Whyte/Thomson/ Families

  • snowflake3939
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2004
      Hi - I joined the group last year but I have not posted before.
      Linda Adam has been very good to me and got me started last year in
      looking for my mother's family. She was unable however to find any
      record of my great-grandparents' marriage. They were George Whyte
      and Helen Thomson. We are presuming that they were married in 1910
      because they had a celebration in 1970 for their 60th anniversary.
      They lived in Ugie Road for a very long time. They had six
      children: Flora, Alice, George, Helen (Neldie), Ruby and Jack.
      There was also a grandson that they brought up as one of their
      children (Stanley). If anyone remembers them or has connections to
      their family, please feel free to contact me. From the 1901 census
      we think that George Whyte's parents were Alexander Whyte and Jane
      Brechen and that Helen Thomson's parents were George Thomson and
      Helen Souttar. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
    • whyteres
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hello,
        I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
        and jane Brechin.

        My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
        George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
        certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
        the mother was Helenora Robertson.

        My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
        the stanley came from.

        Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?

        Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
        at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
        shop.

        I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
        his son had a shop.

        I would love to exchange further information.

        Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.
      • whyteres
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
          Dear Listers,

          The previous post was my first to the site and I apologise for not
          indicating who I was responding to .... it was "snowflake 3939"

          My dilemma that I hope someone can assist me with is:

          My great grandfather Alexander Robertson WHYTE born at Moss of Cardno
          Fraserburgh in 1862, was

          born out of wedlock to Helenora ROBERTSON and I am having trouble confirming

          the Alexander WHYTE who was his father. His mother moved around a lot and I

          have not been able to find where she was living at about the time she became

          pregnant.

          I have however discovered from family records / information that my

          GGrandfather had at least two brothers on his father's side who lived in

          PETERHEAD. They were much younger than my GGrandfather.

          One was a shop owner in PETERHEAD

          The other drove a bus in PETERHEAD and I believe for the "SUTHERLAND" bus

          company.

          I am hoping that one of you may be aware of:

          a. Any "WHYTE" who drove a bus in PETERHEAD in the first half of the 1900's

          b. Any "WHYTE" who owned a shop in PETERHEAD in the first half of the 1900's

          c. How I may be able to identify information pertaining to "a" and / or "b"

          I am pretty certain now that Alexander Whyte who married Jane Brechin is my
          GGrandfather but would like to be 100% certain.

          Thanks.

          with my best wishes,

          Colin Whyte
          Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095

          Phone: 61 8260 7524 (home)
          I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
          and jane Brechin.

          My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
          George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
          certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
          the mother was Helenora Robertson.

          My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
          the stanley came from.

          Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?

          Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
          at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
          shop.

          I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
          his son had a shop.

          I would love to exchange further information.

          Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.

          insurance company American family home owner insurance
          Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family home
          finance

          Service.

        • J Adams
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
            Colin,
            Offhand, I remember Whyte the saddler on Marischall St. and I
            think a Whyte family ran a small shop on the same street. This was during my
            time in Peterhead 1939-1950.
            Jim Adams
            > The previous post was my first to the site and I apologise for not
            > indicating who I was responding to .... it was "snowflake 3939"
            >
            > My dilemma that I hope someone can assist me with is:
            >
            > My great grandfather Alexander Robertson WHYTE born at Moss of Cardno
            > Fraserburgh in 1862, was
            >
            > born out of wedlock to Helenora ROBERTSON and I am having trouble
            confirming

            > the Alexander WHYTE who was his father. His mother moved around a lot and
            >
            > have not been able to find where she was living at about the time she
            became

            > pregnant.
            >
            > I have however discovered from family records / information that my
            >
            > GGrandfather had at least two brothers on his father's side who lived in
            >
            > PETERHEAD. They were much younger than my GGrandfather.
            >
            > One was a shop owner in PETERHEAD
            >
            > The other drove a bus in PETERHEAD and I believe for the "SUTHERLAND" bus
            >
            > company.
            >
            > I am hoping that one of you may be aware of:
            >
            > a. Any "WHYTE" who drove a bus in PETERHEAD in the first half of the
            1900's

            > b. Any "WHYTE" who owned a shop in PETERHEAD in the first half of the
            1900's

            > c. How I may be able to identify information pertaining to "a" and / or
            "b"

            > I am pretty certain now that Alexander Whyte who married Jane Brechin is
            my
            > GGrandfather but would like to be 100% certain.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >

            > with my best wishes,
            >
            > Colin Whyte
            > Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095
            >
            > Phone: 61 8260 7524 (home)
            Behalf
            > Of whyteres
            > Sent: Thursday, 5 January 2006 8:14 PM
            > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Whyte/Thomson/ Families
            >

            > Hello,
            > I am very interested in the Whyte family tree from Alexander Whyte
            > and jane Brechin.
            >
            > My great grandfather was Alexander Whyte, the half Brother of your
            > George. I also have not been able to find George's marriage. I am now
            > certain that George's father was the father of my GGrandfather and
            > the mother was Helenora Robertson.
            >
            > My father was Alexander Stanley Whyte and I have often wondered where
            > the stanley came from.
            >
            > Do you happen to know what George's occupation was?
            >
            > Family information passed down the line was that my GGrandfather had
            > at least two brothers in Peterhead - one a Bus driver and one had a
            > shop.
            >
            > I now know that your George's brother James was a "motor driver" and
            > his son had a shop.
            >
            > I would love to exchange further information.
            >
            > Colin Whyte in very hot South Australia.

            > insurance company American family home owner insurance
            > Multi family home for sale Single family home for sale Family
            home
            > finance

            > Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • whyteres
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
              Thanks Jim. Do you have any idea how I could confirm your information and
              find the first names of the Whytes. The Whytes that I think are my family
              lived at 70 Marischall Street from 1905 'ish to 1945.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                Colin,
                I remember that the Whytes who owned the small shop in
                Marischall St. had a son around my age named Fulet Whyte. The name of the
                saddler was James Whyte. The address numbers of the two stores I do not
                know. Maybe someone in the group who lives in Peterhead could help more than
                I.
                Jim Adams
                > Thanks Jim. Do you have any idea how I could confirm your information and
                > find the first names of the Whytes. The Whytes that I think are my family
                > lived at 70 Marischall Street from 1905 'ish to 1945.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > with my best wishes,
                >
                > Colin Whyte
                > Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095

              • whyteres
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                  Thanks Jim. You have been a great help.

                  Fuillet was the maiden name of James Whyte's wife Mary. They later moved
                  down to Suffolk and owned a cafe there, so it looks like I have found thje
                  right family.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 20, 2006
                    Can anyone help me with the names of shops / stores operated in Marischall
                    Street, Peterhead between 1925 and 1950 by Whytes and if possible the first
                    names of the Whytes?

                    Jim Adams has been able to help me with some infomation but I was hoping
                    that someone else may be able to help.

                    Many Thanks

                    with my best wishes from a rather warm South Australia... 42C,

                    Colin Whyte
                    1 Cormorant Way
                    Mawson Lakes, South Australia. 5095