Ironmonger's shop

  • sheilagh butlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2003
      Hello,

      I want to trace my grandfather's family,Charles Bruce Ironmonger. There
      was a family rift and I know very little - he must have been born 1875 -80
      wife Anne or Annie. I believe his father was called either Charles or John.

      Can anyone help?

      thanks Sheilagh

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2003
        Hi,

        Charlie Bruce the ironmonger's shop was in Chapel Street - near where Currys
        is now. As I am in my 60's and can remember shopping there regularly for my
        parents, the son must also have been Charles. I am sure there is a photo on the
        site of the shop. If not I will try and get one ,

        Margie

      • Marlyn Exmoor Pony Farms
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25, 2003
          Hi Sheilagh, How wonderful to 'meet' you!
          I am married to Ian Holmes, son of Isobel Bruce, sister
          of your father Charles Bruce-or is he your grandfather? I had heard of you,
          as we have had contact with Charles Bruce ,Ian's cousin.
          The adress on this e-mail is from our daughter's, in Ontario Canada. We live
          in Nova Scotia Canada, but are here as Anne is expecting her first child
          anytime soon.
          I have done the Bruce & Diverall Families back to late 1700s.
          Ian's grandfather was Charles Bruce, he married Annie Hills and they had
          Lillian,Charlotte, Isobel, Marjorie and Charles.
          Charles Bruce was the son of Charles Bruce & Jeminia Diverall. Charles was
          the son of John Bruce & Ann Cowie, who was the son of Charles or John Bruce
          and Isabel Elrick.
          I won't give anymore details as I won't get it right. I don't have all my
          files with me! I think Anne may have some so I'll see what we can find here.
          Ian & myself-Elizabeth Blyth Taylor [known as Betty] were married in
          September 1961 and have 2 children. Andrew Ian b. 1962 and Anne Elizabeth b.
          1964. Andrew has 3 children and as I said we are waiting for Anne's first!
          That's probably enough for now and we look forward to hearing from you.
          Betty & Ian
          P.S. We know there was 'a rift' in the family-as there was in my own- we
          have NO interest in these past events at all!
        • sheilagh butlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 26, 2003
            Hello Marge,
            My father was Charles Bruce as well as my grandfather - we left the
            Peterhead area in 1960, Chapel Street now certainly rings a bell, the shop
            seemed to be very deep with a fireplace showroom at the back. Many thanks
            for the info.
            Sheilagh

            >From: Mmm16dav@...
            >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Ironmonger's shop
            >Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:37:01 EDT
            >

            >Hi,
            >
            >Charlie Bruce the ironmonger's shop was in Chapel Street - near where
            >Currys
            >is now. As I am in my 60's and can remember shopping there regularly for my
            >parents, the son must also have been Charles. I am sure there is a photo on
            >the
            >site of the shop. If not I will try and get one ,
            >
            >Margie

          • Paul Readhead
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18, 2003
              To Betty & Ian Re: your posting 25th July 2003 about Holmes family from
              Peterhead.

              I picked up your reply to Sheilagh from the Peterhead Yahoo Group for
              family history work and see you have connections with the Holmes family from
              Peterhead. I have relatives with that name from Peterhead but back in 1800's
              and was wondering how far back you had details. I'm sure a lot of the family
              stayed in that area so may be there is a connection.

              My relatives were George Holmes who married Grace Stewart in Peterhead
              Oct 1821 they went on to have 6 children that I know of, James, Jean,
              Isabel, Grace, George and Agnes who is my 2nd Great grandmother. Agnes went
              on to marry my 2nd Great grandfather Charles Macaulay in Peterhead in 1856
              They lived for a while at 10 Queens Street Peterhead. If any of this links
              in please do contact me as I do not have any links with the Holmes at
              present.

              If this ties in with anyone else who see this then I would be glad to hear
              from them too

              Many thanks,

              Christiane Macaulay Readhead
              christiane@...
            • 2Barbara Croker
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2003
                Hi Paul,
                I'm interested in the James Stewart, who married George Holmes in Peterhead
                in 1821. My MILNE family lived for a time in Queen Street (during the time
                of the 1841 census). A son called James MILNE born 1839, married Elizabeth
                STEWART (born 1837 Peterhead) on 6. 1.1859 (witnesses John Fearnside and
                John Morrison). I haven't yet found Elizabeth's parents. Do you have any
                information on the James Stewart line?
                Regards,
                Barbara

                >From: "Paul Readhead" <paul.readhead@...>
                >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] Ironmonger's shop
                >Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:38:01 +0100
                >
                >To Betty & Ian Re: your posting 25th July 2003 about Holmes family from
                >Peterhead.
                >
                > I picked up your reply to Sheilagh from the Peterhead Yahoo Group for
                >family history work and see you have connections with the Holmes family
                >from
                >Peterhead. I have relatives with that name from Peterhead but back in
                >1800's
                >and was wondering how far back you had details. I'm sure a lot of the
                >family
                >stayed in that area so may be there is a connection.
                >
                > My relatives were George Holmes who married Grace Stewart in Peterhead
                >Oct 1821 they went on to have 6 children that I know of, James, Jean,
                >Isabel, Grace, George and Agnes who is my 2nd Great grandmother. Agnes went
                >on to marry my 2nd Great grandfather Charles Macaulay in Peterhead in 1856
                >They lived for a while at 10 Queens Street Peterhead. If any of this links
                >in please do contact me as I do not have any links with the Holmes at
                >present.
                >
                >If this ties in with anyone else who see this then I would be glad to hear
                >from them too
                >
                >Many thanks,
                >
                >Christiane Macaulay Readhead
                >christiane@...

                E-mail just got a whole lot better. New ninemsn Premium. Click here