Re: Davidson and Clubb

  • ljthom2003
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
      Hello Richard

      > I also have a Davidson on my tree, a John Davidson who married
      > Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon 6th October 1864 at Peterhead.
      > They had two children Elizabeth b 12/4/1866 Peterhead, and John
      > born 26/10/1864.
      >
      > The 1881 census has him aged 44, living at 55,Longate,Peterhead,
      > occupation grocer, with Elizabeth aged 33.

      I think one of us might have a problem. I also have a John Davidson
      married to Elizabeth Hastie 5 dec 1869 in Peterhead. I have him in
      the 1881 census as living at 55 Longate St., Peterhead, aged 44,
      occupation grocer. With him is his wife Elizabeth and no children
      listed. John and Elizabeth's ages match perfectly with their birth
      dates as I have them.
      Oh dear!!

      Cheers
      Lyn
      P.S. Thank you for the tip on Ellis Island
    • Lyn Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
        Hi Raewynne,

        >I'm interested in your George Davidson as I >believed my GGGrandfather George Davidson Ch.17th >February 1825 was the 2nd Son of William Davidson

        Thanks for your reply. We are certainly talking about the same person.

        >Marriage for Isabella Clubb & George Davidson but >couldn't find a Birth/Christening for her.

        She was christened 29/10/1832 St. Fergus, Banff, (almost next door)

        >it is correct, so if you are right my Family Tree >has just been well and truly pruned.

        Sorry. I guess your tree has been well and truly pruned. I have the certificates to prove my line. I will reply to you offline as well seeing that there is another address for you.

        Bye
        Lyn

      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
          Thank you Richard. Yes I have tried the ellisisland
          site with not much success. I don't believe, tho I
          don't know for sure, that he traveled back to Scotland
          once he emigrated to the U.S.

          Regards,

          Lisa

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
            Hello Lyn

            > Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born
            > 27/10/1864 in
            > Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are
            > James Clubb and
            > Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella.
            > It is
            > interesting to see that he ended up in the USA

            How wonderful to know there is a connection. I would
            love more information and thank you for wanting to
            share it. I'm not sure if they emigrated as a family
            or John came to the USA by himself.

            Please feel free to contact me directly through my
            e-mail.

            Regards,

            Lisa

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • rlyon@beeb.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
              Yes, it looks as though one of us may be wrong with the 1881 census
              data for the John and Elizabeth Davidson living at 55 Longate St..

              "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
              34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
              age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.

              Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

              Their children would have been aged aroud 15 and 17 so it is
              conceivable that by that age they could be elsewhere.

              I have no other data on the John Davidson mentioned but will
              explore this a little further to see if I can find out a little more about
              him.

              Elizabeths mother was Elspet Walker, my 2G Grandfathers first wife,
              his second wife was Ann Thom born 1810 St. Fergus, to James
              Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
              2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
              connection here?

              Richard Lyon
            • aliceuuk
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, <rlyon@b...> wrote:
                Hi,
                I also have a Davidson connection, so far I have only managed to find
                two, they are my Gt Gt Grandmother Harriet Davidson I don't have a
                date for her birth but she died in Aberdeen on 1st October 1929 she
                was married to Robert Massie Saunders on 29 June 1861. then I have my
                3x Gt Grandfather William Davidson born 1782 married to Isabella
                Milne who I have a death for 11 February 1882.

                Do any of these names connect with your own Davidson's.

                Regards
                Alice Urquhart
              • Hazel Holt
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                  Hi Lyn,
                  Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can now add Isabella to that list.
                  Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to them.
                  I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if you are interested. Just let me know.

                  Hazel

                • LynT
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                    Hello Hazel,

                    Great to hear from you.

                    > Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the
                    parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can
                    now add Isabella to that list.
                    > Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to
                    look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to
                    them.

                    Yes I have done a file for you which I will send to your email address as we
                    can't send attachments through the list.

                    > I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if
                    you are interested. Just let me know.

                    Thank you for that. Yes. I would whatever information you are willing to
                    share with me.

                    Regards
                    Lyn
                  • LynT
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                      Hello again Richard

                      > "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                      > 34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                      > age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.
                      > Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                      By my reckoning -
                      "my" Elizabeth was born 14/4/1847 In St. Fergus also. The 1881 census was
                      taken on 3 Apr. 1881 so "my" Elizabeth had not quite had her 34th. birthday.
                      She was therefore 33 (as stated) when the census was taken.
                      Similarly for John, he was christened 22/12/1836 so presuming he was born in
                      that same year, he would have been 44 (as stated) when the census was taken.

                      > Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                      > 2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                      > connection here?

                      No I am not actually a Thom, I am a Thomas.

                      The ball is in your court now <G>

                      Cheers
                      Lyn
                    • rlyon@beeb.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                        I have looked at the marriage ( 6/10/1864 Peterhead ) details of John
                        Davidson and Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon and find he was then
                        aged 25 thus born in c 1839, and his parents are George Davidson
                        and Margaret Smart.

                        Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so
                        their respective ages at 1881 census would be 31 ( Elizabeth ) and c
                        42 ( John ). This is compared with ages of 33 and 44 on the census
                        entry.

                        With confirmation that your Elizabeth was also born St. Fergus I must
                        now agree that the couple at 55 Longate are not the John and
                        Elizabeth Davidson on this branch of my tree.

                        Further searching of the 1881 census for " my " John and Elizabeth
                        Davidson and their children John ( b 26/10/1864 Peterhead
                        )Elizabeth ( b 12/4/1866 Peterhead ) has not revealed anything so
                        for the time being they must be " absent without leave " , perhaps
                        they have emigrated.

                        The similarities here drew me to the wrong assumption, but it was
                        probably the St. Fergus birthplace that erroneously drew me in to this
                        !

                        Richard
                      • rlyon@beeb.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                          Hello Alice,

                          With reference to your message on the Davidson string I cannot see
                          any connection.

                          Regards

                          Richard.
                        • james martin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 29, 2003
                            rlyon@... wrote:Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
                            relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
                            this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
                            if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
                            go into great detail including in some instances the persons
                            parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
                            pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
                            It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
                            late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
                            returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
                            illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

                            Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
                            who emigrated to the US in 1906.

                            Good luck with this if it is of help.

                            Richard Lyon

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT