Duncans and Reids

  • Keith Duncan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi there,

      Not sure if you can help me out or not.

      I was brought up in the Bloo Toon and have many fond memories of
      growing up there as a child(now based in Dundee) - father was Alick
      John Duncan (East Moorings, Buchanhaven) and his father before him,
      further back still his father, Alexander Duncan(born 1870) was
      married to Margaret Troup and the farthest back I have here is George
      Duncan who was married to Jane Buchan.

      George Duncan m Jane Buchan had the following children:

      Alexander Duncan - my grt grandfather (born 1870) m Margaret
      Troup
      John Duncan (born 1872) m Annie Cordiner
      William Duncan (b. 1875) m. Barbara Buchan
      George Duncan (b. 1877) m. Jean Reid
      Jane Duncan (b. 1880) m. James Mitchell
      James Duncan (b.1882) m. Jessie Stephen
      Robert Duncan (b. 1885) m. Margaret Strachan
      Isabella Duncan (b. 1887) m. Charles Buchan
      Peter Duncan (b. 1891) m. Davidina Buchan
      Andrew Duncan (b.1894) m. Elizabeth Ritchie

      There were at least two fishing boats associated with the family (ie
      Alexander Duncan and either Peter or Andrew), the ones I know of were
      the "Marigold" and "Speedwell". To the best of my knowledge I think
      Peter or Andrew (can check with my father) had twins possibly/prob by
      some of their children.
      I always knew them as "Peter and Andrew the twins" Andrew went on the
      Marigold (PD145) and Peter went on Speedwell(PD345 I think) - before
      PD 145 and PD 345 there were other boats also called Marigold and
      Speedwell. The Marigold was PD81 - a steam drifter - see Admiralty
      record at:
      http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/official/adm53/adm53-109199.html

      A copy of the Speedwell is on "permanent loan" to the Arbuthnott
      Museum in Peterhead - and I believe the registration is PD 491
      (If you have anything to add to the above lot, feel free).

      However, as interesting as this may or may not be, my real query
      takes me to from Glasgow to Australia.

      I am now researching on my mothers fathers side of the family -they
      were Reids from Glasgow area, however at present I am interested in
      one particular gentleman. I am in the process of tracking down
      information relating to- Rev. Henry Reid M.A.

      Henry Reid was born 21st November 1842 son to William Reid(b.1811
      Surgeon in Glasgow) and Elizabeth Ferguson Reid (nee Dick).

      So far I have learned the following of Henry Reid:
      - christened 18 December 1842, St Stephens Free Church, Calton,
      Barony, Lanark Scotland
      - entered the UP Theological Hall in 1862
      - graduated from Glasgow University in 1867.
      - became minister at Irvine 7.7.1868
      - married his wife Catherine Murdoch Samson Hutchinson in Maybole,
      Ayr, Scotland On 29th April 1869
      - edited a book called "Poems for the Period" by Heone[Pseud] -
      1881 - main author of book was Hugh Clark of Irvine.
      - assumed past president of the Burns Club in Irvine in 1881
      (unconfirmed)
      - resigned from his post in Irvine 2.3.1886

      The next part is a little unclear
      - set sail (possibly on board ROME - P&O passenger ship) for
      Australia - arrived Melbourne in December 1886
      - applied to the Presbyterian church of Victoria (Aus) 21.12.1886
      but having no commission or extract minute the application was
      declined formally 14.6.1887
      (thanks to Rownland Ward for providing some of the above info).

      From the information from Public Records Office in Victoria
      http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=4
      It would appear that there are no first names for passengers on P & O
      passenger ships (like the ROME or CARTHAGE) - so the information
      about REIDS on the ROME is a little speculative although the ages of
      Mr & Mrs and presumed children Mr & Miss do seem to match up. Yet one
      mystery exists.. I am led to believe that Henry and Catherine
      (Katherine?) had two sons by names of James and William... so why
      there appears only one "son" and a "daughter" is somewhat unclear.

      Beyond this I have little or no information.
      Anything that may shed a little more light on this would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Many thanks in advance for any info you may have.

      --
      Keith Duncan
      Dundee, Scotland
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2003
        Hi Keith,

        Can't help with your Reid question to Australia. But I have a photo of Speedwell PD259 (bow only, crew standing at bow), owned by George Arthur Duncan. I would assume taken around 1970's.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2003
          The Duncan twins are both still in Peterhead although they have retired from
          sea. I have photographs of all the boats you mention however as I am in The
          States for Christmas and New Year it will have to await my return!!

          Margie ..............Cruden Bay