Grays

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2004
      For : Gwen, George & Wade

      The "whaling" Grays were not really directly connected to the Grays of the Roanheads, because they originated in England. However, George has brought up an interesting connection by mentioning the Gearys.
      John Gray, son of the first David Gray, was married to Barbara Geary daughter of Alexander Geary (Peterhead's first "home grown" whaling captain) and Ann Sangster. I believe that the Christian Sangster who was married to Gwen's William Gray was the sister of Ann Sangster.

      The Geary (or Garioch) families were also Roanheads people, just like Gwen's Grays, the Sangsters and others.

      Alex Ritchie

    • george4705@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2004
        In a message dated 06/11/2004 11:38:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        alex@... writes:

        > For : Gwen, George & Wade
        >
        > The "whaling" Grays were not really directly connected to the Grays of the
        > Roanheads, because they originated in England. However, George has brought up
        > an interesting connection by mentioning the Gearys.
        > John Gray, son of the first David Gray, was married to Barbara Geary
        > daughter of Alexander Geary (Peterhead's first "home grown" whaling captain) and Ann
        > Sangster. I believe that the Christian Sangster who was married to Gwen's
        > William Gray was the sister of Ann Sangster.
        The Gray's family line in Peterhead is quite detailed in "The Whaling Years"

        Alexander Geary 1761-1809 Married c1790/ Ann Sangster bapt 7 Sept 1767
        Peterhead. Dau. of John Sangster in Ronhead. Witnessed by John & Alex Gray Buried
        in Peterhead Old Kirkyard 19 Nov 1800...The year seems to have been wrongly
        recorded as she had two children after that date.

        george