For William Leslie

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
      Hello William

      It's nice to talk to you again. I have not had mch success since I last made contact, but I haven't really been working very hard on the Leslies recently. However, I do think my Peter Leslie was the son of a John Leslie, cooper, and this is based solely on the Pigot's Directory of 1825/6, which lists both a Peter and a John as coopers. On the other hand, they could have been brothers ... or not related at all. I don't know.

      I'm not sure about "Breaking the Waves" - the credits did not say where it was filmed, even though I sat till the end to find out. It was mainly centered on a white church on the coast in the middle of nowhere, but I thought it worth a mention.

      I think my next step is to find lair records for the senior Peter Leslie, still alive in 1826, but I don't know when they started. If I get anywhere, I'll let you know.

      Judy Hand

    • don.esslemont@paradise.net.nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
        On 7 Sep 2003 at 14:05, Judy Hand wrote:

        > ... I'm not sure about "Breaking the Waves" - the credits did not say
        > where it was filmed ... It was mainly centered on a white church on
        > the coast in the middle of nowhere ...

        The film was shot in Lochailort, Mallaig, Morar, and in Skye. The
        white church is at Mallaig.

        See http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fwaves.html

        Regards,

        Don

        **
        Don Esslemont, Director
        Decision Research Ltd, Box 5530 Wellington New Zealand
        Mobile: (64 2) 144 8769 Home:(64 6) 353 7016
        email: don@...
        http://www.decision.co.nz
        **
      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
          Hello Judy;
          I have not found a Peter Leslie in my family, although as you know Elizabeth Simpson Leslie, my gg grandmother had a son Peter. The Leslies were in Longside as well as Peterhead, have you looked there? I have a lot of information on John Leslies from several parishes around Peterhead. What data do you have on your John Leslie?
          I did a Google search for Breaking the Waves, and came up with this.
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ian and Lyn Tilbury
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
            Hi William
            I thought seen you are talking Leslies , i would get in on it.
            Do you know of this Leslie .
            Peterhead Marriage No 53, 13/10/1863 at Backgate Church of Scotland . Joseph Kean , ship carperter, bach age 23,
            Erroll Street ,parents , Robert Kean , carter [dead] and Helen Kean ms. Scott, married Ann J Leslie ,
            spin age 27, Backgate , parents Alexander Leslie , cooper,[dead] and Mary Leslie ms.Leask
            Witnesses William Leslie and John H. Leslie

            Ann and Joseph went to Canada , Ann Died and Joseph remarried
            Union Cemetery Ann Kean ms Leslie plot # 106 South Presbyterian
            The Head Stone reads as follows
            Farewell
            In Memory of Ann ,wife of Joseph Kean who died March 1878 aged 39years
            A faithful friend and companion dear.
            A tender partner lieth here
            Great is the loss that we sustain
            But hope in heaven to meet again
            Lyn Tilbury

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
              Thank you, Don and William, for sorting that out. The white church is
              definitely the one in the film, so I will tell my friend from Aberdeen!

              I have had only a cursory look at Longside for Peter Leslie, so I'll turn
              my attention there. Thanks for your help. As I said, I need to re-look
              at everything again. That's why I've been so quiet lately, but it won't
              last.

              Judy

              > On 7 Sep 2003 at 14:05, Judy Hand wrote:
              >
              > > ... I'm not sure about "Breaking the Waves" - the credits did not say
              > > where it was filmed ... It was mainly centered on a white church on
              > > the coast in the middle of nowhere ...
              >
              > The film was shot in Lochailort, Mallaig, Morar, and in Skye. The
              > white church is at Mallaig.
              >
              > See http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fwaves.html
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Don
              >
              > --
              > **
              > Don Esslemont, Director
              > Decision Research Ltd, Box 5530 Wellington New Zealand
              > Mobile: (64 2) 144 8769 Home:(64 6) 353 7016
              > email: don@...
              > http://www.decision.co.nz

            • William Leslie
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
                Hello Lyn;
                I have seen information on these Peterhead Leslies before. Strangely enough, in such a small town, I am unable to connect them with my Peterhead or Longside Leslies. There must be a connection back somewhere, but I don't add any names to my family tree unless I can find a reliable document.
                Thanks for the information.