Davidson and Clubb

  • ljthom2003
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 15, 2003
      Hi to everyone,

      I have just joined this list so here goes.

      I am researching the families of George Davidson & Isabella Clubb
      who married at Longside 27/6/1850. From their death certificate
      information, George's parents were William Davidson & Margaret
      Alexander. At this stage I don't have any siblings for George. When
      he died his nephew Alexander was the informant. I presume this
      Alexander belongs to George Davidson and Margaret Smart but I
      haven't connected the families as yet.

      Wade, you have listed on your Peterhead site in the Lair index,a
      death for George Davidson in 1848 aged 51. Do you have details of
      his parents? Also what exactly is the Lair Index? Where actually are
      the people buried? I am interested as graves #152-#156 all seem to
      be related Davidsons. Would there still be gravestones?

      Hazel, you will be interested in the next part.
      Isabella Clubb's parents were James Clubb and Mary Ann Geddes. One
      of her brothers was Alexander who married Margaret Moir - your line.

      Greeting from Queensland Australia
      Lyn
    • Raewynnne
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
        Hi Lyn, I'm interested in your George Davidson as I believed my GGGrandfather George Davidson Ch.17th February 1825 was the 2nd Son of William Davidson Ch.12th Feb.1800 Peterhead & Margaret Alexander M. 25th March 1821 Peterhead and that he married Eleanor Shand in Rathen 23rd May 1847, and they had several Children Christened in Lonmay. The Siblings I have for George are Christian (Girl) Ch. 31st Dec.1822 & William Ch.3rd June 1822. I found a Marriage for Isabella Clubb & George Davidson but couldn't find a Birth/Christening for her. This was information I was given so I can't be sure it is correct, so if you are right my Family Tree has just been well and truly pruned. Raewynne. Wanganui. N.Z.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • rlyon@beeb.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
          Hi,

          I also have a Davidson on my tree, a John Davidson who married
          Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon 6th October 1864 at Peterhead.
          They had two children Elizabeth b 12/4/1866 Peterhead, and John
          born 26/10/1864.

          The 1881 census has him aged 44, living at 55,Longate,Peterhead,
          occupation grocer, with Elizabeth aged 33.

          Elizabeths parents were James Lyon ( 1825-1901 ) who is my great
          great grandfather. Her mother was James' first wife Elspet Walker
          who (I think) was born in Turriff 7/10/1821 to James Walker and
          Elizabeth Gordon.

          I have not yet found the antecedents of John Davidson but is he
          connected to any of the Davidson families you mention ?

          Richard Lyon
          rlyon@...
        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
            Hi all

            I have a Clubb in my family tree. My GGrandfather was John Brown
            Clubb. From records I have I believe he was born in Oct. 1868. He
            was the son of Isabel(sp?) Watson and James Clubb. Not sure if
            there were any other children. He emigrated to the USA but can find
            no records of when. He eventually settled in Chicago, marrying in
            1894.

            Is this familiar to anyone?

            Lisa
          • rlyon@beeb.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
              Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
              relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
              this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
              if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
              go into great detail including in some instances the persons
              parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
              pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
              It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
              late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
              returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
              illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

              Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
              who emigrated to the US in 1906.

              Good luck with this if it is of help.

              Richard Lyon
            • ljthom2003
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                Hello Lisa

                > I have a Clubb in my family tree. My GGrandfather was John Brown
                > Clubb. From records I have I believe he was born in Oct. 1868.
                He
                > was the son of Isabel(sp?) Watson and James Clubb. Not sure if

                Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born 27/10/1864 in
                Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are James Clubb and
                Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella. It is
                interesting to see that he ended up in the USA. Perhaps the family
                as a whole emigrated. Other siblings of John as I have them are
                James, William Hay Philips, un-named male, then your John, Thomas,
                Eleanor and Mary Ann.
                Another point of interest is the name John Brown Clubb. Isabella &
                George Davidson named their yougest child Alfred Brown Davidson
                I would love to be able to share information with you.

                Regards
                Lyn
              • ljthom2003
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                  Hello Richard

                  > I also have a Davidson on my tree, a John Davidson who married
                  > Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon 6th October 1864 at Peterhead.
                  > They had two children Elizabeth b 12/4/1866 Peterhead, and John
                  > born 26/10/1864.
                  >
                  > The 1881 census has him aged 44, living at 55,Longate,Peterhead,
                  > occupation grocer, with Elizabeth aged 33.

                  I think one of us might have a problem. I also have a John Davidson
                  married to Elizabeth Hastie 5 dec 1869 in Peterhead. I have him in
                  the 1881 census as living at 55 Longate St., Peterhead, aged 44,
                  occupation grocer. With him is his wife Elizabeth and no children
                  listed. John and Elizabeth's ages match perfectly with their birth
                  dates as I have them.
                  Oh dear!!

                  Cheers
                  Lyn
                  P.S. Thank you for the tip on Ellis Island
                • Lyn Thomas
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                    Hi Raewynne,

                    >I'm interested in your George Davidson as I >believed my GGGrandfather George Davidson Ch.17th >February 1825 was the 2nd Son of William Davidson

                    Thanks for your reply. We are certainly talking about the same person.

                    >Marriage for Isabella Clubb & George Davidson but >couldn't find a Birth/Christening for her.

                    She was christened 29/10/1832 St. Fergus, Banff, (almost next door)

                    >it is correct, so if you are right my Family Tree >has just been well and truly pruned.

                    Sorry. I guess your tree has been well and truly pruned. I have the certificates to prove my line. I will reply to you offline as well seeing that there is another address for you.

                    Bye
                    Lyn

                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                      Thank you Richard. Yes I have tried the ellisisland
                      site with not much success. I don't believe, tho I
                      don't know for sure, that he traveled back to Scotland
                      once he emigrated to the U.S.

                      Regards,

                      Lisa

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 16, 2003
                        Hello Lyn

                        > Yes. There is a connection. Your John was born
                        > 27/10/1864 in
                        > Peterhead according to the IGI. His parents are
                        > James Clubb and
                        > Isabella Watson. James is a brother to my Isabella.
                        > It is
                        > interesting to see that he ended up in the USA

                        How wonderful to know there is a connection. I would
                        love more information and thank you for wanting to
                        share it. I'm not sure if they emigrated as a family
                        or John came to the USA by himself.

                        Please feel free to contact me directly through my
                        e-mail.

                        Regards,

                        Lisa

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • rlyon@beeb.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                          Yes, it looks as though one of us may be wrong with the 1881 census
                          data for the John and Elizabeth Davidson living at 55 Longate St..

                          "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                          34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                          age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.

                          Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                          Their children would have been aged aroud 15 and 17 so it is
                          conceivable that by that age they could be elsewhere.

                          I have no other data on the John Davidson mentioned but will
                          explore this a little further to see if I can find out a little more about
                          him.

                          Elizabeths mother was Elspet Walker, my 2G Grandfathers first wife,
                          his second wife was Ann Thom born 1810 St. Fergus, to James
                          Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                          2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                          connection here?

                          Richard Lyon
                        • aliceuuk
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, <rlyon@b...> wrote:
                            Hi,
                            I also have a Davidson connection, so far I have only managed to find
                            two, they are my Gt Gt Grandmother Harriet Davidson I don't have a
                            date for her birth but she died in Aberdeen on 1st October 1929 she
                            was married to Robert Massie Saunders on 29 June 1861. then I have my
                            3x Gt Grandfather William Davidson born 1782 married to Isabella
                            Milne who I have a death for 11 February 1882.

                            Do any of these names connect with your own Davidson's.

                            Regards
                            Alice Urquhart
                          • Hazel Holt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 17, 2003
                              Hi Lyn,
                              Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can now add Isabella to that list.
                              Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to them.
                              I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if you are interested. Just let me know.

                              Hazel

                            • LynT
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                                Hello Hazel,

                                Great to hear from you.

                                > Thank you, I was aware that James Clubb and Mary-Ann Geddes were the
                                parents of Alexander Clubb but I did not have any of his siblings. I can
                                now add Isabella to that list.
                                > Do you have any other info on Isabella or her parents, I have yet to
                                look for anything on the parents, just trying to work my way backwards to
                                them.

                                Yes I have done a file for you which I will send to your email address as we
                                can't send attachments through the list.

                                > I have info on the decendandents of Alexander Clubb and Margaret Moir if
                                you are interested. Just let me know.

                                Thank you for that. Yes. I would whatever information you are willing to
                                share with me.

                                Regards
                                Lyn
                              • LynT
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 18, 2003
                                  Hello again Richard

                                  > "my" Elizabeth was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so she would be
                                  > 34, nearly 35 at the time of the census, one year out from the given
                                  > age of 33. Not unusual . The birth place entry though is correct.
                                  > Where and when was your Elizabeth born ? Was it also St. Fergus ?

                                  By my reckoning -
                                  "my" Elizabeth was born 14/4/1847 In St. Fergus also. The 1881 census was
                                  taken on 3 Apr. 1881 so "my" Elizabeth had not quite had her 34th. birthday.
                                  She was therefore 33 (as stated) when the census was taken.
                                  Similarly for John, he was christened 22/12/1836 so presuming he was born in
                                  that same year, he would have been 44 (as stated) when the census was taken.

                                  > Thom ( 1784-1872 ) and Isabella Chalmers ( 1788-1870 ) . Ann died
                                  > 2/9/1886 St. Fergus. As I see you are a Thom may there also be a
                                  > connection here?

                                  No I am not actually a Thom, I am a Thomas.

                                  The ball is in your court now <G>

                                  Cheers
                                  Lyn
                                • rlyon@beeb.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                                    I have looked at the marriage ( 6/10/1864 Peterhead ) details of John
                                    Davidson and Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon and find he was then
                                    aged 25 thus born in c 1839, and his parents are George Davidson
                                    and Margaret Smart.

                                    Elizabeth Ann Gordon Lyon was born 21/6/1846 in St. Fergus, so
                                    their respective ages at 1881 census would be 31 ( Elizabeth ) and c
                                    42 ( John ). This is compared with ages of 33 and 44 on the census
                                    entry.

                                    With confirmation that your Elizabeth was also born St. Fergus I must
                                    now agree that the couple at 55 Longate are not the John and
                                    Elizabeth Davidson on this branch of my tree.

                                    Further searching of the 1881 census for " my " John and Elizabeth
                                    Davidson and their children John ( b 26/10/1864 Peterhead
                                    )Elizabeth ( b 12/4/1866 Peterhead ) has not revealed anything so
                                    for the time being they must be " absent without leave " , perhaps
                                    they have emigrated.

                                    The similarities here drew me to the wrong assumption, but it was
                                    probably the St. Fergus birthplace that erroneously drew me in to this
                                    !

                                    Richard
                                  • rlyon@beeb.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 19, 2003
                                      Hello Alice,

                                      With reference to your message on the Davidson string I cannot see
                                      any connection.

                                      Regards

                                      Richard.
                                    • james martin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 29, 2003
                                        rlyon@... wrote:Have you tried the www.ellisisland.org website for searching for
                                        relatives who may have emigrated to the US. Once registered with
                                        this site, ( for free ) , you can search under your relatives names, and
                                        if successful in finding them you can view the ship manifests which
                                        go into great detail including in some instances the persons
                                        parentage, complexion, height, eye colour, amount of money in their
                                        pocket , where have they come from, their destination etc. etc.
                                        It covers the period of c 1892 to 1924, and even if this is a little too
                                        late you may find your relative made visits back to Scotland and
                                        returned to via Ellis Island in this period. The site also has
                                        illustrations of most of the ships for added historical flavour.

                                        Using it I rediscovered the movements, and marriage of a great uncle
                                        who emigrated to the US in 1906.

                                        Good luck with this if it is of help.

                                        Richard Lyon

                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT