Peterhead Old Parish Church

  • Ed Campbell
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 19, 2003
      Hello Wade:

      I am trying to locate a web site for "Peterhead Old Parish Church"

      What I would like to know if there is any chance they may have published a "history" of their church similar to that published by the Longside Parish Church -
      "Longside - A Parish and Its' People".

      Is there another name for the Peterhead Old Parish Church? I have a "news letter" dated March, 1994, however it does not give too much information on the history of the church.

      Any help would be appreciated. I especially want to determine if they have any BMDs which I could access.

      Thankyou,

      Ed. Campbell

      Re: COWIE, ROBERTSON, CAMPBELL

    • Ed Campbell
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
        Hello Bruce!

        Thanks for your reply.

        The book I referred to is available through:

        longsideparish.freeserve.co.uk

        The title of the Book is :

        Longside, A Parish and its People

        It is over 600 pages and is of the highest quality - both content and binding. It was printed by P. Scrogie, Peterhead. Researched and written by Vi and Sandy May and Gordon M Hay. Only 1000 copies printed and I have nbr. 933!

        I asked a question several months ago about a William Cowie (my grandfather) who farmed in Longside. A lady replied with the information about the book.

        Unfortunately, the lady I spoke with is off line for about two weeks; when she is back on I shall ask her permission to forward to you.

        I have no interest in the book as far as ownership or publication - strictly a genealogical interest.

        Ed.

      • Ed Campbell
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
          MY APOLOGIES:

          Good Morning Wade!

          That was my first problem; early in the a.m. in Edmonton, Alberta; and/or my brain is water soaked from all the wonderful rain we are receiving.

          Not only did I change your name to "Bruce" but I should have entered the url correctly regarding the book:
          It is www.longsideparish.freeserve.co.uk

          I am sure you are aware of the church - it is Longside Parish Church.

          Ed. Campbell

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
            Hello Ed;
            Thanks for the information on the Longside Parish Book. That is a great web
            site, and I intend to get a copy of that book. I am making my fourth trip to
            Peterhead next month, and I intend to visit Longside where my Leslie
            ancestors lived. my grandfather, great grandfather, gg grandfather and ggg
            grandfather Leslie were from Longside, and I am stuck on getting more
            information about my ggg grandfather John Leslie, born about 1800 in
            Longside.
            I thought that the question about the Muckle Kirk in Peterhead was about the
            old Statistical Accounts that the Parish Priests were required to file in
            the old days. I have those for Longside for 1791 and 1842, and these give a
            fascinating view of early life in this parish.
            http://edina.ac.uk/statacc/access/
            Regards
            William Leslie

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
              Hi Ed,

              I haven't come across a web page.

              Can you tell me more about the Longside book. Do you know who sells it?

              It is called the Old Parish Church, but people know it as the "Muckle Kirk". The registrations have been filmed by the LDS and can be borrowed from any of their Family History Centres. From 1855 Civil Registration began and the copies of the certificates were sent to Edinburgh GRO.

              Kirk Session records are only available in Edinburgh at the Scottish Record Office.

              I am trying to locate a web site for "Peterhead Old Parish Church"

              What I would like to know if there is any chance they may have published a "history" of their church similar to that published by the Longside Parish Church -
              "Longside - A Parish and Its' People".

              Is there another name for the Peterhead Old Parish Church? I have a "news letter" dated March, 1994, however it does not give too much information on the history of the church.

              Any help would be appreciated. I especially want to determine if they have any BMDs which I could access.

              Thankyou,

              Ed. Campbell

              Re: COWIE, ROBERTSON, CAMPBELL

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • sam
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 23, 2003
                The Old Parish Church of Peterhead (commonly known as the Muckle Kerk)
                celebrates its 200th anniversary in 2004. It is Church of Scotland and was
                designed by a Mr Laing of Edinburgh based on a church in the Edinburgh
                Canongate. The foundation stone was laid in 1804,took 2 years to build and
                was completed in 1806 by Mr P Scott stonemason at a cost of £3,575 12s.
                Seating 1,800 people, it was quickly named the Muckle Kerk (large church.
                There have been 28 clergymen up to the year 2003, the most famous of whom
                was Auld Swannie! In 1836, gas was installed; in 1848 the clock and bell
                installed in the spire. In 1896, the side congregational hall was added.
                In 1966, pews were removed to enlarge the chancel area and a new pulpit was
                erected in memory of the long serving minister Reverend Douglas Swan (Auld
                Swannie) who was there from 1915 to 1951. In addition to a new organ at a
                cost of £3,500, 2 stained glass windows made in Pluscarden Abbey were
                installed. It now seats about 1,500 and Rev Dr David Ross has been the
                incumbent for 24 years. The church spire is 118feet high.

                However, the Kerk in Peterhead has an even longer history.

                Before 1804, the Auld Kerk was near the beach where the Kirkburn entered the
                sea (below what is now Kirkburn Mills) and held 1,000 worshippers, being 78
                feet long and 39 feet wide. At that time the Peterhead-Aberdeen road ran
                along the coastline from the top of Broad Street. With its foundations
                built in 1770 in the sand, the church started to subside expediting a move
                to where it is now. The font in the present kerk came from this kerk.
                Between 1880 and 1806, the Established Church congregation worshipped in the
                English Episcopal Chapel in Chapel Street (at different times from them).

                Before 1770, the kerk was situated in the old cemetery on the links. The
                tower still remains standing and occasional evening services were held
                outside there up to at least the 1950s. It is thought this tower, dating
                from the 12th century, was part of an earlier 8th century church. The dykes
                around the kerk were sold in October 1803 to Robert Cordiner for £39.15s.
                This money was then used to build the porch on the new kerk.

                The following is taken from A History of Peterhead by JT Findlay (1933).

                The Church of St Peter (the Established Church) was built about 1218 by
                William Comyn, founder of the Abbey of Deer. Within the chancel there is a
                gravestone showing that Bessie King died on 8th July 1615. At this time,
                only the wealthiest had seats whilst the others stood in the nave or brought
                stools. The bell, which hangs from an axle tree bearing the inscription
                “Michael Burger-hoys, me fecit. 1647. soli Deo Gloria”, in the tower was
                cast in 1647 in the Netherlands; the tower itself has seen much repair and
                renovation. By 1770, St Peter’s had fallen into disrepair.
              • Himself
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                  Hello Ed et al,
                  I have some steel-plate engravings by the English engraver W.H Bartlett (1806-1855 apprx). They include a panoramic view of Peterhead viewed from somehere near where the Lido is. The Muckle Kirk is visible and, thoiugh tiny in scale, is clearly recognizable. If anybody is/are particlulary interested, I would be happy to sacn it and email a copy. I would do here and now, but we're not supposed to use RTF or attachments in these groups, I think

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                    I would be very happy to receive an e-mailed copy of the engravings. They sound fascinating!

                    Linda Adam

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                      A copy for me also please.

                      Sam

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                        Howdy!:

                        Surely would like to receive copies of your engravings.

                        Thanks,

                        Ed.

                        edcampbl@...

                      • Ed Campbell
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                          Hello "Sam":

                          Thankyou for the information about the Muckle Kirk. My mother, Marion Cowie, born July, 1894, Peterhead often spoke of this church. Her father had a bake shop on Queen Street, Chapel Street and finally at 81 Broad Street.

                          You mentioned the family pews; she also told us about how her family had a pew.

                          When is the anniversary going to be celebrated in 2004? I am dreaming! It would be a great year to visit Peterhead!

                          Once again, thanks for the "written picture"!!

                          Ed. Campbell
                          Searching: Cowie, Robertson, Moir, Lillie, Adams, Campbell

                        • Marie
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 24, 2003
                            Hi,

                            I would love to have a copy of the engravings.

                            Many thanks for making this available to one and all.

                            Marie
                            minbalup@...

                          • Mmm16dav@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 25, 2003
                              Dear Ricky,

                              I would be delighted to receive a copy

                              Margie

                            • Greg Suttle
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 25, 2003
                                Would you please send me a copy of the engravings. Thank you very much .

                                Sue
                              • LNewman473@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 25, 2003
                                  please could I also have a copy of the engraving .. thank you

                                  Liz

                                • 2Barbara Croker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 26, 2003
                                    I too would love to have a copy of the engravings. Barbara

                                    >Hello Ed et al,
                                    > I have some steel-plate engravings by the
                                    >English engraver W.H Bartlett (1806-1855 apprx). They include a panoramic
                                    >view of Peterhead viewed from somehere near where the Lido is. The Muckle
                                    >Kirk is visible and, thoiugh tiny in scale, is clearly recognizable. If
                                    >anybody is/are particlulary interested, I would be happy to sacn it and
                                    >email a copy. I would do here and now, but we're not supposed to use RTF
                                    >or attachments in these groups, I think

                                    http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp
                                  • Greg Suttle
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 21, 2003
                                      Hi group

                                      Would someone please be able to tell me the location of the Muckle Kerk. Is
                                      it on a corner?

                                      Thank you

                                      Sue
                                    • sam
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 22, 2003
                                        Corner of Erroll St and Charlotte St

                                        Try entering the address at www.map24.co.uk. The following link may or may
                                        not work
                                        http://www.map24.co.uk/map24/index.php3?map24_sid=f1956483f94eab95305929e4aa
                                        223418&street0=KIRK+ST&zip0=Post+Code&city0=Peterhead&country0=gb&gcf=1&mapt
                                        ype=JAVA&force_maptype=RELOAD&x=0&y=0

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 23, 2003
                                          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Suttle" <suttlesound@b...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > Hi group
                                          >
                                          > Would someone please be able to tell me the location of the Muckle
                                          Kerk. Is
                                          > it on a corner?
                                          >
                                          > Thank you
                                          >
                                          > Sue

                                          there is a picture of the kirk in the group photo's phd old & new
                                        • Greg Suttle
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 24, 2003
                                            Thank you to those who responded to my query regarding the Muckle Kirk.

                                            I have uploaded into the group photos, a photo of the church which was taken
                                            sometime in the early 1920's.

                                            Sue
                                          • Elisabeth Wilson
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 24, 2003
                                              At 10:08 PM 24/07/03, you wrote:

                                              >I have uploaded into the group photos, a photo of the church which was taken
                                              >sometime in the early 1920's.

                                              Can someone PLEASE post a step by step guide to finding the group photos??
                                              I could maybe contribute some if I knew where and how to put them.

                                              Many thanks, Elisabeth

                                              Elisabeth Wilson
                                              South Hobart, Tasmania
                                              SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen)
                                              DAVIDSON (Strichen)
                                            • jasphd2003
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 24, 2003
                                                copy & paste this link

                                                regards john
                                              • Elisabeth Wilson
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 5 2:03 AM
                                                  At 12:49 AM 25/07/03, John wrote:
                                                  >copy & paste this link

                                                  I have tried this and got the following message:

                                                  Error
                                                  GROUP_CHECK

                                                  gpg12.bc.scd.yahoo.com:GROUP_CHECK

                                                  I then went through the whole process of confirming and changing passwords
                                                  and still get the same message. Is the URL right? What am I doing
                                                  wrong? I would love to see the photos!!