Travellers and tinkers information

  • John S. Stuart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
      I am working on a thesis regarding the habits and migration patterns of North-East Scottish travelling families.

      I am particularly interested in any information on or about Peterhead families - or any other north-east groups.

      Any help gratefully received.

    • cindy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
        Hello,
        Here are some of the names which I have a little information on. Is anyone interested?

        Alexander Shivas Warrender b. April 1888 Peterhead M Ann Isabella Campbell d. 1974, Vancouver, BC
        James Warrender (cooper) b. 1862 Peterhead M Catherine Shivas d 19 Mar 1942 Vancouver, BC
        Catherine Shivas b. 1860, Ellon d 18 Apr 1947 Vancouver, BC
        James Warrender (cooper) b. 1824 Fraserburgh M Janet Dougal d. 17 Sep 1898, Peterhead
        Janet Dougal b. 12 Aug 1826 Longside d. 7 Oct 1903 Peterhead
        Alexander Shivas b. 1820 M Christian Black d. 11 April 1899 Udny
        Christian Black b. 1829, Inverurie d. 8 Feb 1908 Udny
        Robert Warre(a)nder (fishcurer) b. 20 Mar 1798, Lonmay M (1) Elizabeth Walls M (2) Barbara Bodie d 1858, Peterhead
        Elizabeth Walls b 1794 Peterhead (?) d. 1857 Peterhead
        William Dougal (cooper) b 1798 M Ann Rennie d. 6 Apr 1867 Peterhead
        George Shivas (farmer) b 1783 M Gordon Hall d 14 Jan 1869, Ellom
        James Warrender (farmer) born in 1770's M Mary Arthur
        George Shivas (farmer) M Isabella Webster Jun 1779 Old Meldrum
        Alexander Warrender 1730's M Elizabeth Kidd b. 9 Nov 1733, Lonmay
        Charles Black b 1790, Inverurie M Isabella Hall d. 1855 Inverurie
        Isabella Hall b 1790 d 27 Dec 1856 Fintray
        Thanks for your time.
        Cindy

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
          HI John
          I don't know if the following is of any interest to you

          Marriage of my g grandparents
          25 th DEC 1871

          GEORGE LEWIS married JEAN BUARTARLY at DINGWALL
          Their profession was stated as HAWKERS

          We have since found that the spelling of BUARTARLY was corrupted and should
          have read BERTORELLI

          George Lewis

        • jcka2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2003
            - My g grandfather is also listed in various sources as hawker
            and packman in the late 19th. Century. My grandmother told me that he
            travelled the countryside selling threads, buttons, needles etc. A
            hawker or packman(selling from a pack) was what we would call a
            travelling salesman today.
            When I was attending school in 1940's Peterhead there were at
            least three tinker families in town. They were rag and bone or scrap
            merchants. For obvious reasons I will not identify them.
            The tinker or Gypsy clan in Scotland is identified as the
            McPhees and today, many who bear that surname, are still on the road
            in Scotland.