Re: [Peterhead] Re: Davidson and Clubb

  • rlyon@beeb.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 16 10:13 AM
      Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
      relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
      this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
      if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
      go into great detail including in some instances the persons
      parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
      pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
      It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
      late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
      returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
      illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

      Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
      who emigrated to the US in 1906.

      Good luck with this if it is of help.

      Richard Lyon
    • ljthom2003
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 16 3:55 PM
        Hello Lisa

        > I have a Clubb in my family tree. My GGrandfather was John Brown
        > Clubb. From records I have I believe he was born in Oct. 1868.
        He
        > was the son of Isabel(sp?) Watson and James Clubb. Not sure if

        Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born 27/10/1864 in
        Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are James Clubb and
        Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella. It is
        interesting to see that he ended up in the USA. Perhaps the family
        as a whole emigrated. Other siblings of John as I have them are
        James, William Hay Philips, un-named male, then your John, Thomas,
        Eleanor and Mary Ann.
        Another point of interest is the name John Brown Clubb. Isabella &
        George Davidson named their yougest child Alfred Brown Davidson
        I would love to be able to share information with you.

        Regards
        Lyn
      • ljthom2003
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16 4:17 PM
          Hello Richard

          > I also have a Davidson on my tree, a John Davidson who married
          > Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon 6th October 1864 at Peterhead.
          > They had two children Elizabeth b 12/4/1866 Peterhead, and John
          > born 26/10/1864.
          >
          > The 1881 census has him aged 44, living at 55,Longate,Peterhead,
          > occupation grocer, with Elizabeth aged 33.

          I think one of us might have a problem. I also have a John Davidson
          married to Elizabeth Hastie 5 dec 1869 in Peterhead. I have him in
          the 1881 census as living at 55 Longate St., Peterhead, aged 44,
          occupation grocer. With him is his wife Elizabeth and no children
          listed. John and Elizabeth's ages match perfectly with their birth
          dates as I have them.
          Oh dear!!

          Cheers
          Lyn
          P.S. Thank you for the tip on Ellis Island
        • Lyn Thomas
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16 4:28 PM
            Hi Raewynne,

            >I'm interested in your George Davidson as I >believed my GGGrandfather George Davidson Ch.17th >February 1825 was the 2nd Son of William Davidson

            Thanks for your reply. We are certainly talking about the same person.

            >Marriage for Isabella Clubb & George Davidson but >couldn't find a Birth/Christening for her.

            She was christened 29/10/1832 St. Fergus, Banff, (almost next door)

            >it is correct, so if you are right my Family Tree >has just been well and truly pruned.

            Sorry. I guess your tree has been well and truly pruned. I have the certificates to prove my line. I will reply to you offline as well seeing that there is another address for you.

            Bye
            Lyn

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 16 6:54 PM
              Thank you Richard. Yes I have tried the ellisisland
              site with not much success. I don't believe, tho I
              don't know for sure, that he traveled back to Scotland
              once he emigrated to the U.S.

              Regards,

              Lisa

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 16 6:54 PM
                Hello Lyn

                > Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born
                > 27/10/1864 in
                > Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are
                > James Clubb and
                > Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella.
                > It is
                > interesting to see that he ended up in the USA

                How wonderful to know there is a connection. I would
                love more information and thank you for wanting to
                share it. I'm not sure if they emigrated as a family
                or John came to the USA by himself.

                Please feel free to contact me directly through my
                e-mail.

                Regards,

                Lisa

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • rlyon@beeb.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 17 2:08 AM
                  Yes, it looks as though one of us may be wrong with the 1881 census
                  data for the John and Elizabeth Davidson living at 55 Longate St..

                  "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                  34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                  age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.

                  Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                  Their children would have been aged aroud 15 and 17 so it is
                  conceivable that by that age they could be elsewhere.

                  I have no other data on the John Davidson mentioned but will
                  explore this a little further to see if I can find out a little more about
                  him.

                  Elizabeths mother was Elspet Walker, my 2G Grandfathers first wife,
                  his second wife was Ann Thom born 1810 St. Fergus, to James
                  Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                  2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                  connection here?

                  Richard Lyon
                • aliceuuk
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 17 2:54 AM
                    --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, <rlyon@b...> wrote:
                    Hi,
                    I also have a Davidson connection, so far I have only managed to find
                    two, they are my Gt Gt Grandmother Harriet Davidson I don't have a
                    date for her birth but she died in Aberdeen on 1st October 1929 she
                    was married to Robert Massie Saunders on 29 June 1861. then I have my
                    3x Gt Grandfather William Davidson born 1782 married to Isabella
                    Milne who I have a death for 11 February 1882.

                    Do any of these names connect with your own Davidson's.

                    Regards
                    Alice Urquhart
                  • Hazel Holt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 17 2:45 PM
                      Hi Lyn,
                      Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can now add Isabella to that list.
                      Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to them.
                      I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if you are interested. Just let me know.

                      Hazel

                    • LynT
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 18 3:44 PM
                        Hello Hazel,

                        Great to hear from you.

                        > Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the
                        parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can
                        now add Isabella to that list.
                        > Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to
                        look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to
                        them.

                        Yes I have done a file for you which I will send to your email address as we
                        can't send attachments through the list.

                        > I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if
                        you are interested. Just let me know.

                        Thank you for that. Yes. I would whatever information you are willing to
                        share with me.

                        Regards
                        Lyn
                      • LynT
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 18 4:25 PM
                          Hello again Richard

                          > "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                          > 34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                          > age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.
                          > Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                          By my reckoning -
                          "my" Elizabeth was born 14/4/1847 In St. Fergus also. The 1881 census was
                          taken on 3 Apr. 1881 so "my" Elizabeth had not quite had her 34th. birthday.
                          She was therefore 33 (as stated) when the census was taken.
                          Similarly for John, he was christened 22/12/1836 so presuming he was born in
                          that same year, he would have been 44 (as stated) when the census was taken.

                          > Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                          > 2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                          > connection here?

                          No I am not actually a Thom, I am a Thomas.

                          The ball is in your court now <G>

                          Cheers
                          Lyn
                        • rlyon@beeb.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 19 1:40 AM
                            I have looked at the marriage ( 6/10/1864 Peterhead ) details of John
                            Davidson and Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon and find he was then
                            aged 25 thus born in c 1839, and his parents are George Davidson
                            and Margaret Smart.

                            Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so
                            their respective ages at 1881 census would be 31 ( Elizabeth ) and c
                            42 ( John ). This is compared with ages of 33 and 44 on the census
                            entry.

                            With confirmation that your Elizabeth was also born St. Fergus I must
                            now agree that the couple at 55 Longate are not the John and
                            Elizabeth Davidson on this branch of my tree.

                            Further searching of the 1881 census for " my " John and Elizabeth
                            Davidson and their children John ( b 26/10/1864 Peterhead
                            )Elizabeth ( b 12/4/1866 Peterhead ) has not revealed anything so
                            for the time being they must be " absent without leave " , perhaps
                            they have emigrated.

                            The similarities here drew me to the wrong assumption, but it was
                            probably the St. Fergus birthplace that erroneously drew me in to this
                            !

                            Richard
                          • rlyon@beeb.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 19 1:55 AM
                              Hello Alice,

                              With reference to your message on the Davidson string I cannot see
                              any connection.

                              Regards

                              Richard.
                            • james martin
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 29, 2003
                                rlyon@... wrote:Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
                                relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
                                this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
                                if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
                                go into great detail including in some instances the persons
                                parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
                                pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
                                It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
                                late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
                                returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
                                illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

                                Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
                                who emigrated to the US in 1906.

                                Good luck with this if it is of help.

                                Richard Lyon

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT