sheena & Ray Hennessy
        Reading Berkshire UK
        [anesfhs # 13148]

        [outgoing messages virus checked by Symantec]

        > Please would it be possible for you to send me the Excel list of ships etc
        as mentioned below.
        > Cheers
        > Margaret

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2004
          Hi Alex,

          Gwen has just joined the list today, so she will now be able to see your
          emails.

          Yes would love a copy of the spreadsheet.