Re: [Peterhead] Wade, FARQUHAR/PATERSON

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2004
      Hi Catherine,

      I found Catherine and John's marriage certificate in 1878, see attached. Catherine's parents were given as William Patterson, Cooper (deceased) and Betsy Patterson ms Gray. This would mean William and Betsy married, but I found none in the OPR's and there was only two William Paterson deaths in Peterhead before 1878. William Paterson, Cooper who married Janet Mathew died 1868 and their son William died 1876 at sea.

      I tried looking for Bessy Gray's death between 1901-1930 but couldn't find, was hoping to see if it indicated a second marriage.

      The interesting thing is Catherine P. Forrest, daughter in the 1861 Census. Not Paterson or step daughter, yet marriage certificate gives Paterson.

      I think we would need to look to see if Catherine's birth is mentioned in the Kirk Session records, but unfortunately they haven't been filmed.

      The mystery continues.
      Wade.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2004
        Hi Wade,
        Where does Ancestry.com get all their dates from, as I have Catherine's birth from them.
        By them there are 4 William Paterson's in Peterhead around the same time, all Cooper's.

        I have William Paterson's death cert who married Janet Matthew but it does'nt mention Bessy Gray as a wife, but Bessy's father was married twice and the first wife is'nt on his death cert either.

        Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Janet Matthew a son William brn 16-7-1854
        witnesses; John and Alexander Matthew.

        Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Bessy Gray a dau Catherine Farquhar brn 1847 **********
        witnesses; Alexander Matthew and Hector Gray.

        Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Margaret Kettie his wife a son William brn 9-1-1848
        witnesses; Henry Mason and Alexander Reid.

        Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Margaret Rennie a dau Catherine Anderson brn 18-3-1850
        witnesses; William Downie and James Stepehn.

        I hope this is'nt all the same man.
        Thanks,
        Catherine

        I don't have the marriage of Catherine Farquhar Patterson to John Souttar/Suttar.
        Her death is at the end of the message.

        Maybe William Patterson and Bessy Gray were'nt married when Catherine Farquhar Patterson was born, but they both went on to marry, Bessy to George Forrest in 1849, and William to Janet Matthew in 1851.
        It's a big coincedence that Catherine has Farquhar as a middle name and William's mother's maden name are the same.

        What do you think?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2004
          Hi Catherine,

          I know the last two are the same. The OPR gives Rettie not Kettie. They can be found in the 1851 Census with children Margaret aged 5, William aged 3 and Catherine aged 1. Both William Patterson aged 33 and Margaret Rettie/Rennie aged 26 are born in Macduff, Banffshire. They married 27/09/1845 in Gamrie, Ban.

          I checked the originals on OPR and found some important information left out from what you had.

          1847 12th October William Paterson, Cooper in Peterhead and Bessy Gray had a daughter born (in fornication) 11th August - baptised and named Catherine Farquhar, before Alexander Matthew and Hector Gray (232/1 Vol 4 Page 281).

          So my assumptions are we have two William Paterson, Coopers. William Paterson born 1818c from Macduff married to Margaret Rettie and the other William Paterson born 1826c parents William Paterson and Janet Farquhar who had a child in fornication with Bessy Gray in 1847 and then married Janet Matthew in 1851.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2004
            Hi Wade,
            Many thanks for figuring this one out.
            I have Catherine Farquhar Peterson's death cert and she has William Patterson (Cooper) and Bessy Gray as her parents.

            Best wishes,