King Edward Parish

  • Richard Lyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      This is to all members of tbis group to say that I have just acquired
      a copy of James Godsman's book, published in 1948, of the History of
      the Parish of King Edward. This includes, apart from much detail on
      the landed gentry of the parish, many pages of the records of the
      tenantry from early ages onwards. It is not a very " readable " book.
      It also lacks an index.There is much record of the occupants of
      almost every farm and croft, sometimes from the 1700's, and then
      throughout the 1800's and into the 1900's, occasionally earlier.
      However it is a marvellous record of those who lived in the parish,
      with names, dates, and so on, as a record of any parish it is
      probably the best of its kind.

      After trawling IGI and Scotlandspeople I have found some of my
      ancestors in this book that are not recorded on these data bases.

      If any member of this group has ancestors from King Edward Parish I
      will be pleased to try to find them for you.... but please remember
      that for each enquiry,if it is a name only, unless my failing memory
      does not produce an early " hit" I will have to read through some
      400 pages, so the more information you can give me the better. Each
      tenantry is headed up by the farm or croft name so if you have this
      this, perhaps from an OPR entry this would speed up any reply I am
      able to give..... otherwise the utmost patience will be needed.

      With regards to all members of this group,

      Richard Lyon

      richard.s.lyon@m...
      and /or
      rlyon@b...