Re: Help required dating Buchanhaven photo

  • andy_auk
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
      Hi Wade -

      I may be able to help with some of the tee-names. I have a 'map'
      somewhere that Bill Nicol gave me some years before he died and on it
      he drew a sketch of the village and wrote down all the tee-names he
      could remember. Using the 1891 and 1901 census', we could have a good
      stab at finding out the proper names. I have actually done this but
      as you know, I have not spent much time on genealogy since Bill died.

      Interestingly, I have loads of original notes which Bill made over
      the years and he and I used to exchange info very regularly. I came
      across some cassette tapes containing a narrative of Bill walking
      round Peterhead Cemetery and recording the grave stones ontp tape. I
      have often thought this would be good to transfer onto DVD and have
      it available for members if not for the actually info but to hear
      hear Bill's voice in the lovely doric.

      I'll make a wee start again and let you know how I get on.

      Kind regards

      Andy Anderson.

      -- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@b...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm trying to date a group photo of some men taken in front of the
      Buchanhaven pier. I think it was taken between 1920 to 1944.

      > Can anyone tell who these people are? Family?
      >
      > "Dads" Strachan
      > "Sovreign" I think this is Robert Bruce, lived in Well Street,
      wife "Kitty Doo" (don't know ages)
      > Jake Lyon
      > "Doddieky" Big Jim Strachan
      > "Dall's Bob"
      > "Dooe's Aikie's" wife's sister
      > Dick Bruce (this is Dickson Comrie Bruce born 1866 died 1944)
      > "Boggies Donald"
      > Charlie Baird
      > Fittie's Williamy (this is William Buchan born 1867 died 1947, my
      Great Grandfather)

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
        Hi Andy,

        Good to hear from you again.

        I have a copy of Bill's map, but only a few pages of the 1901 census for Buchanhaven, so couldn't really work out anything worth while. Most of the tee-names on the photo weren't on his map, which is why I asked the question to the group, hoping someone would recognise a name.

        I now know that Charles Baird died 1940, so the photo was taken before then.

[...]

      • Sylvia Cowe Nascimben
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
          Wade,

          Do you have the photo posted? I would like to show to my mother. She
          left Peterhead in 1930 within the timeframe you have identified for
          the photo.

          Sylvia Cowe Nascimben

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
            Hi Sylvia,

            I do now. I haven't linked it to any of the Peterhead pages, but use the link below to see the photo.

            http://users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen/bhavenmen.html

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2004
              Hi Andy,
              I would love to hear Bill Nicol's recording of the Peterhead Cemetary
              gravestones, when you have finished it. How can you share this - is it
              possible, with you I'm assuming, in the U.K. and me in sunny ('hot!') Lake
              Macquarie, Australia.
              Regards, Barbara

              >From: "andy_auk" <andy@...>
              >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Help required dating Buchanhaven photo
              >Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:31:08 -0000
              >
              >Hi Wade -
              >
              >I may be able to help with some of the tee-names. I have a 'map'
              >somewhere that Bill Nicol gave me some years before he died and on it
              >he drew a sketch of the village and wrote down all the tee-names he
              >could remember. Using the 1891 and 1901 census', we could have a good
              >stab at finding out the proper names. I have actually done this but
              >as you know, I have not spent much time on genealogy since Bill died.
              >
              >Interestingly, I have loads of original notes which Bill made over
              >the years and he and I used to exchange info very regularly. I came
              >across some cassette tapes containing a narrative of Bill walking
              >round Peterhead Cemetery and recording the grave stones ontp tape. I
              >have often thought this would be good to transfer onto DVD and have
              >it available for members if not for the actually info but to hear
              >hear Bill's voice in the lovely doric.
              >
              >I'll make a wee start again and let you know how I get on.
              >
              >Kind regards
              >
              >Andy Anderson.
              >

              >-- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@b...> wrote:
              > > Hi All,
              > >
              > > I'm trying to date a group photo of some men taken in front of the
              >Buchanhaven pier. I think it was taken between 1920 to 1944.
              > >
              > > Can anyone tell who these people are? Family?
              > >
              > > "Dads" Strachan
              > > "Sovreign" I think this is Robert Bruce, lived in Well Street,
              >wife "Kitty Doo" (don't know ages)
              > > Jake Lyon
              > > "Doddieky" Big Jim Strachan
              > > "Dall's Bob"
              > > "Dooe's Aikie's" wife's sister
              > > Dick Bruce (this is Dickson Comrie Bruce born 1866 died 1944)
              > > "Boggies Donald"
              > > Charlie Baird
              > > Fittie's Williamy (this is William Buchan born 1867 died 1947, my
              >Great Grandfather)
              > > Boddam Isies Jim
              > >
              > > Regards, Wade.

              SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here
              http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/