any of hese familiar?

  • cindy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
      Hello,
      Here are some of the names which I have a little information on. Is anyone interested?

      Alexander Shivas Warrender b. April 1888 Peterhead M Ann Isabella Campbell d. 1974, Vancouver, BC
      James Warrender (cooper) b. 1862 Peterhead M Catherine Shivas d 19 Mar 1942 Vancouver, BC
      Catherine Shivas b. 1860, Ellon d 18 Apr 1947 Vancouver, BC
      James Warrender (cooper) b. 1824 Fraserburgh M Janet Dougal d. 17 Sep 1898, Peterhead
      Janet Dougal b. 12 Aug 1826 Longside d. 7 Oct 1903 Peterhead
      Alexander Shivas b. 1820 M Christian Black d. 11 April 1899 Udny
      Christian Black b. 1829, Inverurie d. 8 Feb 1908 Udny
      Robert Warre(a)nder (fishcurer) b. 20 Mar 1798, Lonmay M (1) Elizabeth Walls M (2) Barbara Bodie d 1858, Peterhead
      Elizabeth Walls b 1794 Peterhead (?) d. 1857 Peterhead
      William Dougal (cooper) b 1798 M Ann Rennie d. 6 Apr 1867 Peterhead
      George Shivas (farmer) b 1783 M Gordon Hall d 14 Jan 1869, Ellom
      James Warrender (farmer) born in 1770's M Mary Arthur
      George Shivas (farmer) M Isabella Webster Jun 1779 Old Meldrum
      Alexander Warrender 1730's M Elizabeth Kidd b. 9 Nov 1733, Lonmay
      Charles Black b 1790, Inverurie M Isabella Hall d. 1855 Inverurie
      Isabella Hall b 1790 d 27 Dec 1856 Fintray
      Thanks for your time.
      Cindy

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
        HI John
        I don't know if the following is of any interest to you

        Marriage of my g grandparents
        25 th DEC 1871

        GEORGE LEWIS married JEAN BUARTARLY at DINGWALL
        Their profession was stated as HAWKERS

        We have since found that the spelling of BUARTARLY was corrupted and should
        have read BERTORELLI

        George Lewis

      • jcka2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
          - My g grandfather is also listed in various sources as hawker
          and packman in the late 19th. Century. My grandmother told me that he
          travelled the countryside selling threads, buttons, needles etc. A
          hawker or packman(selling from a pack) was what we would call a
          travelling salesman today.
          When I was attending school in 1940's Peterhead there were at
          least three tinker families in town. They were rag and bone or scrap
          merchants. For obvious reasons I will not identify them.
          The tinker or Gypsy clan in Scotland is identified as the
          McPhees and today, many who bear that surname, are still on the road
          in Scotland.