Jane Birnie and William Abernethy

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2003
      I may have taken a wrong turn in my Birnie Family research and would appreciate any help a list member may be able to provide.

      Alexander Birnie b. 1777 Peterhead d. 1855 Peterhead
      In 1810 he married Fanny Henry b. 1775 d. 1861 Peterhead

      Alexander's Death Cert. gave the following information:
      Alexander Birnie, joiner; age 77; born Peterhead lived 77 years in district;
      Parents Alexander Birnie, joiner (deceased) and Margaret Findlater (deceased);
      Married to Fanny Henry;
      Children; Catherine aet. 12, 1823 , Margaret aet. 41, 1858 , Alexander 39, Fanny 36,
      Jean 34 and May 33
      Died January 15, 1855, Longate; Bronchitis 8 days; Buried Churchyard of Peterhead; Informant, Alexander Birnie, son.
      Will Probate: dated Jul 04, 1855, Aberdeen - Wright in Peterhead. The Will noted William Abernethy, of the Coast Guard Service as the spouse of his daughter, Jean (Birnie) Abernethy.

      I had located a bap. of Jane / Jean Birnie, Apr 29, 1820, Phd. where only the father, Alexander Birnie's name was shown. I felt Jane was the daughter of Alexander and Fanny. The 1841 Peterhead Census showed Jane Birnie age 20 F.S., living on Longate Street with an Alexander Birnie, age 27 and spouse Maria, age 20. Can anyone suggest what F.S following Jane's name would mean?

      LONGATE STREET
      Alexander Birnie 27
      Maria 22
      Maria 3
      James 2
      Alexander 6 months
      Jane 20 F.S.
      Christian 35
      Ann 11
      Alexander 5
      Betsey 2

      In 1841 Alexander Birnie and Fanny also lived on Longate Street.

      LONGATE STREET
      Alexander Birnie 63
      Faney 60
      Alexander 26 cooper
      Faney 23 shoe binder

      Now the problem lies in the recent copies of death certificates I have obtained for William Abernethy and Jane (Birnie) Abernethy.

      Jane Abernethy died Feb. 01, 1875, #2 Castle Street, Phd age 54. Married to William Abernethy, Coast Guard. Her parents are noted as Alexander Birnie, Joiner, deceased and Fanny Birnie, MS Hay (not Henry or Hendry), deceased. William Abernethy, husband, was the informant of Jane's death. Could he possibly have given the incorrect Maiden Surname of his mother-in-law? (Jane also had a sister Fanny Birnie who married Alexander Hay).
      ref. 232 / 00 0030

      William Abernethy's death cert., Dec. 11, 1894, Coast Guard (Naval Pension). Married 1st to Jane Birnie and 2nd to Eliza Cook. His parents were James Abernethy, Mason, deceased and Isabella Abernethy, ms Robertson, deceased. ref 232 / 00 0222

      I had felt I was right on track until Jane's mother was noted as Fanny Hay on the death cert. Sorry for the lengthy message but am eager for suggestions from the list.

      Regards,
      Linda Adam

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2003