Re: [Peterhead] OGSTON ( shoemaker in Peterhead)

  • Sharon Inkster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      Pamela,
      I have a few more children for your Robert Ogston ( shoemaker ) in Peterhead
      May 5,1794 Robert Ogston (shoemaker in Peterhead) bap: John, witness: John
      Ogston / William ?
      March 11,1799 Robert Ogston ( )bap: William, witness: William Ogston /
      William Rhind
      March 8,1801 Robert Ogston( ) bap: Robert, witness: James Rhind / John
      Ogston
      Oct.3,1802 Robert Ogston ( ) bap: George, witness: John Ogston / Robert
      Birnie
      June 24,1804 Robert Ogston ( ) bap: James, witness: James Brown / John
      Ogston
      Nov.24,1806 Robert Ogston ( ) bap: Gordon Dunbar, witness: John Ogston /
      John Bennett
      Oct. 8,1809 Robert Ogston ( ) bap: Alexander, witness: John Ogston / John
      Bennett

      Sharon
      researching Ogston's in Cruden
    • Andrew & Pamela
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi Sharon

        Thank you for that. I did find the two extra boys the other day while on Scots Origins I think. Gordon was listed as "Garden"! The fact that his second name is Dunbar would lead me to think that their mother was indeed Helen Dunbar. Anybody out there who has any knowledge of the mother of this family?

        Greetings and Happy New Year to all the group

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Cci
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hi Pamela,
          Is this info of any help.

          Register of Baptisms Peterhead Vol. 4 1833-1854 A-L

          Hay. Robert, cooper in Peterhead a daughter. Margaret Dunbar Ogston, baptised 21 July 1843 before James Hay and Allan Thomson.

          Catherine

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
            Hello there.

            This is interesting because Lair 201 (where my GGGrandmother Williamina is buried) is owned by Ogston & Hay. I guess Margaret Dunbar Ogston HAY was named after friends of Robert the cooper.

            Thanks from Pamela----- Original Message -----

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hello again!

              My Williamina was Williamina Ogston nee Anderson born about 1805, married John Ogston Shipmaster on 16/ 02/ 1823 and proceeded to have a big family (9). She died aged 40 on 21/02/1845. I donĀ“t have any knowledge of her cause of death. If they are the same then one of the 9 children will be your GGrandparent.

              I am still trying to verify if Robert Ogston born /christened 1862 died possibly 26/01/1830 was married to Helen Dunbar. I do have verification of the children (7) but there seems to be no mention of mother in those days. I chose to research the Ogstons because the name is relatively uncommon but I have had quite a surprise at how many there are. Also the family names of Robert, John and Alexander not to mention the female ones keep cropping up in sibling families. My niece in Canada is getting on the case now so with her help I aim to get a lot more information.

              Good to hear from you so quickly.

              Pamela