OGSTONS

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
      For Pamela & Betty :

      I don't know the circumstances of Robert Ogston & Helen Dunbar's deaths. What I have are the Lairs in the Old Cemetery :

      Lair A200 : Owner(s) - Ogston & Hay, Seamen

      Robert Ogston (67 years) Jan.26th.1830 Father of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      Helen Dunbar (63 years) Nov.18th.1830 Mother of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      John Ogston (3 years) Dec.3rd.1840 Son of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      Alexander Ogston (14 months) Feb.21st.1843 Son of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      Alexandrina Ogston (23 years) Aug.31st.1871 Daughter of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      Isabella Ogston (60) Sept.18th.1871 Wife of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster
      Robert John Ogston (2.5 years) March 15th.1873 Son of R.D.Ogston, Aberdeen
      Elizabeth Dunbar Ogston (1.5) June 5th.1873 Daughter of R.D.Ogston, Aberdeen
      Annie Ogston (19 days) March 21st.1885 Marischal Street
      Alexander Ogston (77 years) June 21st.1887 Aberdeen

      Lair A201 : Owner(s) - Ogston & Hay, Seaman

      Williamina Ogston (40 years) Feb.21st.1845

      These are all I have showing you the burial dates. I couldn't say if there were others in the Lairs, as I tended to only note down people of interest to me and my search for Peterhead Shipmasters. I am not personally connected to the Ogstons although I'm very interested in any sea-faring families from Peterhead.

      Hope this might be of interest........................................Alex Ritchie

    • 2Barbara Croker
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2003
        Hi Wade,
        You mentioned your website of Scottish Lair records, in an email to Pamela
        and Betty. Could you give it to me, IF, of course, it has anyone of
        interest to me. MILNE, DAVIDSON, STEWART PORTER CREYK WILLOX are the
        names.
        Thanks, Barbara

        Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 24, 2003
          Hi Barbara,

          My web site only has Peterhead Lair records (Old Kirkyard). It far from complete, it is from contributions by others and my visits to the Peterhead Registrar.

          The site is http://users.bigpond.net.au/phdgen/

          This address appears at the bottom of each newsgroup email.

          Merry Christmas,

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
            For Pamela :

            Pamela,
            In LAIR A200 (Ogston & Hay (Seamen) Owners) we have :

            Robert Ogston (67) Buried Jan.26th.1830 "Father of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster"
            Helen Dunbar (63) Buried Nov.18th.1830 "Mother of Alexander Ogston, Shipmaster"

            So I don't think there's much doubt that Robert Ogston was married to Helen Dunbar.

            Best Regards......................Alex Ritchie

          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
              For Betty Holmes :

              Hi Betty,
              The dates I gave for Robert Ogston & Helen Dunbar were BURIAL DATES (which I copied from the Lair Registers for Peterhead Old Cemetery). The Lair Registers were compiled sometime in the 1800s from the gravediggers books and so post-dated many of the burials. But the information in them is largely accurate...I have found a few discrepancies but, on the whole they are very good records of Peterhead burials. The actual death dates would only be 2 or 3 days prior to the burial dates, although these death dates might be difficult to find for events prior to 1855.

              As Pamela has said, a "Lair" is the plot of ground an individual or family would have purchased for the purposes of burial of family and sometimes friends. Long ago there did not seem to be much restriction on how many people got buried in a Lair and, looking at the Peterhead Lair Register books, some Lairs must have been really crammed full !!
              Also in the Cemetery there is what is called "Common Ground" where people who could not afford a family plot would get buried. They would simply be assigned a Common Ground Lair by the gravediggers and would be sharing a lair with whoever happened to be there already. But these burials too are all recorded and referenced to a Lair Number.

              Best Regards................................................Alex Ritchie

            • 2Barbara Croker
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
                Hi Alex,
                I found you information about Lair registers interesting. How do I look up
                burials - can I do it on the net? OR at the Mormon Church records? In
                particular, I think that an ancester of mine, Girzzel (Grace) MILNE (nee
                Davidson), died around 1840,1841, but before the 1841 census because she
                didn't appear then with the rest of the family. She had a daughter,
                Christian born in1841 (my GGgrandmother). I haven't beenable to find her
                deat recorded in Peterhead. Thanks for any help from you or anyone.
                Regards, Barbara

              • Alex Ritchie
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                  For Catherine (CCI) :

                  Hi Catherine,
                  On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :

                  1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
                  2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on him
                  3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
                  4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)

                  Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?

                  Alex Ritchie

                • colin collie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Hi Alex
                    Do you have anything on the shipmasters called Collie on Rosebud, Rosebud 2
                    The Olive Branch and other boats that I can't remember there names.
                    All the best
                    Colin

                    >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
                    >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [Peterhead] OGSTONS
                    >Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:46:05 -0000
                    >
                    >For Catherine (CCI) :
                    >
                    >Hi Catherine,
                    > On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead
                    >shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :
                    >
                    >1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
                    >2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on
                    >him
                    >3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
                    >4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)
                    >
                    > Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?
                    >
                    > Alex Ritchie

                  • colin collie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Hi Alex

                    • george4705@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                        "The Whaling Years" Peterhead (1788-1893) by Gavin Sutherland mentions John
                        Ogston as Master of the Perserverance being lost at Greenland in May 1840 and
                        his writing to the National Institution for life from shipwreck, commending
                        Captain John Gray and the crew of the Eclipse for saving him and his crew of 45.

                        george

                      • Cci
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Hi Alex,
                          It does'nt look like there was another Ogston shipmaster.
                          I typed in OGSTON and SHIPMASTER, and only the names you gave me came up with entries and other shipmasters with different surnames.
                          I wrote all the John Ogston's and the one you quoted died in 1846 born 1794.
                          The last child I could find was born in 1840, so John was around 46 when she was born.

                          Catherine 19-11-1826 wit Robert Ogston and George Anderson
                          John 7-8-1829 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                          Robert 6-8-1831 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                          George Anderson 18-12-1832 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                          Alexander 29-8-1834 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                          William 10-9-1836 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                          Margaret Forbes 14-10-1838 wit Robert Ogston and Keith Forbes
                          Amelia 12-12-1840 wit John Anderson and William Ogston

                          Best wishes,
                          Catherine

                          On my ever-increasing list of Peterhead shipmasters I have the following Ogstons :

                          1) Alexander Ogston (married to Isabella Anderson)
                          2) John Ogston (born c1794 / died August 1846) - don't have much details on him
                          3) Robert Ogston (married to Sophia Anderson)
                          4) William Ogston (married to Catherine Geary)

                          Can you add any more Ogston shipmasters ?

                          Alex Ritchie

                          Multi family home for sale Family home finance

                        • Alex Ritchie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                            For Catherine :

                            Many thanks Catherine, looks like I've got all the OGSTONS (Shipmasters) on
                            my list.

                            Best Regards................Alex Ritchie.

                            > It does'nt look like there was another Ogston shipmaster.
                            > I typed in OGSTON and SHIPMASTER, and only the names you gave me came up
                            with entries and other shipmasters with different surnames.
                            > I wrote all the John Ogston's and the one you quoted died in 1846 born
                            1794.
                            > The last child I could find was born in 1840, so John was around 46 when
                            she was born.

                            > Catherine 19-11-1826 wit Robert Ogston and George Anderson
                            > John 7-8-1829 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                            > Robert 6-8-1831 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                            > George Anderson 18-12-1832 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                            > Alexander 29-8-1834 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                            > William 10-9-1836 wit John Anderson and Keith Forbes
                            > Margaret Forbes 14-10-1838 wit Robert Ogston and Keith Forbes
                            > Amelia 12-12-1840 wit John Anderson and William Ogston
                            >
                            > Best wishes,
                            > Catherine

                            insurance company American family home owner insurance
                            > Multi family home for sale Family home finance

                            Service.

                            ----

                            11/5/2005