Reid,

  • sandra & ian reid
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hello everyone. I am a new member to this group.

      I had not been bitten by the genealogy bug when I visited Peterhead 9 years ago. Regrettably, the only relative in Peterhead that would have some information is now gone.

      I am researching several families from the area. The first is the Reid family. I have been only able to get as far back as Robert Reid (possibly born in St. Fergus/Rora?) who died before the 1851 census. His wife was Jane Ogston 1803?-1893 (her mother was Margaret Ogston) lived at 15 Dow's close according to the 1851 census. Her son James (possibly born in Seafield?) became a carting contractor/horse hirer.

      Any info would be much appreciated.

      Sandra

    • graceb23
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2006
        Sandra wrote:

        > I am researching several families from the area. The first is the Reid family. I have been
        only able to get as far back as Robert Reid (possibly born in St. Fergus/Rora?) who died
        before the 1851 census. His wife was Jane Ogston 1803?-1893 (her mother was Margaret
        Ogston) lived at 15 Dow's close according to the 1851 census. Her son James (possibly
        born in Seafield?) became a carting contractor/horse hirer.

        > Any info would be much appreciated.

        Sandra:

        Did you ever find more about your Reid family of Peterhead? They seem to connect with
        the Ogston/Thomson families who farmed at Mossside Techmuiry [Fraserburgh & Strichen]
        but who are apparently buried in Peterhead.

        There are a number of burials in St Peters Cemetery, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
        Your Robert Reid was buried 2 Dec 1848 in Lair A64.

        Also Alexander Reid was buried July 1830 aged 4 in Lair A63. John Reid aged 1, was buried
        13 May 1863 in Lair A64, the son of James Reid.

        John Reid aged under 1, was buried 10 Jan 1877 in Lair A63, son of Joseph Reid. Last,
        also buried in lair A63, is Jane O. Thomson, aged 78, and buried on 23 June 1896. [I
        beleive that Jane married William Thomson 1847 in Peterhead and farmed at Techmuiry]

        Interesting, the owners of these Lairs [and also lair A65 for William Thomson, age 85 of
        Fraserburgh, & buried 28 Jan 1902 ] were jointly, Mrs Robert Reid, Peterhead and James
        Ogston, farmer, Mossside [Techmuiry]

        Census data so far on these Reids of Peterhead for 1841 and 1851 :
        Piece: SCT1841/232 Place: Peterhead -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 1Civil Parish:
        Peterhead-Parish Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: - Folio: 1 Page: 11Address:
        Meethill Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
        REID Robert M 30 Publican Aberdeenshire
        REID Jean F 35 Aberdeenshire
        REID James M 10 Aberdeenshire
        REID Margaret F 5 Aberdeenshire
        REID John M 2 Aberdeenshire
        OGSTON Margaret F 75 Independent Aberdeenshire

        Piece: SCT1851/232 Place: Peterhead -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 5Civil Parish:
        Peterhead Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: - Folio: 174 Page: 9 Schedule:
        44Address: 15 Dow's Close Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where
        Born Remarks
        REID Jane Head W F 47 Inn Keeper Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
        OGSTON Margaret Mother W F 87 Aberdeenshire - Peterhead Disability: Blind
        REID James Son U M 20 Carter Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
        REID Margaret Dau U F 15 Scholar Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
        Page: 174/10
        REID Mary Jane Dau U F 6 Scholar Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
        JAMIESON Ann Servnt U F 21 House Servt Aberdeenshire - Peterhead
        NOBLE Andrew Servnt U M 13 Servant Aberdeenshire - Peterhead

        William Thomson, who died 1902 is mentioned on a monument in Strichen Kirkyard,
        erected by Jimmy Ogston Thomson - see message #3947 "Ogston/Thomson/Anderson
        in Peterhead" posted Wed Jun 7, 2006

        Anyway, I would like to learn more of your connection to the Reids/Ogstons. Also can
        anyone provide insights on these Reid, Ogston and Thomson families?
        Thanks all,

        Charlotte
      • Ciarÿffffffffffe1n May
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2006
          Hi,

          You might be interested to know that some of the Reid clan from Peterhead moved/sailed to Howth outside Dublin soemtime around the 1850s. I know this because my anscestor Nicholas John May who also came form Peterhead also came to Howth with them around that time. The families both set up fishmongering busiensses and Reids business is a very well established business in Dublin today. I am still trying to find Nicholas John May's parents who are reputed to be Edward May and Ellena Hughes both presumably from the Peterhead area but so far have had no sucess. Any assistance would be appreciated. Nicholas John May was born in 1829 and died at Howth in 1883.

          Regards

          Ciaran May