Re: [Peterhead] seaman's tickets

  • Martin Skelton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      George,
      I found my grandfather's and great grandfather's
      merchant navy records by following up the info in the
      National Archives info sheets.
      http://www.pro.gov.uk/leaflets/riindex.asp#M

      You could also try www.nmm.ac.uk.

      Hope this helps...Martin.
      --- george4705@... wrote:
      > Standard Time,
      > wsb@... writes:
      >
      > Being fairly new at this I would appreciate some
      > information on Seaman's
      > Tickets and how one would find the information that
      > is recorded there. My
      > GGgrandfather William Hay out of Peterhead, Aberdeen
      > b-abt 1820 m -1851 is listed as
      > a seaman on my grandfather's marriage records.
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > george USA
      > Seamen's Tickets
      > Ticket No.131191, James Lawrance, born 16 December
      > 1797 Old Deer, Capacity:
      > Seaman, Height: 5ft 6 1/2in, Hair: Brown,
      > Complexion: Sallow, Eyes: Grey,
      > Marks: None, First went to sea as Apprentice in the
      > year 1815, has served in the
      > Royal Navy: No, Has been in Foreign Service: No,
      > When unemployed, resides at
      > Peterhead, age when ticketed: 47, Can Write: Yes,
      > Issued Peterhead, 16 December
      > 1844.

      > removed]

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Celtic Mist
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        please cc this information to thanhk you Art

        "wbuchan@..." <wsb@...> wrote:Hi George,

        I have attached a file for a William Hay born 1820 Peterhead ticket No.29375. I don't have the ticket information, just a crew agreement, where he was 2nd Mate on the whaling ship Fairy in 1852.

        The Latter Day Saints have filmed the Seaman's tickets and can be viewed by ordering the films at any on their Family History Centres. To get the film numbers you need to look at the locality catalogue under Merchant Marine, Great Britain.

        Note: the attachment does not appear in the newsgroup, so have CC your email address.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT