Re: [Peterhead] James Florence- Whoops! I accidently pressed the send button

  • Angela Patterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi Marie and Jim,
      I have been following your postings with interest because I also have a
      FLORENCE ancestor who is proving very difficult to trace.
      James FLORENCE was born in approximately 1823 (according to 1851 census when
      he was living in Peterhead.) James FLORENCE married Mary SANGSTER in 1853.
      They had a daughter, Mary Ann, in 1850, before the marriage who does not
      show up in the IGI, and Jemima FLORENCE born 1853 who also does not appear
      in the IGI.
      Records of both Mary Ann's and Jemima's christenings were found in church
      records by Mary Ann's daughter when she visited Peterhead in the 1930's. I
      have a copy of her letter in which she transcribes the records. So the IGI
      is not complete by any means.
      I have been recording in a database every mention of a FLORENCE or SANGSTER
      in Aberdeen that I find but I have not been able to trace either James' or
      Mary Ann's families. I have been able to eliminate many James FLORENCEs
      though.
      Both James and Mary died in Australia and unfortunately their parents are
      unknown on their death certificates.

      In my efforts to eliminate different FLORENCE families I have purchased some
      extracts from the Scottish Registry and I have an extract of the death of
      James FLORENCE son of James FLORENCE and Isabella MOIR. He was a widower at
      the time of his death in 1856 and his mother was also deceased.

      Regards,
      Angela Patterson