Re: [Peterhead] Travellers and tinkers information

  • gmarlewis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
      HI John
      I don't know if the following is of any interest to you

      Marriage of my g grandparents
      25 th DEC 1871

      GEORGE LEWIS married JEAN BUARTARLY at DINGWALL
      Their profession was stated as HAWKERS

      We have since found that the spelling of BUARTARLY was corrupted and should
      have read BERTORELLI

      George Lewis

    • jcka2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
        - My g grandfather is also listed in various sources as hawker
        and packman in the late 19th. Century. My grandmother told me that he
        travelled the countryside selling threads, buttons, needles etc. A
        hawker or packman(selling from a pack) was what we would call a
        travelling salesman today.
        When I was attending school in 1940's Peterhead there were at
        least three tinker families in town. They were rag and bone or scrap
        merchants. For obvious reasons I will not identify them.
        The tinker or Gypsy clan in Scotland is identified as the
        McPhees and today, many who bear that surname, are still on the road
        in Scotland.