Re: [Peterhead] benzie/benzies

  • dmatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2003
      Rick,

      Thank all of you for your information on my family.It is a lot easier
      >when there are groups like yours that can help my work on the family
      >tree. It is alot to learn but you have given me so much now.I have
      >some questions on the name do we know where it came from or is it
      >branched out under a different tree name, that would be nice to
      >know.Again thanks for your group I am glad that I joined it & hope
      >that more people would do that to .

      Around 1700 the name changed from Bainzie to Benzie/s, with the earliest
      reference being to the baptism of Elizabeth Bainzie, daughter of Peter
      Bainzie in the Kirktown of Deskford on the 21st September 1692 (Old Parish
      Register for Deskford, Banffshire - OPR 151/1). The OPR is in a bad state
      and looks to have pages missing. The indication is that the Bainzie/Benzies
      family lived around Deskford for about 300 years from 1692.

      David