Re: [Peterhead] Wade, FARQUHAR/PATERSON

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2004
      Hi Catherine,

      This is what I know on this branch.

      William Paterson married Janet Farquhar 25/07/1817 Peterhead. William died before the 1851 Census and Janet died 1870 aged 77. His occupations have been give as weaver, flax dresser or draper and cooper (son's death certificate).

      I've found the following children:
      Janet Paterson b 1822 Phd married to James Davidson (Shoemaker) 11/11/1841 Phd my GGG-Grandparents
      William Paterson (Cooper) b 1826 d 1868 Phd married to Janet Matthew 05/09/1851 Phd
      Jane Paterson b 1829 Phd or Crimond married to William Gray (Slater) 18/10/1855 Phd (parents William Gray, mason and Jean Rennie)

      So yes, there is a Cooper occupation and a Gray connection (not Hector), but can't see how it matches with yours, unless both William and Bessy remarried in 1851 or weren't married the first time.

      I haven't found William in the 1851 census and your Catherine is with grandparents Hector and Catherine Gray without Bessy. So are they somewhere else together or no connection?

      It would seem unusual that Catherine was given the Farquhar middle name without it having some connection to it. How you found Catherine's marriage or death?

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi Wade,
        I don't have the marriage of Catherine Farquhar Patterson to John Souttar/Suttar.
        Her death is at the end of the message.

        1861 census
        George Forrest, head, mar, 50, Labourer
        Bessy do, wife, mar, 35
        Catherine P. do, dau, 13, scholar
        James do, son, 9, scholar
        Agnes do, dau, 5, scholar

        1881 census
        8E Kirk St
        John Souttar, head, mar, 30, Cooper
        Catherine do, wife, mar, 33
        James do, son, 13
        Betsy do, dau, 2
        John do, son 1

        1891 census
        29 Seagate St
        John Suttar, head, mar, 37, Cooper
        Catherine P. do, wife, mar, 44
        Bessie do, dau, 13, scholar
        John do, son, 11, scholar
        Catherine do, dau, 9, scholar
        Margaret do, dau, 7, scholar
        James ? do, son, 4

        1901 census
        23 Tolbooth Wynd
        John Suttar, head, mar, 50, Cooper
        Catherine do, wife, mar, 54
        Catherine do, dau, 19, fishworker
        Maggie do, dau, 16, fishworker
        James do, son, 14, scholar
        Bessie Forrest, mother in law, widow, 99? or 79 ****************

        1930 death
        Catherine Suttar
        widow of John Suttar, Cooper
        died 24th Nov 1930
        4hr 4mn A.M.
        33 Windmill St Peterhead
        85 years
        father; William Patterson, Cooper, deceased
        mother, Bessy Patterson, MS Gray, deceased
        Bronchitis
        informant; George Mackie, son
        65 Loch St, Aberdeen

        The informant on Catherine's death, a son George, there is also another brother to him Frank and they lived with George and Bessy Forrest on the 1881 census night. How they fit in is beyond me at the moment as I can't find a birth or death for them on GRO.

        On the 1881 census for Catherine and John Suttar they have a son aged 13 then a big gap to a daughter aged 2 and another son age 1.

        Maybe William Patterson and Bessy Gray were'nt married when Catherine Farquhar Patterson was born, but they both went on to marry, Bessy to George Forrest in 1849, and William to Janet Matthew in 1851.
        It's a big coincedence that Catherine has Farquhar as a middle name and William's mother's maden name are the same.

        What do you think?

        Best wishes,
        Catherine

        I'm interested in your search of William Paterson and Janet Farquhar married in 1817.

        I have a William Paterson and Bessy Gray who had a daughter in 1847, Catherine Farquhar Paterson.
        From Ancestry;
        William Paterson, cooper in Peterhead and Bessy Gray, a daug, Catherine Farquhar, born 11 Aug 1847, bap 12 Oct 1847 before Alexander Matthew and Hector Gray.

        I don't know what happened to William as Bessy Gray remarried in 1849 to George Forrest.

        Do you have any info on William and Janet's children that they had a son William, and if so could this be him in my family.

        Many thanks,
        Catherine
        Perth, W.A.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2004
          Hi Catherine,

          I found Catherine and John's marriage certificate in 1878, see attached. Catherine's parents were given as William Patterson, Cooper (deceased) and Betsy Patterson ms Gray. This would mean William and Betsy married, but I found none in the OPR's and there was only two William Paterson deaths in Peterhead before 1878. William Paterson, Cooper who married Janet Mathew died 1868 and their son William died 1876 at sea.

          I tried looking for Bessy Gray's death between 1901-1930 but couldn't find, was hoping to see if it indicated a second marriage.

          The interesting thing is Catherine P. Forrest, daughter in the 1861 Census. Not Paterson or step daughter, yet marriage certificate gives Paterson.

          I think we would need to look to see if Catherine's birth is mentioned in the Kirk Session records, but unfortunately they haven't been filmed.

          The mystery continues.
          Wade.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2004
            Hi Wade,
            Where does Ancestry.com get all their dates from, as I have Catherine's birth from them.
            By them there are 4 William Paterson's in Peterhead around the same time, all Cooper's.

            I have William Paterson's death cert who married Janet Matthew but it does'nt mention Bessy Gray as a wife, but Bessy's father was married twice and the first wife is'nt on his death cert either.

            Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Janet Matthew a son William brn 16-7-1854
            witnesses; John and Alexander Matthew.

            Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Bessy Gray a dau Catherine Farquhar brn 1847 **********
            witnesses; Alexander Matthew and Hector Gray.

            Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Margaret Kettie his wife a son William brn 9-1-1848
            witnesses; Henry Mason and Alexander Reid.

            Wm Paterson (Cooper) and Margaret Rennie a dau Catherine Anderson brn 18-3-1850
            witnesses; William Downie and James Stepehn.

            I hope this is'nt all the same man.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2004
              Hi Catherine,

              I know the last two are the same. The OPR gives Rettie not Kettie. They can be found in the 1851 Census with children Margaret aged 5, William aged 3 and Catherine aged 1. Both William Patterson aged 33 and Margaret Rettie/Rennie aged 26 are born in Macduff, Banffshire. They married 27/09/1845 in Gamrie, Ban.

              I checked the originals on OPR and found some important information left out from what you had.

              1847 12th October William Paterson, Cooper in Peterhead and Bessy Gray had a daughter born (in fornication) 11th August - baptised and named Catherine Farquhar, before Alexander Matthew and Hector Gray (232/1 Vol 4 Page 281).

              So my assumptions are we have two William Paterson, Coopers. William Paterson born 1818c from Macduff married to Margaret Rettie and the other William Paterson born 1826c parents William Paterson and Janet Farquhar who had a child in fornication with Bessy Gray in 1847 and then married Janet Matthew in 1851.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2004
                Hi Wade,
                Many thanks for figuring this one out.
                I have Catherine Farquhar Peterson's death cert and she has William Patterson (Cooper) and Bessy Gray as her parents.