Re: Davidson and Clubb

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
      Hi all

      I have a Clubb in my family tree. My GGrandfather was John Brown
      Clubb. From records I have I believe he was born in Oct. 1868. He
      was the son of Isabel(sp?) Watson and James Clubb. Not sure if
      there were any other children. He emigrated to the USA but can find
      no records of when. He eventually settled in Chicago, marrying in
      1894.

      Is this familiar to anyone?

      Lisa
    • rlyon@beeb.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
        Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
        relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
        this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
        if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
        go into great detail including in some instances the persons
        parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
        pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
        It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
        late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
        returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
        illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

        Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
        who emigrated to the US in 1906.

        Good luck with this if it is of help.

        Richard Lyon
      • ljthom2003
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
          Hello Lisa

          > I have a Clubb in my family tree. My GGrandfather was John Brown
          > Clubb. From records I have I believe he was born in Oct. 1868.
          He
          > was the son of Isabel(sp?) Watson and James Clubb. Not sure if

          Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born 27/10/1864 in
          Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are James Clubb and
          Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella. It is
          interesting to see that he ended up in the USA. Perhaps the family
          as a whole emigrated. Other siblings of John as I have them are
          James, William Hay Philips, un-named male, then your John, Thomas,
          Eleanor and Mary Ann.
          Another point of interest is the name John Brown Clubb. Isabella &
          George Davidson named their yougest child Alfred Brown Davidson
          I would love to be able to share information with you.

          Regards
          Lyn
        • ljthom2003
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
            Hello Richard

            > I also have a Davidson on my tree, a John Davidson who married
            > Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon 6th October 1864 at Peterhead.
            > They had two children Elizabeth b 12/4/1866 Peterhead, and John
            > born 26/10/1864.
            >
            > The 1881 census has him aged 44, living at 55,Longate,Peterhead,
            > occupation grocer, with Elizabeth aged 33.

            I think one of us might have a problem. I also have a John Davidson
            married to Elizabeth Hastie 5 dec 1869 in Peterhead. I have him in
            the 1881 census as living at 55 Longate St., Peterhead, aged 44,
            occupation grocer. With him is his wife Elizabeth and no children
            listed. John and Elizabeth's ages match perfectly with their birth
            dates as I have them.
            Oh dear!!

            Cheers
            Lyn
            P.S. Thank you for the tip on Ellis Island
          • Lyn Thomas
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
              Hi Raewynne,

              >I'm interested in your George Davidson as I >believed my GGGrandfather George Davidson Ch.17th >February 1825 was the 2nd Son of William Davidson

              Thanks for your reply. We are certainly talking about the same person.

              >Marriage for Isabella Clubb & George Davidson but >couldn't find a Birth/Christening for her.

              She was christened 29/10/1832 St. Fergus, Banff, (almost next door)

              >it is correct, so if you are right my Family Tree >has just been well and truly pruned.

              Sorry. I guess your tree has been well and truly pruned. I have the certificates to prove my line. I will reply to you offline as well seeing that there is another address for you.

              Bye
              Lyn

            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                Thank you Richard. Yes I have tried the ellisisland
                site with not much success. I don't believe, tho I
                don't know for sure, that he traveled back to Scotland
                once he emigrated to the U.S.

                Regards,

                Lisa

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                  Hello Lyn

                  > Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born
                  > 27/10/1864 in
                  > Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are
                  > James Clubb and
                  > Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella.
                  > It is
                  > interesting to see that he ended up in the USA

                  How wonderful to know there is a connection. I would
                  love more information and thank you for wanting to
                  share it. I'm not sure if they emigrated as a family
                  or John came to the USA by himself.

                  Please feel free to contact me directly through my
                  e-mail.

                  Regards,

                  Lisa

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • rlyon@beeb.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                    Yes, it looks as though one of us may be wrong with the 1881 census
                    data for the John and Elizabeth Davidson living at 55 Longate St..

                    "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                    34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                    age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.

                    Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                    Their children would have been aged aroud 15 and 17 so it is
                    conceivable that by that age they could be elsewhere.

                    I have no other data on the John Davidson mentioned but will
                    explore this a little further to see if I can find out a little more about
                    him.

                    Elizabeths mother was Elspet Walker, my 2G Grandfathers first wife,
                    his second wife was Ann Thom born 1810 St. Fergus, to James
                    Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                    2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                    connection here?

                    Richard Lyon
                  • aliceuuk
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, <rlyon@b...> wrote:
                      Hi,
                      I also have a Davidson connection, so far I have only managed to find
                      two, they are my Gt Gt Grandmother Harriet Davidson I don't have a
                      date for her birth but she died in Aberdeen on 1st October 1929 she
                      was married to Robert Massie Saunders on 29 June 1861. then I have my
                      3x Gt Grandfather William Davidson born 1782 married to Isabella
                      Milne who I have a death for 11 February 1882.

                      Do any of these names connect with your own Davidson's.

                      Regards
                      Alice Urquhart
                    • Hazel Holt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                        Hi Lyn,
                        Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can now add Isabella to that list.
                        Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to them.
                        I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if you are interested. Just let me know.

                        Hazel

                      • LynT
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                          Hello Hazel,

                          Great to hear from you.

                          > Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the
                          parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can
                          now add Isabella to that list.
                          > Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to
                          look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to
                          them.

                          Yes I have done a file for you which I will send to your email address as we
                          can't send attachments through the list.

                          > I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if
                          you are interested. Just let me know.

                          Thank you for that. Yes. I would whatever information you are willing to
                          share with me.

                          Regards
                          Lyn
                        • LynT
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                            Hello again Richard

                            > "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                            > 34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                            > age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.
                            > Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                            By my reckoning -
                            "my" Elizabeth was born 14/4/1847 In St. Fergus also. The 1881 census was
                            taken on 3 Apr. 1881 so "my" Elizabeth had not quite had her 34th. birthday.
                            She was therefore 33 (as stated) when the census was taken.
                            Similarly for John, he was christened 22/12/1836 so presuming he was born in
                            that same year, he would have been 44 (as stated) when the census was taken.

                            > Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                            > 2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                            > connection here?

                            No I am not actually a Thom, I am a Thomas.

                            The ball is in your court now <G>

                            Cheers
                            Lyn
                          • rlyon@beeb.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                              I have looked at the marriage ( 6/10/1864 Peterhead ) details of John
                              Davidson and Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon and find he was then
                              aged 25 thus born in c 1839, and his parents are George Davidson
                              and Margaret Smart.

                              Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so
                              their respective ages at 1881 census would be 31 ( Elizabeth ) and c
                              42 ( John ). This is compared with ages of 33 and 44 on the census
                              entry.

                              With confirmation that your Elizabeth was also born St. Fergus I must
                              now agree that the couple at 55 Longate are not the John and
                              Elizabeth Davidson on this branch of my tree.

                              Further searching of the 1881 census for " my " John and Elizabeth
                              Davidson and their children John ( b 26/10/1864 Peterhead
                              )Elizabeth ( b 12/4/1866 Peterhead ) has not revealed anything so
                              for the time being they must be " absent without leave " , perhaps
                              they have emigrated.

                              The similarities here drew me to the wrong assumption, but it was
                              probably the St. Fergus birthplace that erroneously drew me in to this
                              !

                              Richard
                            • rlyon@beeb.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                                Hello Alice,

                                With reference to your message on the Davidson string I cannot see
                                any connection.

                                Regards

                                Richard.
                              • james martin
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 29, 2003
                                  rlyon@... wrote:Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
                                  relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
                                  this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
                                  if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
                                  go into great detail including in some instances the persons
                                  parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
                                  pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
                                  It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
                                  late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
                                  returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
                                  illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

                                  Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
                                  who emigrated to the US in 1906.

                                  Good luck with this if it is of help.

                                  Richard Lyon

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT