OGSTONS

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
      For Betty Holmes :

      Hi Betty,
      The dates I gave for Robert Ogston & Helen Dunbar were BURIAL DATES (which I copied from the Lair Registers for Peterhead Old Cemetery). The Lair Registers were compiled sometime in the 1800s from the gravediggers books and so post-dated many of the burials. But the information in them is largely accurate...I have found a few discrepancies but, on the whole they are very good records of Peterhead burials. The actual death dates would only be 2 or 3 days prior to the burial dates, although these death dates might be difficult to find for events prior to 1855.

      As Pamela has said, a "Lair" is the plot of ground an individual or family would have purchased for the purposes of burial of family and sometimes friends. Long ago there did not seem to be much restriction on how many people got buried in a Lair and, looking at the Peterhead Lair Register books, some Lairs must have been really crammed full !!
      Also in the Cemetery there is what is called "Common Ground" where people who could not afford a family plot would get buried. They would simply be assigned a Common Ground Lair by the gravediggers and would be sharing a lair with whoever happened to be there already. But these burials too are all recorded and referenced to a Lair Number.

      Best Regards................................................Alex Ritchie

    • 2Barbara Croker
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
        Hi Alex,
        I found you information about Lair registers interesting. How do I look up
        burials - can I do it on the net? OR at the Mormon Church records? In
        particular, I think that an ancester of mine, Girzzel (Grace) MILNE (nee
        Davidson), died around 1840,1841, but before the 1841 census because she
        didn't appear then with the rest of the family. She had a daughter,
        Christian born in1841 (my GGgrandmother). I haven't beenable to find her
        deat recorded in Peterhead. Thanks for any help from you or anyone.
        Regards, Barbara

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
          For Catherine (CCI) :

          Hi Catherine,
          On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :

          1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
          2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on him
          3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
          4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)

          Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?

          Alex Ritchie

        • colin collie
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
            Hi Alex
            Do you have anything on the shipmasters called Collie on Rosebud, Rosebud 2
            The Olive Branch and other boats that I can't remember there names.
            All the best
            Colin

            >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
            >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [Peterhead] OGSTONS
            >Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:46:05 -0000
            >
            >For Catherine (CCI) :
            >
            >Hi Catherine,
            > On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead
            >shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :
            >
            >1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
            >2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on
            >him
            >3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
            >4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)
            >
            > Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?
            >
            > Alex Ritchie

          • colin collie
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
              Hi Alex

            • george4705@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                "The Whaling Years" Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland mentions John
                Ogston as Master of the Perserverance being lost at Greenland in May 1840 and
                his writing to the National Institution for life from shipwreck, commending
                Captain John Gray and the crew of the Eclipse for saving him and his crew of 45.

                george

              • Cci
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Hi Alex,
                  It does'nt look like there was another Ogston shipmaster.
                  I typed in OGSTON and SHIPMASTER, and only the names you gave me came up with entries and other shipmasters with different surnames.
                  I wrote all the John Ogston's and the one you quoted died in 1846 born 1794.
                  The last child I could find was born in 1840, so John was around 46 when she was born.

                  Catherine 19-11-1826 wit Robert Ogston and George Anderson
                  John 7-8-1829 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                  Robert 6-8-1831 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                  George Anderson 18-12-1832 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                  Alexander 29-8-1834 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                  William 10-9-1836 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                  Margaret Forbes 14-10-1838 wit Robert Ogston and Keith Forbes
                  Amelia 12-12-1840 wit John Anderson and William Ogston

                  Best wishes,
                  Catherine

                  On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :

                  1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
                  2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on him
                  3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
                  4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)

                  Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?

                  Alex Ritchie

                  Multi family home for sale Family home finance

                • Alex Ritchie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                    For Catherine :

                    Many thanks Catherine, looks like I've got all the OGSTONS (Shipmasters) on
                    my list.

                    Best Regards................Alex Ritchie.

                    > It does'nt look like there was another Ogston shipmaster.
                    > I typed in OGSTON and SHIPMASTER, and only the names you gave me came up
                    with entries and other shipmasters with different surnames.
                    > I wrote all the John Ogston's and the one you quoted died in 1846 born
                    1794.
                    > The last child I could find was born in 1840, so John was around 46 when
                    she was born.

                    > Catherine 19-11-1826 wit Robert Ogston and George Anderson
                    > John 7-8-1829 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                    > Robert 6-8-1831 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                    > George Anderson 18-12-1832 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                    > Alexander 29-8-1834 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                    > William 10-9-1836 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                    > Margaret Forbes 14-10-1838 wit Robert Ogston and Keith Forbes
                    > Amelia 12-12-1840 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                    >
                    > Best wishes,
                    > Catherine

                    insurance company American family home owner insurance
                    > Multi family home for sale Family home finance

                    Service.

                    ----

                    11/5/2005