Re: [Peterhead] Birnie Birth / Death

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hi Linda,
      Ancestry.com has quite a lot of info about John Birnie's in Peterhead as a ship master, merchant, cooper, flesher, draper. If you would like me to send it to you, please contact me on cci@...

      Catherine

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Linda Adam
      To: peterhead@yahoogroups.com ; anesfhs-members
      Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 1:00 AM
      Subject: [Peterhead] Birnie Birth / Death

      Dear List Members,

      I have been searching for information on the birth and death of John Murison Birnie, my G uncle. The Scotlandspeople web site has given me no result for either his birth or death even with doing very open end searches.

      From a photo taken of the Monumental Inscription in Peterhead Kirkyard I have the following information:
      William S. Birnie, died 21 May, 1927, aged 77 years (my G grandfather)
      His Wife: Agnes Walker, died 7th Aug, 1921, aged 68 years (my G grandmother)
      Their Sons: John Murison, died 19 Aug, 1888, aged 4 years
      and Thomas Smith, died 23 Mar, 1958, aged 66 years.

      It would seem that this is not the original stone for John Murison Birnie but rather a memorial. Perhaps he was actually buried with other family members??

      Are there other sources that could be checked for John Murison Birnie's birth and death? My mother also feels that there was another male child born to William Spence Birnie and Agnes Walker as she had always been told by my grandfather that there were 9 boys .. a baseball team .. I have names for only 8.

      Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Linda Adam
      Kitchener, Ontario
      Canada

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2004
        Hi Linda,

        You could be right in that it is just a memorial and they didn't die in Scotland. A possible way of checking is to get a copy of the lair record, to see if they are buried in that plot.