Re: 1851 Census

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 13, 2004
      MessageHi Ian,

      Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
        Hi Wade,
        I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
        Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
        Ontario Canada.
        Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
        born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
        died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
        They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
        His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
        they came from Peterhead.
        Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
        Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
          Hi Diana,

          I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

          I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

          This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

          Peterhead 1851 Census
          District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
          Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
          Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
          Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

          Regards, Wade.

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
            Wade,
            I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
            where to find that.
            Thanks for all your help. Diana.

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 25, 2004
              Diana,

              The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

              The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                Hi Martin,

                District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                  Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                  father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                  He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                  involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                  disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                  is all I know.

                  ----