Peterhead Seamen

  • joanne.pye
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hi Wade and everyone,

      I was wondering, do you have any information on the following 2 seamen
      please?

      Shand McKINNON born approx 1818 in Peterhead. He was a ship's keeper,
      Ticket No: 34985 - BT 98/2680. I think he may have died either on board the
      COLUMBIA in 1851 or in Greenland whilst working. I think he was the son of
      John McKINNON and Isabella RIACH nee RAE.

      I realise I have asked you about Shand before but as I've been given this
      additional information, I thought I'd ask your advice. I hope you don't
      mind. Do you know where this death is likely to have been recorded?

      Also, do you have anything about James MILNE born approx 1829 Crimond,
      ticket number 129347 / BT/98/2680. I believe he was on the ships DUBLIN of
      Peterhead and ENTERPRISE of Peterhead. I'd be really grateful if you could
      tell me anything about this man as I'm hoping he is a brother to my Charles
      MILNE.

      Thank you very much for any information you can offer and thank you also for
      your time.

      Joanne
      Researching in Peterhead: MILNE, KINLOCH, McKINNON, RIACH, WALKER
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
        Hi Joanne,

        I guess your new information is from the Seamen's Crewlist 1851 CD by Liz Hore. I don't have any extra merchant marine information and as they were both away in Greenland whaling, they don't appear in the 1851 Census.

        Shand McKinnon died 6th April 1851 in the Greenland area whilst whaling, the comments say cause unknown. In other crew agreements I've seen, the cause is usually given for accidents eg. falling from rigging. This might suggest it was a medical condition. The other problem is the death was before civil registration, so you will not get a death certificate. The whaling boats were known to pick up extra crew in the Shetlands, so Shand could have been buried at sea, the first Port of return ie. Shetlands or somewhere else or returned to Peterhead and buried in a family plot.

        Since you know the ticket numbers for both of them, you can get the Seamen's Ticket information, which should give the date of birth and physical description. I'd also suggest checking to see if he was buried in Peterhead knowing the year and the unusual name.

      • joanne.pye
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
          Hi Wade,

          Thank you so much for your help with this, I'll certainly now try and find
          out where he was buried. I was given the information from someone who has
          the CD you mentioned and thank you for your suggestion of obtaining his
          information, I'll try that too!

          Thanks again,