Re: [Peterhead] Riddell (Riddle) & Murray

  • sandra & ian reid
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
      thank you Ron .....

      Interestingly I just received a photo of Samuel Riddel's monument and it states he was a native of Aberdeenshire. I'm not much on Scottish geography. Could there be an Aberdour Parish in Aberdeenshire? Is it possible the Aberdour in Fife used to considered part of Aberdeenshire?

      Thanks,
      Sandra
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
        Sandra ,
        I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
        If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I think they might give a more positive answer.

        ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven - maybe but Fife is a bit away )

        Kind Regards

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Will" <rwill@l...> wrote:
          > Sandra ,
          > I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of
          Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
          > If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I
          think they might give a more positive answer.

          > ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no
          recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven -
          maybe but Fife is a bit away )

          > Kind Regards
          > Ron

          Hi,
          According to GENUKI Aberdeenshire, Aberdour parish is in
          Aberdeenshire.

          http://www.urie.demon.co.uk/genuki/ABD/parishmap1.html

          The description of the parish is :-

          Boundaries
          On the north, it is bounded by the Moray Firth, along which it has a
          sea-board of about 5½ miles; on the east by the parishes of Pitsligo
          and Tyrie; on the south by the parishes of Tyrie and Strichen; and on
          the west by the parish of King-Edward, and by the burn of Chapelden,
          or Nethermill, which divides Aberdour and Gamrie parishes, and the
          counties of Aberdeen and Banff

          I also have ancestors listed as being born or lived in Aberdour Fife,
          is there two Parishes with the same name ?

          Regards,
          Jim
        • Ron Will
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
            Thanks , then thats the place known as New Aberdour

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
              Hi Sandra & Ron,

              There is also an Aberdour parish in Aberdeenshire (No.169) on the border of Banffshire, between Gamrie and Pitsligo on the coast.

              There is also an Aberlour in Banffshire as sometimes it can be misread.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
                Sorry have been away and missed these threads till now.

                There is an Aberdour near Fraserburgh - the old parish is vey old and as the
                name implies there are new houses and a hotel there now hence New Aberdour.

                There are super caves you can get into at low tide- a great beach for kids,

                Margie

              • Mmm16dav@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
                  A very large family of Murrays farmed at Buckie Farm on the outskirts of
                  Peterhead for years -the farm is now one of the industrials estates on the
                  outskirts of the town -

                  Margie