Help required dating Buchanhaven photo

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
      Hi All,

      I'm trying to date a group photo of some men taken in front of the Buchanhaven pier. I think it was taken between 1920 to 1944.

      Can anyone tell who these people are? Family?

      "Dads" Strachan
      "Sovreign" I think this is Robert Bruce, lived in Well Street, wife "Kitty Doo" (don't know ages)
      Jake Lyon
      "Doddieky" Big Jim Strachan
      "Dall's Bob"
      "Dooe's Aikie's" wife's sister
      Dick Bruce (this is Dickson Comrie Bruce born 1866 died 1944)
      "Boggies Donald"
      Charlie Baird
      Fittie's Williamy (this is William Buchan born 1867 died 1947, my Great Grandfather)
      Boddam Isies Jim

    • andy_auk
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
        Hi Wade -

        I may be able to help with some of the tee-names. I have a 'map'
        somewhere that Bill Nicol gave me some years before he died and on it
        he drew a sketch of the village and wrote down all the tee-names he
        could remember. Using the 1891 and 1901 census', we could have a good
        stab at finding out the proper names. I have actually done this but
        as you know, I have not spent much time on genealogy since Bill died.

        Interestingly, I have loads of original notes which Bill made over
        the years and he and I used to exchange info very regularly. I came
        across some cassette tapes containing a narrative of Bill walking
        round Peterhead Cemetery and recording the grave stones ontp tape. I
        have often thought this would be good to transfer onto DVD and have
        it available for members if not for the actually info but to hear
        hear Bill's voice in the lovely doric.

        I'll make a wee start again and let you know how I get on.

        Kind regards

        Andy Anderson.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
          Hi Andy,

          Good to hear from you again.

          I have a copy of Bill's map, but only a few pages of the 1901 census for Buchanhaven, so couldn't really work out anything worth while. Most of the tee-names on the photo weren't on his map, which is why I asked the question to the group, hoping someone would recognise a name.

          I now know that Charles Baird died 1940, so the photo was taken before then.

[...]

        • Sylvia Cowe Nascimben
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
            Wade,

            Do you have the photo posted? I would like to show to my mother. She
            left Peterhead in 1930 within the timeframe you have identified for
            the photo.

            Sylvia Cowe Nascimben

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
              Hi Sylvia,

              I do now. I haven't linked it to any of the Peterhead pages, but use the link below to see the photo.

              http://users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen/bhavenmen.html

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 22, 2004
                Hi Andy,
                I would love to hear Bill Nicol's recording of the Peterhead Cemetary
                gravestones, when you have finished it. How can you share this - is it
                possible, with you I'm assuming, in the U.K. and me in sunny ('hot!') Lake
                Macquarie, Australia.
                Regards, Barbara

                >From: "andy_auk" <andy@...>
                >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Peterhead] Re: Help required dating Buchanhaven photo
                >Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:31:08 -0000
                >
                >Hi Wade -
                >
                >I may be able to help with some of the tee-names. I have a 'map'
                >somewhere that Bill Nicol gave me some years before he died and on it
                >he drew a sketch of the village and wrote down all the tee-names he
                >could remember. Using the 1891 and 1901 census', we could have a good
                >stab at finding out the proper names. I have actually done this but
                >as you know, I have not spent much time on genealogy since Bill died.
                >
                >Interestingly, I have loads of original notes which Bill made over
                >the years and he and I used to exchange info very regularly. I came
                >across some cassette tapes containing a narrative of Bill walking
                >round Peterhead Cemetery and recording the grave stones ontp tape. I
                >have often thought this would be good to transfer onto DVD and have
                >it available for members if not for the actually info but to hear
                >hear Bill's voice in the lovely doric.
                >
                >I'll make a wee start again and let you know how I get on.
                >
                >Kind regards
                >
                >Andy Anderson.
                >

                >-- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@b...> wrote:
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > I'm trying to date a group photo of some men taken in front of the
                >Buchanhaven pier. I think it was taken between 1920 to 1944.
                > >
                > > Can anyone tell who these people are? Family?
                > >
                > > "Dads" Strachan
                > > "Sovreign" I think this is Robert Bruce, lived in Well Street,
                >wife "Kitty Doo" (don't know ages)
                > > Jake Lyon
                > > "Doddieky" Big Jim Strachan
                > > "Dall's Bob"
                > > "Dooe's Aikie's" wife's sister
                > > Dick Bruce (this is Dickson Comrie Bruce born 1866 died 1944)
                > > "Boggies Donald"
                > > Charlie Baird
                > > Fittie's Williamy (this is William Buchan born 1867 died 1947, my
                >Great Grandfather)
                > > Boddam Isies Jim
                > >
                > > Regards, Wade.

                SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here
                http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/