For Derek Cuthbert

  • usstweedy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hello Derek

      Margaret Wallace was my G-grandmother. She was born 8-19-1828 in
      Peterhead. Margaret married William Lilly Barclay on 7-12-1849,
      Peterhead.They had one son William Lilly Lendrum Barclay born in
      Peterhead on 11-12-1849. The father (William Lilly) die in Peterhead
      in 1851 at the age of 22 and is burried at The Auld Kirkyard
      Cemetery on South Road, Peterhead. The lair was purchased by
      Margaret's father William Wallace. Margaret later married my G-
      grandfather Peter Allan in Peterhead on 2-14-1854. Margaret died on
      1-4-1903 at 35 Miller Street,Aberdeen.

      I have not been able to trace William Lilly Lendrum Barclay, so if
      you can give me the information it will help me tie up some loose
      ends. If I can give you any other info let me know and I'll pass it
      on to you.

      Regards
      Jim Allan
    • Derek Cuthbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Dear Jim,
        Aren't mailing lists wonderful!!!
        My wife's maiden name was Barclay and the trail started from her father
        William Barclay then her grandfather George Barclay. The best thing to do is
        to reproduce the notes I have about her Great grandfather William which is
        what lead me to post on the list. This is the information:

        Ward's directory for South Shields 1926 shows a Mrs Sarah Barclay as a
        butcher at 49 Westoe Road. This is the address given on the marriage
        certificate of William Barclay at his marriage to Eleanor Pyle Wilkinson in
        1936 , my wife's parents. There is also a reference to 21 Agnes Street South
        Shields and this was followed up in the 1881 Census index. The 1881 Census
        showed the following information:

        Index Ref 5011/23/40 21 Agnes Street South Shields

        William Barclay Head 30 House Joiner Sct
        Sarah Barclay Wife 25 Blyth NBL
        Phillip Barclay Son 4 Jarrow
        Elizabeth Barclay Dau 2 South
        Shields
        Philip Davison B in L 22 Ships Carpenter Blyth NBL

        The 1891 Census for the same address showed the following information:

        William Barclay Head 40 Joiner Peterhead SCT
        Sarah Barclay Wife 35 Blyth Northumberland
        Phillip Barclay Son 14 Jarrow
        Elizabeth Barclay Dau 12 South Shields
        William Barclay Son 9 South Shields
        Alfred Barclay Son 7 South Shields
        Jemima Barclay Dau 4 South Shields
        Issac Barclay Son 2 South Shields

        The names of the siblings are the same as the family memories plus the fact
        that George the unborn son called his son William all bears out the fact
        these are the Great Grand parents of Carole Barclay. The other fact from the
        1881 census is that Sarah's maiden name was Davison on the basis that the
        Bro in law was her brother.
        The dates of birth of the first five children comes from a Census of School
        Children in South Shields June to July 1887. The original is in Tyne and
        Wear Archive Blanford Street Newcastle upon Tyne.

        The 1901 Census gave the following information:
        Piece 4726 Folio 43
        60 Alma Street South Shields
        Barclay William 52 Joiner Carp
        Scotland
        Barclay Sarah 44
        Blyth NBL
        Barclay Effy 22
        Barclay William 19 Joiner
        Barclay Alfred 17 Butcher
        Barclay Jemima 14 Tailors Machinist
        Barclay Issac 12
        Barclay George 10
        Barclay Joseph 7
        Barclay Sarah. E 2

        A search of the Free BMD site for marriage for William Barclay came up with
        William Lillie Barclay and Sarah Davidson Mar 1876 South Shields. This
        needs to be followed up in the PRs at South Shields library.

        The above marriage was checked out in the South Shields parishes. It was
        found at St Paul's Jarrow.
        The grooms fathers name was William and the brides fathers name was Philip
        Davison. The details are: 9th March 1876 St Paul's Jarrow
        William Lillie Barclay 25 Batchelor Joiner Jarrow William Barclay
        Cooper
        Sarah Davison 20 Spinster Jarrow Philip
        Davison Carpenter.

        A search of the IGI Online found WILLIAM LILLY LENDRUM BARCLAY born 1st
        November 1849 and christened 12 November 1849. This ties in with the name
        in the marriage and the age in the 1901 Census (52). The parents are WILLIAM
        LILLY BARCLAY and MARGARET WALLACE. This child was born in Peterhead
        Aberdeen which ties in with Census information. Again an IGI online search
        found the marriage of WILLIAM LILLY BARCLAY and MARGARET WALLACE on 12 Jul
        1849 at Peterhead Aberdeen. As Civil Registration didn't start in Scotland
        until 1 Jan 1855 these findings will have to be checked through the
        Peterhead Parish Registers.

        Wade Buchan in Australia offers look ups in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
        With the information on this family he found the following information.
        1851 Peterhead Census
        District 12 Page 2 No 10.
        1 Thistle Street Peterhead
        Margaret Barclay Hd W 22 Cooper's Wid. Peterhead
        William Lillie L Barclay Son 1
        Peterhead.
        It appears from this that William Lilly Barclay was married on 12 JUL 1849
        and died before April 1851.

        In the email from Wade Duncan giving the 1851 information about the family
        of WILLIAM LILLY LENDRUM BARCLAY, the following information was given that
        suggests these are the parents of WILLIAM LILLY BARCLAY, the father of
        WILLIAM LILLY LENDRUM BARCLAY.

        1851 Census District 4 Page 17 No.84
        Charlotte Street

        George Barclay Head 60 Tailor Cruden
        Mary Barclay Wife 66 Cruden
        Elizabeth Barclay Dau 29 Peterhead
        William Barclay GSon 7 Peterhead

        Death No 139 Mary Barclay wife of a Tailor died 27/11/1858 at 6am at
        6Charlotte Street female aged 75 years, parents THOMAS LENDRUM, tailor
        (deceased) and JEAN LENDRUM ms CASSIE (deceased), cause paralysis for ten
        months, informant GEORGE BARCLAY, his mark, husband, present.
        I look forward to hearing from you and hopes this ties up some of your
        loose ends
        Derek
      • Derek Cuthbert
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          My apologies to the group for posting that long message. I should of course
          just sent it to Jim, a senior moment and excitement!!!
          Derek Cuthbert