Re: [Peterhead] Ironmonger's shop

  • Marlyn Exmoor Pony Farms
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2003
      Hi Sheilagh, How wonderful to 'meet' you!
      I am married to Ian Holmes, son of Isobel Bruce, sister
      of your father Charles Bruce-or is he your grandfather? I had heard of you,
      as we have had contact with Charles Bruce ,Ian's cousin.
      The adress on this e-mail is from our daughter's, in Ontario Canada. We live
      in Nova Scotia Canada, but are here as Anne is expecting her first child
      anytime soon.
      I have done the Bruce & Diverall Families back to late 1700s.
      Ian's grandfather was Charles Bruce, he married Annie Hills and they had
      Lillian,Charlotte, Isobel, Marjorie and Charles.
      Charles Bruce was the son of Charles Bruce & Jeminia Diverall. Charles was
      the son of John Bruce & Ann Cowie, who was the son of Charles or John Bruce
      and Isabel Elrick.
      I won't give anymore details as I won't get it right. I don't have all my
      files with me! I think Anne may have some so I'll see what we can find here.
      Ian & myself-Elizabeth Blyth Taylor [known as Betty] were married in
      September 1961 and have 2 children. Andrew Ian b. 1962 and Anne Elizabeth b.
      1964. Andrew has 3 children and as I said we are waiting for Anne's first!
      That's probably enough for now and we look forward to hearing from you.
      Betty & Ian
      P.S. We know there was 'a rift' in the family-as there was in my own- we
      have NO interest in these past events at all!
    • sheilagh butlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26, 2003
        Hello Marge,
        My father was Charles Bruce as well as my grandfather - we left the
        Peterhead area in 1960, Chapel Street now certainly rings a bell, the shop
        seemed to be very deep with a fireplace showroom at the back. Many thanks
        for the info.
        Sheilagh

        >From: Mmm16dav@...
        >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Ironmonger's shop
        >Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:37:01 EDT
        >

        >Hi,
        >
        >Charlie Bruce the ironmonger's shop was in Chapel Street - near where
        >Currys
        >is now. As I am in my 60's and can remember shopping there regularly for my
        >parents, the son must also have been Charles. I am sure there is a photo on
        >the
        >site of the shop. If not I will try and get one ,
        >
        >Margie

      • Paul Readhead
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18, 2003
          To Betty & Ian Re: your posting 25th July 2003 about Holmes family from
          Peterhead.

          I picked up your reply to Sheilagh from the Peterhead Yahoo Group for
          family history work and see you have connections with the Holmes family from
          Peterhead. I have relatives with that name from Peterhead but back in 1800's
          and was wondering how far back you had details. I'm sure a lot of the family
          stayed in that area so may be there is a connection.

          My relatives were George Holmes who married Grace Stewart in Peterhead
          Oct 1821 they went on to have 6 children that I know of, James, Jean,
          Isabel, Grace, George and Agnes who is my 2nd Great grandmother. Agnes went
          on to marry my 2nd Great grandfather Charles Macaulay in Peterhead in 1856
          They lived for a while at 10 Queens Street Peterhead. If any of this links
          in please do contact me as I do not have any links with the Holmes at
          present.

          If this ties in with anyone else who see this then I would be glad to hear
          from them too

          Many thanks,

          Christiane Macaulay Readhead
          christiane@...
        • 2Barbara Croker
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2003
            Hi Paul,
            I'm interested in the James Stewart, who married George Holmes in Peterhead
            in 1821. My MILNE family lived for a time in Queen Street (during the time
            of the 1841 census). A son called James MILNE born 1839, married Elizabeth
            STEWART (born 1837 Peterhead) on 6. 1.1859 (witnesses John Fearnside and
            John Morrison). I haven't yet found Elizabeth's parents. Do you have any
            information on the James Stewart line?
            Regards,
            Barbara

            >From: "Paul Readhead" <paul.readhead@...>
            >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Ironmonger's shop
            >Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:38:01 +0100
            >
            >To Betty & Ian Re: your posting 25th July 2003 about Holmes family from
            >Peterhead.
            >
            > I picked up your reply to Sheilagh from the Peterhead Yahoo Group for
            >family history work and see you have connections with the Holmes family
            >from
            >Peterhead. I have relatives with that name from Peterhead but back in
            >1800's
            >and was wondering how far back you had details. I'm sure a lot of the
            >family
            >stayed in that area so may be there is a connection.
            >
            > My relatives were George Holmes who married Grace Stewart in Peterhead
            >Oct 1821 they went on to have 6 children that I know of, James, Jean,
            >Isabel, Grace, George and Agnes who is my 2nd Great grandmother. Agnes went
            >on to marry my 2nd Great grandfather Charles Macaulay in Peterhead in 1856
            >They lived for a while at 10 Queens Street Peterhead. If any of this links
            >in please do contact me as I do not have any links with the Holmes at
            >present.
            >
            >If this ties in with anyone else who see this then I would be glad to hear
            >from them too
            >
            >Many thanks,
            >
            >Christiane Macaulay Readhead
            >christiane@...

            E-mail just got a whole lot better. New ninemsn Premium. Click here