Views of Peterhead

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      You probably all know this, but a friend from Aberdeen told me that the film "Breaking the Waves" was filmed in Peterhead, and it certainly did seem to have been, although I don't really know They show very little of the town but, for someone like me living on the other side of the world, it certainly gave me the feeling of bleakness and an idea of why people may have left.

      Just thought I'd mention it.

      Judy
      Auckland, NZ

    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        Hello Judy;
        I was in Peterhead a couple of weeks ago, still searching for information on my ggg grandfather John Leslie or more information about my gg grandparents James Leslie and Elizabeth Simpson Leslie. I also sat in the ANESFHS for several days searching censuses and other documents. I have yet to assess it all, since there were so many John Leslies and James Leslies there in the past.
        Practically every day we were there, cousins toured us around, and no one ever talked of a movie being filmed in Peterhead, however, one cousin drove us to the rugged north shore just west of Fraserburgh. We stopped at a little town at the bottom of a cliff, called Pennan Head, where the movie Local Hero (Burt Lancaster) was filmed. If you want to see pictures and read the story, just go to Google and insert - Movie Scotland Pennan Head, and you will get all you want to know.
        How is your Leslie search going in Peterhead? I have advanced since we compared notes in the 1990's, but I am stuck on John Leslie.
        Regards
        William Leslie

        You probably all know this, but a friend from Aberdeen told me that the film "Breaking the Waves" was filmed in Peterhead, and it certainly did seem to have been, although I don't really know They show very little of the town but, for someone like me living on the other side of the world, it certainly gave me the feeling of bleakness and an idea of why people may have left.

        Just thought I'd mention it.

        Judy
        Auckland, NZ

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor