Ogston Family

  • Andrew & Pamela
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      Came upon this great site when researching my Great Great Grandfather, John Ogston and noticed some questions or remarks about him.

      In my childhood I heard the stories about John who was allegedly nicknamed "Thummy" because as the tale goes he strung up some mutinying sailors by their thumbs! I emphasise it is just a tale but someone out there might just know something.

      To continue, He is mentioned in a book called "The Whaling Years Peterhead (1788-1893). He sailed as a Mate of the whale ship "Active" under Capt.David Gray 19th March 1820 - 14th June 1820. Now, as Captain John Ogston on the whale ship "Perseverance"of the Peterhead Whaling fleet of 1836, was lost off Greenland in May 1840. Captain Ogston and his crew of 45 men were subsequently taken off the ice by the whale ship,"Eclipse" commanded by Captain John Gray. The aforementioned John was born in Peterhead on 5th May 1794, married Williamina Anderson on February 16th 1823,in Peterhead. They had 9 children that I know of - Elizabeth, Catherine, John, Robert(my Great Grandfather christened 6.8.1831) George, Alexander, William, Margaret and Amelia. Captain John died 17/08/1846 at the age of 52. The information is from OPR. The father and mother of John Ogston is what I am hoping for help on. So far I know his Father´┐Żs name was Robert and that he was a shoemaker in Peterhead. From OPR his son Robert was baptised 05/05/1794 and there were 4 siblings subsequently recorded :- Margaret (1797), William (1799), Robert (March 8th 1801) and James (June 24th 1804).
      Any ideas on how I could get more information on this shoemaker and his wife?

      Best Wishes from Pamela (nee Mitchell) in sunny Spain.

    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi Pamela, The John Ogston you mention is part of my husband's family
        Tree.
        John Ogston b.1794 m. Williamina Anderson
        Their son Robert b. 1831 m. Sophia Anderson,
        whose daughter Joanna Sophia Ogston m. John Webster b. 1861
        One of their sons, Charles G. Webster was my husband's uncle. He died in
        1980 in Peterhead.
        Happy to exchange any information.
        Betty,-- in sunny but very cold Canada.