Riddell (Riddle) & Murray

  • sandra & ian reid
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hello again everyone.

      I am searching for information on two more families. The first is the Riddell family. I have records back to Samuel Riddell (or Riddle, the spelling seems to be interchangeable) b. 1789?, d.1874. born in Presb, Parish of Aberdour. They had 3 children, Samuel, John and a daughter. Samuel had a second marriage to Margaret Eddie, 1805-1896, and it was with his second with that he emigrated to Canada. I am uncertain if the Aberdour Parish is in the area north of Peterhead or down near Aberdeen. The fact that his son Samuel was born in Stuartsfield, Aberdeenshire makes me think that the family was from the Peterhead area. I do not know Samuel's wife's name.

      In Canada, Samuel Jr., married Elizabeth Murray. She was born in Peterhead in 1817. Her parents were William Murray 1788-1833 and Ann ?, 1789-1842. Their other children were Jean 1812, William 1813, Ann 1814, Mary, Robert 1820, George 1825, and Andrew? 1828.

      Any info or suggestions welcome.

      Sandra

    • Ron Will
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
        Sandra
        Aberdour is in Fife ........

        Aberdour,Fife,KY3 0TY

        Best Regards
        Ron Will

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • sandra & ian reid
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
          thank you Ron .....

          Interestingly I just received a photo of Samuel Riddel's monument and it states he was a native of Aberdeenshire. I'm not much on Scottish geography. Could there be an Aberdour Parish in Aberdeenshire? Is it possible the Aberdour in Fife used to considered part of Aberdeenshire?

          Thanks,
          Sandra

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
            Sandra ,
            I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
            If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I think they might give a more positive answer.

            ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven - maybe but Fife is a bit away )

            Kind Regards

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Will" <rwill@l...> wrote:
              > Sandra ,
              > I don't think so , perhaps Kincardineshire , but the boundary of
              Aberdeen / Kincardine stops / starts at Portlethen.
              > If you were to e-mail Fife Council / or Dundee City council I
              think they might give a more positive answer.

              > ( When I went to Peterhead Academy I have honestly no
              recollection of Aberdeen boundary going that far south . Stonehaven -
              maybe but Fife is a bit away )

              > Kind Regards
              > Ron

              Hi,
              According to GENUKI Aberdeenshire, Aberdour parish is in
              Aberdeenshire.

              http://www.urie.demon.co.uk/genuki/ABD/parishmap1.html

              The description of the parish is :-

              Boundaries
              On the north, it is bounded by the Moray Firth, along which it has a
              sea-board of about 5½ miles; on the east by the parishes of Pitsligo
              and Tyrie; on the south by the parishes of Tyrie and Strichen; and on
              the west by the parish of King-Edward, and by the burn of Chapelden,
              or Nethermill, which divides Aberdour and Gamrie parishes, and the
              counties of Aberdeen and Banff

              I also have ancestors listed as being born or lived in Aberdour Fife,
              is there two Parishes with the same name ?

              Regards,
              Jim
            • Ron Will
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                Thanks , then thats the place known as New Aberdour

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                  Hi Sandra & Ron,

                  There is also an Aberdour parish in Aberdeenshire (No.169) on the border of Banffshire, between Gamrie and Pitsligo on the coast.

                  There is also an Aberlour in Banffshire as sometimes it can be misread.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
                    Sorry have been away and missed these threads till now.

                    There is an Aberdour near Fraserburgh - the old parish is vey old and as the
                    name implies there are new houses and a hotel there now hence New Aberdour.

                    There are super caves you can get into at low tide- a great beach for kids,

                    Margie

                  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2003
                      A very large family of Murrays farmed at Buckie Farm on the outskirts of
                      Peterhead for years -the farm is now one of the industrials estates on the
                      outskirts of the town -

                      Margie