Breaking the waves location

  • don.esslemont@paradise.net.nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
      On 7 Sep 2003 at 14:05, Judy Hand wrote:

      > ... I'm not sure about "Breaking the Waves" - the credits did not say
      > where it was filmed ... It was mainly centered on a white church on
      > the coast in the middle of nowhere ...

      The film was shot in Lochailort, Mallaig, Morar, and in Skye. The
      white church is at Mallaig.

      See http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fwaves.html

      Regards,

      Don

      **
      Don Esslemont, Director
      Decision Research Ltd, Box 5530 Wellington New Zealand
      Mobile: (64 2) 144 8769 Home:(64 6) 353 7016
      email: don@...
      http://www.decision.co.nz
      **
    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
        Hello Judy;
        I have not found a Peter Leslie in my family, although as you know Elizabeth Simpson Leslie, my gg grandmother had a son Peter. The Leslies were in Longside as well as Peterhead, have you looked there? I have a lot of information on John Leslies from several parishes around Peterhead. What data do you have on your John Leslie?
        I did a Google search for Breaking the Waves, and came up with this.
        http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fwaves.html
        Regards
        William
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
          Hi William
          I thought seen you are talking Leslies , i would get in on it.
          Do you know of this Leslie .
          Peterhead Marriage No 53, 13/10/1863 at Backgate Church of Scotland . Joseph Kean , ship carperter, bach age 23,
          Erroll Street ,parents , Robert Kean , carter [dead] and Helen Kean ms. Scott, married Ann J Leslie ,
          spin age 27, Backgate , parents Alexander Leslie , cooper,[dead] and Mary Leslie ms.Leask
          Witnesses William Leslie and John H. Leslie

          Ann and Joseph went to Canada , Ann Died and Joseph remarried
          Union Cemetery Ann Kean ms Leslie plot # 106 South Presbyterian
          The Head Stone reads as follows
          Farewell
          In Memory of Ann ,wife of Joseph Kean who died March 1878 aged 39years
          A faithful friend and companion dear.
          A tender partner lieth here
          Great is the loss that we sustain
          But hope in heaven to meet again
          Lyn Tilbury

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
            Thank you, Don and William, for sorting that out. The white church is
            definitely the one in the film, so I will tell my friend from Aberdeen!

            I have had only a cursory look at Longside for Peter Leslie, so I'll turn
            my attention there. Thanks for your help. As I said, I need to re-look
            at everything again. That's why I've been so quiet lately, but it won't
            last.

            Judy

            > On 7 Sep 2003 at 14:05, Judy Hand wrote:
            >
            > > ... I'm not sure about "Breaking the Waves" - the credits did not say
            > > where it was filmed ... It was mainly centered on a white church on
            > > the coast in the middle of nowhere ...
            >
            > The film was shot in Lochailort, Mallaig, Morar, and in Skye. The
            > white church is at Mallaig.
            >
            > See http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fwaves.html
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Don
            >
            > --
            > **
            > Don Esslemont, Director
            > Decision Research Ltd, Box 5530 Wellington New Zealand
            > Mobile: (64 2) 144 8769 Home:(64 6) 353 7016
            > email: don@...
            > http://www.decision.co.nz

          • William Leslie
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
              Hello Lyn;
              I have seen information on these Peterhead Leslies before. Strangely enough, in such a small town, I am unable to connect them with my Peterhead or Longside Leslies. There must be a connection back somewhere, but I don't add any names to my family tree unless I can find a reliable document.
              Thanks for the information.