Peterhead Burials

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2004
      For Barbara :

      Hi Barbara,
      the Peterhead burial records are not on the Internet. I researched them by making many visits to the Peterhead Registrar's Office and noting down people I thought would be of interest to me. I'm not aware of any other ways of doing it (unfortunately).
      The Aberdeen & North-East Scotland FHS were meant to release them on CD (for sale), but the project seems to have stalled for some reason. I know personally the man who inputted ALL the data from the Peterhead burial records (all cemeteries) to their database and he completed that around 2 years ago....so I don't know what the hold up is.

      I guess you're maybe not in a position to visit Peterhead and look up the records yourself ? If you are a member of this FHS maybe you could e-mail them and ask what the status of the project is ? Or maybe someone at the FHS could look up specific individuals for you (I know they do have the records on their computers at their shop). They will make a small charge for this...but nothing like the charge the Registrar at Peterhead now makes for a visit.

      Good Luck in your search........................Alex Ritchie.

    • Ed Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2004
        Alex Ritchie wrote: "the Peterhead CD has not been released yet"

        I trust Alex or someone will let us know when this CD is available.

        It's tough living so far away, eh!!!

        Ed. Campbell, (basking in the plus 9C sunshine!)

        Edmonton, Alberta Canada

      • Jonny
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011
          Hi I have just come across this old 2004 post. Does anyone know if this CD ever was made available?

          Or would all these records have gone onto the Scots Origins website now anyway?

          However Peterhead burial records are mentioned here as going to be on Deceased Online.com:

          http://growyourownfamilytree.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/40000-more-scottish-burial-records-go-online-including-peterhead/

          This says:

          'Over 16,000 records, dating back to 1615, for a second Peterhead cemetery, St Peter's Churchyard, are currently being worked on and will be completed and uploaded shortly.'

          So does this mean these records do not appear on Scots Origins?

          If anyone can advise I would be most grateful.

          Thanks,
          Jon

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Ed Campbell <edcampbl@...> wrote:

          > Alex Ritchie wrote: "the Peterhead CD has not been released yet"
          >
          > I trust Alex or someone will let us know when this CD is available.
          >
          > It's tough living so far away, eh!!!
          >
          > Ed. Campbell, (basking in the plus 9C sunshine!)
          >
          > Edmonton, Alberta Canada

        • John & Margaret Hector
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011

            Hi, the CD of the Peterhead Church yard were made available. From memory I think it was the Buchan Family History Group who produced them.

            Cheers

            Margaret

          • hazelholt@googlemail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011
              The cd's are available from The Family History Society of Buchan. You can contact them on info@....

              From: "John & Margaret Hector" <akoonah@...>
              Sender: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:00:17 +0800
              To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Re: Peterhead Burials

            • Kenmalley4@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                Here is the web address for the group   http://www.buchanroots.co.uk/
                                                                                                          regards Kenny

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2011

                  Hi I have just come across this old 2004 post. Does anyone know if this CD ever was made available?

                  Or would all these records have gone onto the Scots Origins website now anyway?

                  However Peterhead burial records are mentioned here as going to be on Deceased Online.com:

                  http://growyourownfamilytree.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/40000-more-scottish-burial-records-go-online-including-peterhead/

                  This says:

                  'Over 16,000 records, dating back to 1615, for a second Peterhead cemetery, St Peter's Churchyard, are currently being worked on and will be completed and uploaded shortly.'

                  So does this mean these records do not appear on Scots Origins?

                  If anyone can advise I would be most grateful.

                  Thanks,
                  Jon

                  Hi Jon,

                  I see others have replied with the CD details, but I suggest a combination of the CD and the actual Lair records from Deceased Online.

                  The CD will give you the inscription on the headstone and a picture.  Just remember there are just as many Lairs that do not have any headstones and also people buried in Lairs not mentioned on the headstone.  Therefore I’d search Deceased Online for a death and lair details and then use the CD to check for a headstone and picture.

                  Regards,

                  Wade.