Re: Alexander Davidson

  • LynT
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2003
      Hello Diana

      >I am researching Alexander Davidson. Born in Peterhead, Scotland early
      >1800's wrote a thesis in medicine at Edinborough University emigrated to
      >Canada and had 6 children 3 boys and 3 girls.One son, George Davidson,(my

      I am also researching Davidsons from Peterhead. Do you have the death
      details for your Alexander which maybe state his parent's names?
      There were quite a few Alexanders and Georges around in the early 1800's.
      The family I am researching is George Davidson b.1825 in Peterhead. His
      father was William and his father was Alexander as far I am aware.

      Lyn
    • diana beatty
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2003
        Unfortunately I don't know anything about him,but my brother has a copy of
        the thesis that he wrote at Edinborough University, in1819.He was born in
        Peterhead around the turn of the century,or late1790's. My grandfather was
        George Davidson and he was born in Canada in 1870. His fathers name was
        Alexander, but my George may be a grandson of the previous Alexander.Wish I
        had more details.If you can find anything that might help I would certainly
        appreciate it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
          In further research, I think the Alexander Davidson I am looking for may be
          the one born 1790.He had a son William and I think another son Alexander and
          I think that Alexander may be the one who came to Canada, and was the father
          of George born 1870 in Woodstock,Ont.Does any of this tie in with your
          findings?
          Diana Beatty
          >I am researching Alexander Davidson. Born in Peterhead, Scotland early
          >1800's wrote a thesis in medicine at Edinborough University emigrated to
          >Canada and had 6 children 3 boys and 3 girls.One son, George Davidson,(my

          I am also researching Davidsons from Peterhead. Do you have the death
          details for your Alexander which maybe state his parent's names?
          There were quite a few Alexanders and Georges around in the early 1800's.
          The family I am researching is George Davidson b.1825 in Peterhead. His
          father was William and his father was Alexander as far I am aware.

          Lyn

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
            On a recent visit to the Anstruther Fisheries Museum I came across a picture portrait of the above.
            The text under the picture reads

            "Captain Alexander S Davidson 1831- 1898.
            Skipper of the whaler Alert of Peterhead"

            I can send a copy by e-mail to interested people.
          • marysb@iprimus.com.au
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
              Hi Alex,

              Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
              was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
              suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
              was it maybe a successor?

              According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
              the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
              Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?

              Mary Barnes
            • Alex
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

                > Hi Alex,
                >
                > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
                > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
                > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
                > was it maybe a successor?
                >
                > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
                > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
                > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
                >
                > Mary Barnes

                Hello Mary,
                It was by pure chance that I saw the photo of Alexander Davidson at Anstruther. I know no more than what was written under the picture, but it was in a section re whaling. I know Fiona had seen that picture before. I had two enquiries to my message re the photo, so more info may come to light from these sources.

                Alex
              • Alex
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

                  > Hi Alex,
                  >
                  > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
                  > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
                  > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
                  > was it maybe a successor?
                  >
                  > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
                  > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
                  > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
                  >
                  > Mary Barnes

                  I see that the Family History Society of Buchan has a book about shipmasters on sale. Maybe Alexander Davidson is mentioned there !