William Gray

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2004
      Hi Wade,
      Ref. your question about the Grays from the Roanheads.

      I have William Gray born c1777, son of Thomas Gray & Isabella Anderson (Parents taken from William Gray's Death Certificate)He died on May 15th.1864 aged 87 - Death Certificate 232 Entry 91 (1864) Buried May 19th.1864 in Lair C425 (St.Peters)Married to Christian Sangster on November 29th.1798 (She was buried on April 22nd.1846 aged 68 in Lair C425 (St.Peters)

      I'm not aware of Thomas Gray having any connections with a Janet Tod.

      William Gray & Christian Sangster had a son also called Thomas Gray. He was also a shipmaster and owned a vessel named "Warbler". The Peterhead burial records say he was also buried in Lair C425 on November 8th.1857 (Aged 56) but I'm a bit skeptical about that - I believe he died on his vessel either on his way to, or in Melbourne so is most unlikely to have been buried in Peterhead. His Will describes him as a "shipmaster in Peterhead and Melbourne".

      They also had another son, William Gray and he too was a shipmaster. But I don't know much about him so far. You'll see him in the 1841 census in the Roanhead

      Hope this helps a little................................Alex Ritchie

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
        Thanks for both messages Alex, I have passed them onto Gwen, she is not a
        member of the list.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2004
          > Marjory May McKenzie born 1804c (parents: James McKenzie and Margaret
          Reid)

          Sorry 1824c
        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 24, 2004
            For Gwen Wright :

            Hi Gwen,
            Ref. your note :
            "thanks alex i have all that ive got everything but the marriage details of thomas and isabell and there is no details on igi that i can find of william being born to them any suggestions".

            Well, the Death Certificate for William Gray (1864 : 232 (Entry 91) clearly shows that Thomas Gray & Isabella Anderson were his parents. But I have nothing on Thomas Gray & Isabell Anderson's marriage.
            I do, however have a transcription which I took from a Headstone in Peterhead Old Cemetery which may be of some interest to you (apologies for the gaps, the headstone wasn't in the best of condition) :

            "Erected by William Gray, Shipmaster and Christian Sangster his wife in memory of their children.
            Jean died March 29th.1814 aged 8 years, Christian died March 22nd.1820 in infancy, James died September 5th.1821 aged 19 years, and their Grandfather, Thomas Gray who died January 21st.1829 in his 86th. year.
            ...and Mary, daughter of William Gray who died March 19th.1829 in her 18th. year.....also the above Christian Sangster who died April 22nd.18_6 aged 69 years...also the above William Gray who died May 15th.1861 in his 88th. year.
            .....also their son, Thomas Gray (Shipmaster) who died at Australia on November 8th.18_1 in his 57th. year..."

            So, as you will see, I very much doubt that Thomas Gray (Shipmaster) is actually buried in Peterhead since he died in Australia !!
            although the Peterhead burial records suggest that he did. As a matter of interest, would you have any information on this Thomas Gray ? I only know that he was master and owner of a vessel named "Warbler".

            Kindest Regards.........................Alex Ritchie

          • gwen wright
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 24, 2004
              thanks alex for the further info on thomas i already had the other and i have the death cert as well as copy of wm gray snr's will. but still no further to finding isabella anderson, i guess she died before 1858 when the will was made out as there is no mention of her. i am doing research in australia for thomas gray williams son ill let u know if i find anything
              regards
              gwen
              ps thomas williams father that married isabella anderson died in 1829 in peterhead would there be a will or testament somewhere for him that may fill in the gaps?

              Alex Ritchie <alex@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • ugiepark1
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18 5:54 AM
                For Gwen :

                1851 Census Records gives Peterhead as William Gray's birthplace.

                This is probably not much help for you, but the Lair Register for
                Lair C425 (St.Peter's Cemetery (Old Cemetery)) listed as for "William
                Gray's Relatives". The details are :

                Jane Gray (8 yrs) March 29th.1814 Daughter of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                Christian Gray( Infant) Mar.22nd.1820 Dau. of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                James Gray (18) Sep.5th.1821 Son of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                Thomas Gray (85) Jan.21st.1829 Grandfather of Wm.Gray
                Christian Sangster (68) Apr.22nd.1846 Wife of William Gray Snr.
                Thomas Gray (56) Nov.8th.1857 Son, Shipmaster
                William Gray (87) May 19th.1864 Charlotte St.
                Agnes Gray (62) May 4th.1878 Prince Street

                I know this doesn't really help you with Thomas Gray & Isabella
                Anderson's wedding, but it might be of some interest.

                Do you know if Thomas GRay above (56 yrs. died 1857) really is buried
                in Peterhead. I had the impression that he might hae died aboard
                the "Warbler" between Liverpool & Melbourne ?

                Good luck with your researches

                Alex Ritchie.
              • gyphania
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18 7:38 PM
                  thanx alex not sure if he is buried in peterhead or not only going
                  by death details
                  what makes u think he died on the 'warbler' and do u have info on
                  the warbler and thomas gray connection
                  have already below details thanx
                  gwen

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "ugiepark1" <alex-
                  jean.ritchie@...> wrote:

                  > For Gwen :
                  >
                  > 1851 Census Records gives Peterhead as William Gray's birthplace.
                  >
                  > This is probably not much help for you, but the Lair Register for
                  > Lair C425 (St.Peter's Cemetery (Old Cemetery)) listed as
                  for "William
                  > Gray's Relatives". The details are :
                  >
                  > Jane Gray (8 yrs) March 29th.1814 Daughter of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                  St.
                  > Christian Gray( Infant) Mar.22nd.1820 Dau. of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                  St.
                  > James Gray (18) Sep.5th.1821 Son of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                  > Thomas Gray (85) Jan.21st.1829 Grandfather of Wm.Gray
                  > Christian Sangster (68) Apr.22nd.1846 Wife of William Gray Snr.
                  > Thomas Gray (56) Nov.8th.1857 Son, Shipmaster
                  > William Gray (87) May 19th.1864 Charlotte St.
                  > Agnes Gray (62) May 4th.1878 Prince Street
                  >
                  > I know this doesn't really help you with Thomas Gray & Isabella
                  > Anderson's wedding, but it might be of some interest.
                  >
                  > Do you know if Thomas GRay above (56 yrs. died 1857) really is
                  buried
                  > in Peterhead. I had the impression that he might hae died aboard
                  > the "Warbler" between Liverpool & Melbourne ?
                  >
                  > Good luck with your researches
                  >
                  > Alex Ritchie.

                • alex-jean Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19 8:36 AM
                    Hi Gwen,

                    I seem to recall something in his Will (it's a
                    long time since I looked at it in NAS, Edinburgh).

                    You probably know it better than I do. I
                    probably mis-read it or confused it with someone else)

                    Best Regards......Alex Ritchie

                    thanx alex not sure if he is buried in peterhead or not only going
                    by death details
                    what makes u think he died on the 'warbler' and do u have info on
                    the warbler and thomas gray connection
                    have already below details thanx
                    gwen

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,
                    "ugiepark1" <alex-
                    jean.ritchie@...> wrote:

                    > For Gwen :
                    >
                    > 1851 Census Records gives Peterhead as William Gray's birthplace.
                    >
                    > This is probably not much help for you, but the Lair Register for
                    > Lair C425 (St.Peter's Cemetery (Old Cemetery)) listed as
                    for "William
                    > Gray's Relatives". The details are :
                    >
                    > Jane Gray (8 yrs) March 29th.1814 Daughter of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                    St.
                    > Christian Gray( Infant) Mar.22nd.1820 Dau. of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                    St.
                    > James Gray (18) Sep.5th.1821 Son of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                    > Thomas Gray (85) Jan.21st.1829 Grandfather of Wm.Gray
                    > Christian Sangster (68) Apr.22nd.1846 Wife of William Gray Snr.
                    > Thomas Gray (56) Nov.8th.1857 Son, Shipmaster
                    > William Gray (87) May 19th.1864 Charlotte St.
                    > Agnes Gray (62) May 4th.1878 Prince Street
                    >
                    > I know this doesn't really help you with Thomas Gray & Isabella
                    > Anderson's wedding, but it might be of some interest.
                    >
                    > Do you know if Thomas GRay above (56 yrs. died 1857) really is
                    buried
                    > in Peterhead. I had the impression that he might hae died aboard
                    > the "Warbler" between Liverpool & Melbourne ?
                    >
                    > Good luck with your researches
                    >
                    > Alex Ritchie.

                  • gyphania
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19 7:32 PM
                      u got me there alex never seen thomas will ive got his fathers
                      william
                      but no mention of thomas on it
                      gwen

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "alex-jean Ritchie" <alex-
                      jean.ritchie@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Gwen,
                      >
                      > I seem to recall something in his Will
                      (it's a
                      > long time since I looked at it in NAS, Edinburgh).
                      >
                      > You probably know it better than I do. I
                      > probably mis-read it or confused it with someone else)
                      >

                      > Best Regards......Alex Ritchie

                      On
                      > Behalf Of gyphania
                      > Sent: 19 February 2007 03:38
                      > To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [Peterhead] Re: William Gray
                      >

                      > thanx alex not sure if he is buried in peterhead or not only going
                      > by death details
                      > what makes u think he died on the 'warbler' and do u have info on
                      > the warbler and thomas gray connection
                      > have already below details thanx
                      > gwen
                      >
                      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogrou <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
                      ps.com,
                      > "ugiepark1" <alex-
                      > jean.ritchie@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > For Gwen :
                      > >
                      > > 1851 Census Records gives Peterhead as William Gray's birthplace.
                      > >
                      > > This is probably not much help for you, but the Lair Register
                      for
                      > > Lair C425 (St.Peter's Cemetery (Old Cemetery)) listed as
                      > for "William
                      > > Gray's Relatives". The details are :
                      > >
                      > > Jane Gray (8 yrs) March 29th.1814 Daughter of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                      > St.
                      > > Christian Gray( Infant) Mar.22nd.1820 Dau. of Wm.Gray, Charlotte
                      > St.
                      > > James Gray (18) Sep.5th.1821 Son of Wm.Gray, Charlotte St.
                      > > Thomas Gray (85) Jan.21st.1829 Grandfather of Wm.Gray
                      > > Christian Sangster (68) Apr.22nd.1846 Wife of William Gray Snr.
                      > > Thomas Gray (56) Nov.8th.1857 Son, Shipmaster
                      > > William Gray (87) May 19th.1864 Charlotte St.
                      > > Agnes Gray (62) May 4th.1878 Prince Street
                      > >
                      > > I know this doesn't really help you with Thomas Gray & Isabella
                      > > Anderson's wedding, but it might be of some interest.
                      > >
                      > > Do you know if Thomas GRay above (56 yrs. died 1857) really is
                      > buried
                      > > in Peterhead. I had the impression that he might hae died aboard
                      > > the "Warbler" between Liverpool & Melbourne ?
                      > >
                      > > Good luck with your researches
                      > >
                      > > Alex Ritchie.

                    • D
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 6, 2012
                        Some information on the voyage of the Warbler, please check the link below

                        http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1854/09/059war.htm

                        Kind Regards

                        David Davidson