Re: [Peterhead] Riddell (Riddle) & Murray

  • Ron Will
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
      Sandra ,
      I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
      If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I think they might give a more positive answer.

      ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven - maybe but Fife is a bit away )

      Kind Regards
      Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Will" <rwill@l...> wrote:
        > Sandra ,
        > I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of
        Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
        > If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I
        think they might give a more positive answer.

        > ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no
        recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven -
        maybe but Fife is a bit away )

        > Kind Regards
        > Ron

        Hi,
        According to GENUKI Aberdeenshire, Aberdour parish is in
        Aberdeenshire.

        http://www.urie.demon.co.uk/genuki/ABD/parishmap1.html

        The description of the parish is :-

        Boundaries
        On the north, it is bounded by the Moray Firth, along which it has a
        sea-board of about 5½ miles; on the east by the parishes of Pitsligo
        and Tyrie; on the south by the parishes of Tyrie and Strichen; and on
        the west by the parish of King-Edward, and by the burn of Chapelden,
        or Nethermill, which divides Aberdour and Gamrie parishes, and the
        counties of Aberdeen and Banff

        I also have ancestors listed as being born or lived in Aberdour Fife,
        is there two Parishes with the same name ?

        Regards,
        Jim
      • Ron Will
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
          Thanks , then thats the place known as New Aberdour
          > I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of
          Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
          > If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I
          think they might give a more positive answer.

          > ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no
          recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven -
          maybe but Fife is a bit away )

          > Kind Regards
          > Ron

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
            Hi Sandra & Ron,

            There is also an Aberdour parish in Aberdeenshire (No.169) on the border of Banffshire, between Gamrie and Pitsligo on the coast.

            There is also an Aberlour in Banffshire as sometimes it can be misread.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
              Sorry have been away and missed these threads till now.

              There is an Aberdour near Fraserburgh - the old parish is vey old and as the
              name implies there are new houses and a hotel there now hence New Aberdour.

              There are super caves you can get into at low tide- a great beach for kids,

              Margie

            • Mmm16dav@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
                A very large family of Murrays farmed at Buckie Farm on the outskirts of
                Peterhead for years -the farm is now one of the industrials estates on the
                outskirts of the town -

                Margie