Re: [Peterhead] James Florence

  • Marie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi Jim,

      Thank you for your email concerning James Florence and his wife
      Mary Falconer.

      Marriage date was 14/10/1826 Peterhead - the children all in
      born in Peterhead were
      James 4/3/1827 John 4/3/1829 Mary 9/1/1831 George 7/12/1834
      Alexander Stevenson 21/5/1837 William 8/8/1839

      In the 1841 census the family had Alexander Florence staying with them
      age 24 and I am sure this is my gtgtgrandfather. I was given the information from the death Index from Peterhead that James died in
      1856 and his parents were James Florence and mother was Isabella maiden name was Moir. I am hoping to have found the family I have been looking for.

      As you mentioned the IGI shows a James on the correct year 1800 but wrong parents and nothing else shows up for either James or Isabella Moir. So near and yet so far.

      I have found the list owner to be a great authority on the folk living in
      Peterhead and sometime ago he passed on the information above to me.
      Unfortunately I have just been doing bits and pieces of genealogy since 1999 at that time we thought my husband had been cleared from cancer only to have it turn up again so with visits to hospital for operations and treatment everything has become a little mixed up. He has won the battle once more so I am throwing myself into my history while I can.

      I guess because James was born in Auchterless does not mean his parents were from there but moved there after their marriage? So will have to keep searching more areas of Scotland.

      I am happy to share what I have and would be grateful for any bits and pieces you may find. As you are interested in Mary I guess we hang upon the same family tree just different twigs.

      Cheers for now and look forward to hearing from you

      Marie
      minbalup@...

    • Angela Patterson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Marie and Jim,
        I have been following your postings with interest because I also have a
        FLORENCE ancestor who is proving very difficult to trace.
        James FLORENCE was born in approximately 1823 (according to 1851 census when
        he was living in Peterhead.) James FLORENCE married Mary SANGSTER in 1853.
        They had a daughter, Mary Ann, in 1850, before the marriage who does not
        show up in the IGI, and Jemima FLORENCE born 1853 who also does not appear
        in the IGI.
        Records of both Mary Ann's and Jemima's christenings were found in church
        records by Mary Ann's daughter when she visited Peterhead in the 1930's. I
        have a copy of her letter in which she transcribes the records. So the IGI
        is not complete by any means.
        I have been recording in a database every mention of a FLORENCE or SANGSTER
        in Aberdeen that I find but I have not been able to trace either James' or
        Mary Ann's families. I have been able to eliminate many James FLORENCEs
        though.
        Both James and Mary died in Australia and unfortunately their parents are
        unknown on their death certificates.

        In my efforts to eliminate different FLORENCE families I have purchased some
        extracts from the Scottish Registry and I have an extract of the death of
        James FLORENCE son of

        > Thank you for your email concerning James Florence and his wife
        > Mary Falconer.
        >
        > Marriage date was 14/10/1826 Peterhead - the children all in
        > born in Peterhead were
        > James 4/3/1827 John 4/3/1829 Mary 9/1/1831 George 7/12/1834
        > Alexander Stevenson 21/5/1837 William 8/8/1839
        >
        > In the 1841 census the family had Alexander Florence staying with them
        > age 24 and I am sure this is my gtgtgrandfather. I was given the
        information from the death Index from Peterhead that James died in
        > 1856 and his parents were James Florence and mother was Isabella maiden
        name was Moir. I am hoping to have found the family I have been looking
        for.

        > As you mentioned the IGI shows a James on the correct year 1800 but wrong
        parents and nothing else shows up for either James or Isabella Moir. So
        near and yet so far.

        > I have found the list owner to be a great authority on the folk living in
        > Peterhead and sometime ago he passed on the information above to me.
        > Unfortunately I have just been doing bits and pieces of genealogy since
        1999 at that time we thought my husband had been cleared from cancer only to
        have it turn up again so with visits to hospital for operations and
        treatment everything has become a little mixed up. He has won the battle
        once more so I am throwing myself into my history while I can.

        > I guess because James was born in Auchterless does not mean his parents
        were from there but moved there after their marriage? So will have to keep
        searching more areas of Scotland.

        > I am happy to share what I have and would be grateful for any bits and
        pieces you may find. As you are interested in Mary I guess we hang upon
        the same family tree just different twigs.

        > Cheers for now and look forward to hearing from you
        >
        > Marie
        > minbalup@...

      • Angela Patterson