Boilyard

  • Martin Skelton
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      Hello,
      Some of my ancestors in Peterhead owned a boilyard.

      Can sks tell me what a boilyard was.
      Regards...Martin.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Mary MELVILLE
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
        A boilyard was likely related to the whaling industry. Peterhead had a fleet
        of boats which went to Greenland for a number of years in the 1800's to
        catch whales and seals.
        > Some of my ancestors in Peterhead owned a boilyard.
        >
        > Can sks tell me what a boilyard was.
        > Regards...Martin.

      • Martin Skelton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
          Hello Mary,
          My ancestors did own some ships in Peterhead.

          I guess some of them where whalers.

          Many thanks...Martin.

          --- Mary MELVILLE <mary@...>
          wrote:
          > A boilyard was likely related to the whaling
          > industry. Peterhead had a fleet
          > of boats which went to Greenland for a number of
          > years in the 1800's to
          > catch whales and seals.

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • David F Harper
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
            Hi

            Here's a clip from the book "The Peterhead Whalers, 1788 - 1893
            Gavin Sutherland"

            David

            "John Hutchison and James Arbuthnot, made a last-minute bid to save their
            investment by suggesting the ship be put in the hands of a local, perhaps
            more diligent, skipper and crew. Sandy Geary, a sailor’s son from the old
            Ronheads, was promoted to captain on the recommendation of his shipmates and
            brought a sudden change of fortune to the ship. On her first trip under
            Geary the Robert took eight whales and brought home more than seventy tons
            of oil (worth £2,000 — a fortune in 1798). Raw whale blubber was processed
            into oil by boiling or ‘trying’ and for this purpose the captain and owners
            of the Robert bought land on the south side of Keith Inch island at
            Peterhead and converted existing buildings into a boilyard — the North
            East’s first oil refinery. Soon after the turn of the century the Robert was
            replaced by the Hope, again under Geary, and the Enterprise, under William
            Volum, joined her company."

            David F Harper
            29 Swift Crescent
            Knightswood Gate