Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths in WWI

  • J Adams
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello Carolyn,
      I would very much like to see the work that you have done on the WW1
      deaths. I volunteer in the archives of the Museum Of The Regiments in
      Calgary and if you need help with any of the Peterhead-Canadians I will see
      what I can do.
      Thanks,
      Jim Adams
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hello Carolyn;
        I have a great story written by my uncle Pat Bruce who survived WWI in the Gordon Highlanders. He does not name many names, but he talks of serving with other boys (he was 17) from Peterhead. He was one of six survivors who were with a Lt. Kerr who received the Victoria Cross for holding up the German advance with their machine gun until it ran out of ammunition and they were captured. The story ran in the Fraserburgh newspaper years ago, titled, I Was There. I could send it to you if your mailbox has the capacity.
        Regards
        William Leslie
        Orillia, Ontario, Canada
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • carolyn morrisey
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi, William,

          Thanks for your response. I'd love a copy of the article you mentioned. Hopefully my computer will cope. (How big IS this file???)

          Regards

          Carolyn

          --
          Carolyn Morrisey
          Readings and Reserve Officer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
            Hi Carolyn, I would also like to receive your WW 1 file. Betty.
          • 2Barbara Croker
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2004
              Yes, please Carolyn, I would love to have a copy of these 300 or so
              servicemen and their details. Regards, Barbara
              Please send to barbcroker@...
              Thanks very much

              >From: Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...>
              >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths in WWI
              >Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:42:09 +1000
              >
              >As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
              >died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
              >in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
              >be interested.
              >The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
              >enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
              >general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
              >eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
              >place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
              >name of next of kin.
              >I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
              >interested I will forward the file (Excel).
              >I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
              >information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
              >
              >In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
              >my research on the web at:
              >http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
              >
              >Cheers
              >Carolyn

              Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
              http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2
            • Sheryl Messier
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2004
                Yes, please Carolyn, I would very much appreciate a copy of these 300 or so
                servicemen and their details.
                Please send to sheryl_messier@...

                Thanks so much

                > Yes, please Carolyn, I would love to have a copy of these 300 or so
                > servicemen and their details. Regards, Barbara
                > Please send to barbcroker@...
                > Thanks very much
                >
                > >From: Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...>
                > >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths in WWI
                > >Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:42:09 +1000
                > >
                > >As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                > >died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
                > >in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
                > >be interested.
                > >The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                > >enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                > >general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                > >eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                > >place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
                > >name of next of kin.
                > >I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                > >interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                > >I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                > >information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                > >
                > >In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
                > >my research on the web at:
                > >http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                > >
                > >Cheers
                > >Carolyn

                > Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
                > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • aclubb2004
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2004
                  Carolyn

                  Can I jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of your offer by
                  sending me your spreadsheet of WW1 names?

                  Thanks
                  Alan
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Morrisey
                  <carolyn.morrisey@l...> wrote:
                  > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                  > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                  born
                  > in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who
                  may
                  > be interested.
                  > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                  > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                  > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                  > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                  > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and
                  the
                  > name of next of kin.
                  > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                  > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                  > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                  > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                  >
                  > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have
                  put
                  > my research on the web at:
                  > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Carolyn
                • moresmall
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2004
                    Carolyn
                    I too would love a copy of your WW1 list, I have recently discovered
                    a few of my ancestors died during this time. Thanks - Maureen, New
                    Zealand.

                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "aclubb2004" <a.clubb@v...> wrote:
                    > Carolyn
                    >
                    > Can I jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of your offer by
                    > sending me your spreadsheet of WW1 names?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Alan
                    > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Morrisey
                    > <carolyn.morrisey@l...> wrote:
                    > > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives
                    who
                    > > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                    > born
                    > > in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who
                    > may
                    > > be interested.
                    > > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born;
                    where
                    > > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                    > > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very
                    general
                    > > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of
                    Regiment/unit;
                    > > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age
                    and
                    > the
                    > > name of next of kin.
                    > > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                    > > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                    > > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                    > > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                    > >
                    > > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I
                    have
                    > put
                    > > my research on the web at:
                    > > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Carolyn
                  • rayhennessy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 15, 2004
                      Carolyn

                      We have only just joined the group so this is new to us.
                      Are you interested in someone born & lived in Methlick for your register?

                      We have a William [was Wilson] IRONSIDE, died over the Somme.
                      He was orginally in the Gordon Highlanders but died in the AFC.
                      We guess he transferred to the flying corps sometime in 1916/7.
                      He was aged 34 which seems old to be flying those feeble planes.
                      We'd assumed the pilots were gung-ho youngsters.
                      The average active pilot's life was as little as 3 days at that time.
                      Still, William doesn't seem to have been married so at least he
                      didn't leave a bereft and dependant family behind.

                      If you want we can let you have details of his burial.
                      It is recorded at the War Graves Commission website:
                      http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=35404

                      Regards

                      Sheena & Ray Hennessy
                      Reading Berkshire UK
                      [anesfhs # 13148]

                      [outgoing messages virus checked by Symantec]

                      > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                      > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                      > born in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone
                      > who may be interested.
                      > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                      > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                      > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                      > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                      > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and
                      > the name of next of kin.
                      > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                      > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                      > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                      > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                      >
                      > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have
                      put
                      > my research on the web at:
                      > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Carolyn

                    • Ed Campbell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 24, 2004
                        Hello Carolyn:

                        I would be interested in receiving a copy of subject at your convenience.

                        Thanks,

                        Ed. Campbell