Peterhead deaths in WWI

  • Carolyn Morrisey
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
      As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
      died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
      in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
      be interested.
      The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
      enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
      general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
      eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
      place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
      name of next of kin.
      I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
      interested I will forward the file (Excel).
      I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
      information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.

      In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
      my research on the web at:
      http://www.carolynmorrisey.com

      Cheers
      Carolyn
    • Celtic Mist
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
        Yes Carolyn, Please Send the exceFile to vze32fr8@... Thank You Art Thomson

        Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...> wrote:As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • J Adams
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hello Carolyn,
          I would very much like to see the work that you have done on the WW1
          deaths. I volunteer in the archives of the Museum Of The Regiments in
          Calgary and if you need help with any of the Peterhead-Canadians I will see
          what I can do.
          Thanks,
          Jim Adams
          > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
          > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
          > in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
          > be interested.
          > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
          > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
          > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
          > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
          > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
          > name of next of kin.
          > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
          > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
          > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
          > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
          >
          > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
          > my research on the web at:
          > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
          >
          > Cheers
          > Carolyn

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
            Hello Carolyn;
            I have a great story written by my uncle Pat Bruce who survived WWI in the Gordon Highlanders. He does not name many names, but he talks of serving with other boys (he was 17) from Peterhead. He was one of six survivors who were with a Lt. Kerr who received the Victoria Cross for holding up the German advance with their machine gun until it ran out of ammunition and they were captured. The story ran in the Fraserburgh newspaper years ago, titled, I Was There. I could send it to you if your mailbox has the capacity.
            Regards
            William Leslie
            Orillia, Ontario, Canada

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2004
              Hi, William,

              Thanks for your response. I'd love a copy of the article you mentioned. Hopefully my computer will cope. (How big IS this file???)

              Regards

              Carolyn

              --
              Carolyn Morrisey
              Readings and Reserve Officer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                Hi Carolyn, I would also like to receive your WW 1 file. Betty.
              • 2Barbara Croker
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2004
                  Yes, please Carolyn, I would love to have a copy of these 300 or so
                  servicemen and their details. Regards, Barbara
                  Please send to barbcroker@...
                  Thanks very much

                  >From: Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...>
                  >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths in WWI
                  >Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:42:09 +1000
                  >
                  >As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                  >died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
                  >in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
                  >be interested.
                  >The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                  >enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                  >general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                  >eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                  >place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
                  >name of next of kin.
                  >I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                  >interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                  >I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                  >information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                  >
                  >In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
                  >my research on the web at:
                  >http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                  >
                  >Cheers
                  >Carolyn

                  Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
                  http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2
                • Sheryl Messier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2004
                    Yes, please Carolyn, I would very much appreciate a copy of these 300 or so
                    servicemen and their details.
                    Please send to sheryl_messier@...

                    Thanks so much

                    > Yes, please Carolyn, I would love to have a copy of these 300 or so
                    > servicemen and their details. Regards, Barbara
                    > Please send to barbcroker@...
                    > Thanks very much
                    >
                    > >From: Carolyn Morrisey <carolyn.morrisey@...>
                    > >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead deaths in WWI
                    > >Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:42:09 +1000
                    > >
                    > >As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                    > >died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers, born
                    > >in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who may
                    > >be interested.
                    > >The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                    > >enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                    > >general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                    > >eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                    > >place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and the
                    > >name of next of kin.
                    > >I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                    > >interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                    > >I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                    > >information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                    > >
                    > >In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have put
                    > >my research on the web at:
                    > >http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                    > >
                    > >Cheers
                    > >Carolyn

                    > Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
                    > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • aclubb2004
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2004
                      Carolyn

                      Can I jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of your offer by
                      sending me your spreadsheet of WW1 names?

                      Thanks
                      Alan
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Morrisey
                      <carolyn.morrisey@l...> wrote:
                      > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                      > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                      born
                      > in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who
                      may
                      > be interested.
                      > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                      > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                      > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                      > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                      > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and
                      the
                      > name of next of kin.
                      > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                      > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                      > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                      > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                      >
                      > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have
                      put
                      > my research on the web at:
                      > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Carolyn
                    • moresmall
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2004
                        Carolyn
                        I too would love a copy of your WW1 list, I have recently discovered
                        a few of my ancestors died during this time. Thanks - Maureen, New
                        Zealand.

                        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "aclubb2004" <a.clubb@v...> wrote:
                        > Carolyn
                        >
                        > Can I jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of your offer by
                        > sending me your spreadsheet of WW1 names?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Alan
                        > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Carolyn Morrisey
                        > <carolyn.morrisey@l...> wrote:
                        > > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives
                        who
                        > > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                        > born
                        > > in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone who
                        > may
                        > > be interested.
                        > > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born;
                        where
                        > > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                        > > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very
                        general
                        > > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of
                        Regiment/unit;
                        > > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age
                        and
                        > the
                        > > name of next of kin.
                        > > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                        > > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                        > > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                        > > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                        > >
                        > > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I
                        have
                        > put
                        > > my research on the web at:
                        > > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                        > >
                        > > Cheers
                        > > Carolyn
                      • rayhennessy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 15, 2004
                          Carolyn

                          We have only just joined the group so this is new to us.
                          Are you interested in someone born & lived in Methlick for your register?

                          We have a William [was Wilson] IRONSIDE, died over the Somme.
                          He was orginally in the Gordon Highlanders but died in the AFC.
                          We guess he transferred to the flying corps sometime in 1916/7.
                          He was aged 34 which seems old to be flying those feeble planes.
                          We'd assumed the pilots were gung-ho youngsters.
                          The average active pilot's life was as little as 3 days at that time.
                          Still, William doesn't seem to have been married so at least he
                          didn't leave a bereft and dependant family behind.

                          If you want we can let you have details of his burial.
                          It is recorded at the War Graves Commission website:
                          http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=35404

                          Regards

                          Sheena & Ray Hennessy
                          Reading Berkshire UK
                          [anesfhs # 13148]

                          [outgoing messages virus checked by Symantec]

                          > As a result of some research I was doing on Peterhead relatives who
                          > died in WWI, I have acquired quite a few names of other soldiers,
                          > born in Peterhaed or nearby, which I am happy to send on to anyone
                          > who may be interested.
                          > The information consists of Name; Service number; where born; where
                          > enlisted; date of death; theatre of war where died (this is very
                          > general ie "France & Flanders");Cause of death (again very general
                          > eg "Killed in action/"died of Wounds" etc); Name of Regiment/unit;
                          > place of burial/memorial; and in about 30 percent of cases, age and
                          > the name of next of kin.
                          > I have about 300 names - too many to list here. If anyone is
                          > interested I will forward the file (Excel).
                          > I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have any
                          > information on Peterhead relatives etc who died in this War.
                          >
                          > In addition, if anyone has any interest in the Baird Family, I have
                          put
                          > my research on the web at:
                          > http://www.carolynmorrisey.com
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Carolyn

                        • Ed Campbell
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 24, 2004
                            Hello Carolyn:

                            I would be interested in receiving a copy of subject at your convenience.

                            Thanks,

                            Ed. Campbell